News New Mason Athletics Logo Coming Soon?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
NC State's Chancellor - equivalent to gmU President - and Vice Chancellor recently received a vote of no confidence from the faculty. The current chancellor is 67 years old. Let's hope they are stupid enough to hire former Wolfpack alum Gregory Washington. I am done with this dude.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The problem with *just* the script Patriots is that noone outside of Mason people will have a clue. "Oh, you're a New England fan!? Wrong colors, dude."

Tell that to the fans of the 42 teams of the Wildcats or the 3 teams named Rams in the A10

However I will say, maybe in 10 years we would be confused as the George Madison Colonials anymore.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just realized that the "G" is bigger than the "M". Had to copy the M over the G to verify.

1714160328320.png

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks for this...helps tie the whole thing together. I have to deal with stuff like this at work so I think it's helpful to see the whole rebranding as a full project, not just a single isolated logo.

I really like the type treatment...both standard and arched. Like it more than the logo for sure but it fits.

Love or hate the logo, these things aren't just something that can be spit out by design students in their spare time. It takes months to try and isolate a look and feel that is both unique and identifying while responding to the fluffy goals articulated by decision makers. All that mumbo-jumbo in the press release about being "accepting" and what not comes from the starter language you feed into the creative team as they try and meet you somewhere and come up with something to reflect it visually.

Yeah, it's a lot of money, more than it should be. But any rebrand done right is going to be that way. It's also almost certain that a rebrand is going to piss off people because new branding is new and doesn't have any sentimentality, while your old branding is tied up with emotions and subjective feelings that you'll never be able to replicate. You're basically asking people to take something they love and then tell them that this new thing is exactly the same as the old thing. Impossible task.
I don’t know of anybody who feels sentimental about the star. Criticism of the new logo is not rooted in any way in emotion/attachment to that turd. Both can be and are bad.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know of anybody who feels sentimental about the star. Criticism of the new logo is not rooted in any way in emotion/attachment to that turd. Both can be and are bad.
It's not the star, it's the brand as a whole.

It's like when they re-cast a character on a TV show and people lose their shit. The old actor had developed an emotional conneciton with the audience; the new one has not and is attempting to do the same thing the old actor did. Even if the new actor is better, and no one liked the old actor, it puts a burden on the audience to form new connections to the new actor while the production as a whole is like "hey, this new character is even BETTER than the old one! Just give it a shot!"

These are just regular challenges with re-branding, not a comment on whether or not the new logo is good or bad.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It should come as no surprise that the Jinx of Paul has struck again. Paul Allvin is the chief Branding Officer of GMU and oversaw this logo mess.

For the newbies....
Paul Westhead
Paul Hewitt aka The Virus
Dave PAULsen
And now we induct,
Paul Allvin.

The Jinx of Paul lives on at Mason. Running the system that forces square pegs into round holes, while thinking you are creating a multidimensional team, yet every player looks and is the same, all the while taking a 3 year season to build a logo that looks like Fairfax Elementary submitted....hats off to you Paul Allvin....you fit right in.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have been looking for this one. It says from the 1980s, but I thought it was older. 79 might remember.

The new logo reminds me of this.

View attachment 2296
No, can't say as I do.
We had a green with gold trim GMU (like on the basketball jerseys) on a cap with a white front and either a green or gold bill.
I had a 3/4 length sleeve tee that said George Mason University on the front...in RED!
AND, the shirt was white with RED sleeves. We were screwing things up even then. :p

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It's not the star, it's the brand as a whole.

It's like when they re-cast a character on a TV show and people lose their shit. The old actor had developed an emotional conneciton with the audience; the new one has not and is attempting to do the same thing the old actor did. Even if the new actor is better, and no one liked the old actor, it puts a burden on the audience to form new connections to the new actor while the production as a whole is like "hey, this new character is even BETTER than the old one! Just give it a shot!"

These are just regular challenges with re-branding, not a comment on whether or not the new logo is good or bad.
I get that. But sometimes the new is total crap. Like now.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I get that. But sometimes the new is total crap. Like now.
I always liked Dick York as better than Dick Sargeant, even though both were good. In this case, the star and the whateveritis both stink.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Hi, my name is Dave . . . And I like the star. In fact, I like the star by itself. No "Mason", no "Patriots". Just the star.

I also thought the "quill" logo everyone seems to be fond of was just a flag up until maybe a year ago, so I'm not a big fan of that one.

But both are far better than this "GM" crap. How embarrassing.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They spoke to 150 people, parents, students, alum and employees via zoom and also had a survey completed by 1,500 people before creating the new logo. They also hosted a viewing at the Science and Tech building (I think) a couple months ago that absolutely no one went to. There was opportunities. Did you take advantage of them?

I think the feeling was that Mason didn’t really have an identity to follow. It doesn’t really have a history to lean on. They wanted something basic that could be used by all as they’re not going to allow different programs to design their own logos anymore. They didn’t want to use the Baseball logo because they thought it would be lame to have a whole logo drop with a logo we already have.

I’m not gonna defend the logo, I understand each person will have an opinion. I won’t change that, but if you have questions about the process I’m happy to help answer or find the answer.

I think the one thing I’ve realized about Mason fans, and people in general as I age is that people won’t care until they’re outraged.

You generally know that I am a caring a fan, as I know you are as well.. I can count on one hand the number of home games I failed to attend. If there was on opportunity to participate in the development of the new logo then I was never apprised by Mason admin. It's all spilled milk now, though.