News New Mason Athletics Logo Coming Soon?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
My guess about the quill is similar to the hatred of the star. For years and year fans on here said we aren't the stars, so having a star or anything in our logo that wasn't a patriot wouldn't do. I'm guessing that might have ruled out any non-patriot symbols like a quill... and we all know we weren't getting a patriot.
But … the quill … is a reference to … the historically monumental writings of George Mason.

Who was, among other things, a patriot.

They should probably just rename the university at this point. Something soul-sucking that fits the new logo would be the cherry on top of this sh!t sundae.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Stole this somewhere

1714140161813.png

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
100% with you- that's probably one of the reasons it took 3 years.

Stop making too much sense! this is the internet! LOL
I'll go one step further and draw everyone's ire: I think "Mason" was the correct way to brand and we should've dropped "George" off the front end. Everyone I know already just calls it "Mason". But I get why we'll never do that.

By George.

Starter

I'll go one step further and draw everyone's ire: I think "Mason" was the correct way to brand and we should've dropped "George" off the front end. Everyone I know already just calls it "Mason". But I get why we'll never do that.

We tried, it didn’t stick.

I think the reason we stayed away from the U, is because of vcu and JMU and ODU kinda (it’s written out in their logo)

I know one of the reasons we didn’t go with the M logo is because of all the other schools that do it, Michigan, Mercer, Mississippi, Maryland etc.

I understand calling GiantKiller state media, I really do, I admit that we have taken our platforms and tried to help Mason grow its public image which has networked us into certain relationships that have to be honored. It was actually our goal from the start, to just supply content and try and make Mason seem cooler than it is. Now we’re just more deeply involved than we ever thought. It’s an interesting space to navigate. But do I love the logo? No, I just know it’s permanent. I’m fine with it. It’s mid, it’s grown on me and I’ll buy some merch and see how it feels.

I’ve been kept informed about this rebrand since the very start and I’m happy to answer any questions or chat about it. Half of GK hates it too, we have been debating internally for months.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Okay - this couldn't be further from the truth here and it comes across as sour grapes and jealousy. I suspect this is venting but regardless.

They actually did get public opinion, they had a public viewing session (which nobody showed up to and @By George mentioned) and did get folks involved. They are not going to be able to solicit feedback from everyone, that's just not possible.

They didn't even solicit feedback from me, someone who is visible connected and lives 250 miles away. I'm fine with that.

We can be upset with the logo, we can be upset with the process, but lets not make it like they should have asked every single person affiliated with Mason for an opinion.
Sorry, but you're off base with my post.
It seemed from what I read here that the process was secretive. If I was wrong, I was wrong, but based on my interpretation of what I read, I stand by my post. Again, maybe I was wrong, but I'm not apologizing for the way I read things

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry, but you're off base with my post.
It seemed from what I read here that the process was secretive. If I was wrong, I was wrong, but based on my interpretation of what I read, I stand by my post. Again, maybe I was wrong, but I'm not apologizing for the way I read things
We're just talking here. But I'm not sure what you are looking for here. I dont' think the process was secretive by any stretch, but only involved certain folks. There is no way something like this is going to be fully public or visible other than at the public viewing sessions.

If that means secretive to you, thats fine.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We're just talking here. But I'm not sure what you are looking for here. I dont' think the process was secretive by any stretch, but only involved certain folks. There is no way something like this is going to be fully public or visible other than at the public viewing sessions.

If that means secretive to you, thats fine.
We're good.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Here is the George Mason athletics brand guidelines for those interested:

Pdf File
Thanks for this...helps tie the whole thing together. I have to deal with stuff like this at work so I think it's helpful to see the whole rebranding as a full project, not just a single isolated logo.

I really like the type treatment...both standard and arched. Like it more than the logo for sure but it fits.

Love or hate the logo, these things aren't just something that can be spit out by design students in their spare time. It takes months to try and isolate a look and feel that is both unique and identifying while responding to the fluffy goals articulated by decision makers. All that mumbo-jumbo in the press release about being "accepting" and what not comes from the starter language you feed into the creative team as they try and meet you somewhere and come up with something to reflect it visually.

Yeah, it's a lot of money, more than it should be. But any rebrand done right is going to be that way. It's also almost certain that a rebrand is going to piss off people because new branding is new and doesn't have any sentimentality, while your old branding is tied up with emotions and subjective feelings that you'll never be able to replicate. You're basically asking people to take something they love and then tell them that this new thing is exactly the same as the old thing. Impossible task.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Not all hope is lost. Some of those looks aren't bad. I like the new logo on the Patriot's hat. That should be center court. Have open tip-offs on the face of Patriot Pat.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Not all hope is lost. Some of those looks aren't bad. I like the new logo on the Patriot's hat. That should be center court. Have open tip-offs on the face of Patriot Pat.
Not gonna lie script Patriots at center court with the new GM logo and the Patriot on either end would look pretty sweet...won't happen since the script Patriots is the alt logo but I think that would look pretty fresh

Say what you want about the Mason plus the star...it pops. I thought it worked fine. Not great, but solid.

Explain to me how this new logo in any way pops out at you?

Shit the Adidas logo pops more in the shirts the athletic dept just Tweeted out. And is way to big. It's so bizarre.

GM is a horrible brand anyway, but even the baseball GMs were way better, actually popped out a little bit.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The problem with *just* the script Patriots is that noone outside of Mason people will have a clue. "Oh, you're a New England fan!? Wrong colors, dude."