Coaching Search Thread

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Men's Coach will have to be a minority hire.

Women's can get by with a non minority since it will most likely be woman.

It's in the new University Diversity plan. SECTION D, Page 32.
You are kidding right?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hiring a good college basketball coach is so risky. A good AD will try to mitigate the risk by hiring an existing head coach who has proven he can win. Only if we can't get Pat Kelsey or a similar proven HC should we look to hire an assistant.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
What happened to Jay Larranaga going to get an NBA HC job any day now (said people six years ago)? His lack of HC experience and recent college experience probably means he is not likely an ideal candidate anymore.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What happened to Jay Larranaga going to get an NBA HC job any day now (said people six years ago)? His lack of HC experience and recent college experience probably means he is not likely an ideal candidate anymore.

He was head coach of the Irish National Team for two years and the Erie Bay Hawks for two years. But, yeah, taking someone who hasn't even been an assistant at the college level at this point would be a massive gamble.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Going to be very tough to overlook the Tony Skinn support. His name is being brought up by a lot of people, and the former players are making their opinion known.

I think Kim English would be a fantastic hire, but the level of excitement Tony would bring is probably unmatched among realistic candidates.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd love to see a former Mason player as an assistant coach on the new staff. And I think that's more realistic. Brad needs to get his guy, not make a nostalgia play.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Going to be very tough to overlook the Tony Skinn support. His name is being brought up by a lot of people, and the former players are making their opinion known.

I think Kim English would be a fantastic hire, but the level of excitement Tony would bring is probably unmatched among realistic candidates.

I love our former players and their passion, but they’ll have absolutely no say in the next hire. Some have carved out nice careers overseas and in the private sector, but it’s not like we have any NBA players with the kind of money or influence remotely capable of swaying the decision.

I’m all for a Tony Skinn hire if the search committee and Edwards do their due diligence and determine he’s the right guy. He’s got great experience as an assistant at a great program and reportedly has great recruiting ties in the DMV. I just don’t want a nostalgic hire based on the fact that he played for us 15 years ago.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Whoever the HC is going to be, he should consider Lamar Butler as an assistant. Can even start him as a 3rd assistant. By year 2 or 3, he will be tops. Brad gets his guy and the nostalgia element creates additional spark.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Whoever the HC is going to be, he should consider Lamar Butler as an assistant. Can even start him as a 3rd assistant. By year 2 or 3, he will be tops. Brad gets his guy and the nostalgia element creates additional spark.

I would love to see a former great on the sideline. But has he been trying to get a college gig? If so, why has he not landed on a team? If he hasn't been trying to get into the college coaching game, why not?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That's a damn good point Walter. Also a great example of how nostalgia can lead one down the wrong path. I loved Lamar the player but don't know shit about his coaching.

As for former players speaking out in support, do we know why they didn't support the previous regime? Was Paulsen pushing em away or BE? Marsh? Lol