Coaching Search Thread

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I doubt it - Brad is going to need a coach to win - that goal and the money that follows will drive the decision not points on a demographic board - regardless of race or sex - they need a winner. Besides in the new math - you can check out any box that you identify with.

So --- the real question is - what available candidate is the best option out there -- and will we throw money at it.
I was more referring to bringing up the topic of race unprompted. I’m a white guy whose wishlist is Skinn, English, and Christian Webster, so I guess that makes me “woke”.

Totally agree on absolutely needing a winner. This hire makes or breaks his future in my opinion. Curious what he will value in this hire.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
While I will not turn this into a politics thread....how do you not deny the President's new directive about the University and it's diversity plan and how it influences hiring?

It's there...it's reality.
You're correct - you won't turn this into a politics thread. General warning for everyone - we are watching and will quickly react with appropriate action. The diversity plan and how it influences this hire are important and can be discussed, but as soon as someone makes it political, that's going to be where it stops.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Make or break hire on so many levels. Kinda hope we pull the trigger quick, don’t want to lose out on someone or have someone get cold feet after the news dies out.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So this goes back to what I said last summer.

Brad had a new boss, Dave had a new boss.

Dave did not show well to his new boss who apparently loves basketball. Nyla didn't show well, although the writing was on the wall.

Now Brad gets the chance but if he gets the men's hire wrong, he is toast. The Woman's hire too.

OP
B

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...mmitment-recruiting-nations-no-1-point-guard/

"The five-star point guard also credited assistant coach Kim English for recruiting him to Tennessee."

I recognize Tennessee and the SEC are completely different, but one of the biggest knocks on Paulsen was his inability to recruit A-10 level talent.

Kim English has proven he can recruit and he's from Baltimore, so he'll know the DMV well.

KAOriginal

All-American
I was more referring to bringing up the topic of race unprompted. I’m a white guy whose wishlist is Skinn, English, and Christian Webster, so I guess that makes me “woke”.

Totally agree on absolutely needing a winner. This hire makes or breaks his future in my opinion. Curious what he will value in this hire.

Uh...you are just a sports guy picking the best candidates that you think would do a good job.

I just want George Mason University to emerge from this exercise as a local, regional, and national beacon for the advancement of anti-racism, reconciliation, and healing

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Uh...you are just a sports guy picking the best candidates that you think would do a good job.

I just want George Mason University to emerge from this exercise as a local, regional, and national beacon for the advancement of anti-racism, reconciliation, and healing
I want to win basketball games, my degree or the reputation of my alma mater are a very distant 2nd.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So this goes back to what I said last summer.

Brad had a new boss, Dave had a new boss.

Dave did not show well to his new boss who apparently loves basketball. Nyla didn't show well, although the writing was on the wall.

Now Brad gets the chance but if he gets the men's hire wrong, he is toast. The Woman's hire too.
So, who is busier right now: Brad Edwards looking for two head coaches in Mason's premier sport or an accountant with that big deadline looming?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The only question I have about Skinn is, if he wasn't a Mason grad from our FF team, would we even consider him? Now having said that, I would support Skinn 100%.

I’d say his ties to a local AAU powerhouse, his professional experience as a player overseas and in the Olympics, coupled with his experience as an assistant on the Coach L tree at LA Tech and at a Big East school, I’d say if we knew about him. Yes.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So, who is busier right now: Brad Edwards looking for two head coaches in Mason's premier sport or an accountant with that big deadline looming?
Doubt Brad is leading the search for the women’s coach. He’s probably organized an internal search committee for that.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Its a great question. 2 coaches for 2 marquee sports..

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
While I will not turn this into a politics thread....how do you not deny the President's new directive about the University and it's diversity plan and how it influences hiring?

It's there...it's reality.

Lets turn it from "politics" to finance - want to wager on which demographic boxes will be checked as a driver - or will it be a straight up play to win big.