Coaching Search Thread

Herndon

All-Conference
I can be in with a boom or bust type hire. Otherwise we are looking another ho hum hire. I would think you might be, too. Seems to me the only way we hit above our investment.

Now, this assumes we aren’t going to increase our base salary. I’ve eaten plenty of crow today, so maybe I shouldn’t make that assumption.
Well, there's exactly the rub. I have long made the case on this board that if we want to have a top level program then we need to act like a top level program. if we want to continue to Bojangle around and penny pinch, then yes, you're probably right, but we should know that there's just as much chance that the guy failed miserably as that he succeeds wildly.

Middle of the pack input gives you an expected value of middle of the pack output.

You can get lucky, but that's all it is. If we want to be a big boy, we should spend like big boys

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Langel_Matt%20(web).jpg

MATT LANGEL

Bricker

Starter
Both Hewitt and Paulsen were pretty "safe" hires in the grand scheme of things.

This was my main gripe with Paulsen initially. I grew to like him after a couple of seasons as a guy who could get the program back out of the gutter. But when I first heard it, I felt it was probably the most underwhelming move we could have made when we had basically nothing to lose. Admittedly, I didn't know much about him, but felt that it was tough to really get a feel for him and his record considering he was able to utilize an NBA-level big (whether her lucked into him or not) at Bucknell. But hey, I don't think anyone else wanted the job. What are ya gonna do?

Time to go big or go home. We need somebody young, hungry and EXCITING. That is all. I just hope Mason is considered a desirable landing spot for an up-and-comer. We'll see...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I would argue overall that Mason is a better job than it was in 2015. There have been some improvements. Marginal, but improvements.

Now you get in the next coach, and he can take the improvements and with proper support take them from a 3 out of 10, to a 6 or 7 (being modest because lets be real, its Mason). Get the 2nd phase of the practice facility done, and lets rock and roll.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He was an assistant with Larranaga at Miami. put together several top 10 recruiting classes while there. Put together the UR class that went to the sweet 16. Recruited bones.

As much as he has ties to fingerpaint university, if he recruited Bones Hyland I think you have to take a look at him.

And if its a guy who can tell Mason to do things and get shit done in a non mason way, sign me up too.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This was my main gripe with Paulsen initially. I grew to like him after a couple of seasons as a guy who could get the program back out of the gutter. But when I first heard it, I felt it was probably the most underwhelming move we could have made when we had basically nothing to lose. Admittedly, I didn't know much about him, but felt that it was tough to really get a feel for him and his record considering he was able to utilize an NBA-level big (whether her lucked into him or not) at Bucknell. But hey, I don't think anyone else wanted the job. What are ya gonna do?

Time to go big or go home. We need somebody young, hungry and EXCITING. That is all. I just hope Mason is considered a desirable landing spot for an up-and-comer. We'll see...

To be fair, the job is a lot more attractive now than it was 6 years ago. New practice facility, improvements to EBA, more charter flights and more $ for the assistant coaches than we spent in the CAA. We should be able to hire an A-10 caliber coach.

Bricker

Starter
To be fair, the job is a lot more attractive now than it was 6 years ago. New practice facility, improvements to EBA, more charter flights and more $ for the assistant coaches than we spent in the CAA. We should be able to hire an A-10 caliber coach.

I hope you're right!

NewPatriot

Starter
As much as he has ties to fingerpaint university, if he recruited Bones Hyland I think you have to take a look at him.

And if its a guy who can tell Mason to do things and get shit done in a non mason way, sign me up too.

Exactly

Look at bio.

https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jamal-brunt/487

Add to that that he engineered this years vcu defense which jz 14th nationally in defensive efficiency, 1st in block, 3rd in steal %, 1st to %, top 30 in 3pt % defense.

He is the associated head coach whicb means be runs the program alongside rhoades.

Its time for mason to go big or go home.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Caputo has basically been the head coach for the past couple seasons at Miami, and that’s why Miami is slipping

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Let us take a minute to recognize the ultimate one from the 90's, Mr. Paul Westhead.

I gotta admit, I was a fencer concerning Dave but I also have to admit I haven't been this excited since the ultimate hire.

I was a little excited when we hired Hewitt and I got married and then we killed Bin Laden all in the same week or so but I am really jazzed now.
I haven't been this excited about Mason Basketball in, probably, more than a decade. Part of it is probably the initial thought that it wasn't going to happen, then at the last second, BAM, take that! Way to play your cards BE. I don't think I have ever been this happy to eat crow.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Edwards waited to hear the Archie Miller news. He’s the top target. Reliable source hahah

I like, perhaps, that it looks very well like a few of the top candidates are ex NBA players.

One thing that has always hurt us, even from maintaining our final four bump, is the lack of any recent real NBA players.

Look at how much L talked about Antonio Daniels, or Hewitt with Bosh/Favors, or even DP with Muscala. That's huge for recruiting.

This school could use a JJ Barea, Fred Van Vleet, whoever...anyone to play in that league from this school more recent than like Ric Wilson.. May not happen, but a guy who actually played in the NBA can at least sell it.