Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenterCourt

Four-star Recruit
#1. Woulda Coulda Shoulda....we are our record.
#2. Players and coaches are responsible for execution.....if your team fails to execute your plan every single game....what are you doing to fix that? Also, the team is soft......as is our coach. Perhaps they have adopted his attitude.
#3. If the same issues arise every game.......youd think they would adjust in practice. But seeing how we still struggle with inbounds, offense, mental lapses, rebounding, interior scoring....Im not sure what they do in practice. For all we know, they play a nice game of go fish and patty cake given the lack of physical nature on our team.

1: I don't disagree that they are what their record is. I have seen improvements lately that I find encouraging. The Umass loss was crushing.. Fact is good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose...I was surprised they even showed up for the next game to be honest.

2: I think we have played our best BB since we started the A10 schedule. To me they have been focusing on the offense, there have been improvements. I don't they have "failed to execute the plan" in the A10 games. The first three teams were better than Mason. RI was the game I felt like we had better talent. I'm not sure how you coach mental toughness. .. I also don't know how you coach the problems that J2 has... you would have to change who he is to make him tough. Some guys are just pussies. ..

3: they certainly have some things to work on in practice, no doubt. I wish they would work on finishing after getting fouled. Like take that pad they hit them to simulate contact, and knock them on their asses... drives me freaking nuts... I am sure the coaches are working with dopes on fouling... it appears to me that he may not be very bright... he is probably not as good as we thought he was. I'm no expert but my guess is he has shitty footwork and he is lazy and just sweats at the ball... I'm not sure how you fix mental mistakes like dribbling behind your back in between two defenders, in practice.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
About Copes, it also took Morrison until his senior season to remember not to leave his feet after every ball fake. His block numbers went way down, but so did his fouls and his defense improved when he finally got the concept of keep good guarding position and use your position, your strength and your length to bother the shooter."

I'm also not a fan of the "Dopes" nickname. It's very derogatory in nature and unnecessary.

Patriotfan49

Starter
1: I don't disagree that they are what their record is. I have seen improvements lately that I find encouraging. The Umass loss was crushing.. Fact is good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose...I was surprised they even showed up for the next game to be honest.

2: I think we have played our best BB since we started the A10 schedule. To me they have been focusing on the offense, there have been improvements. I don't they have "failed to execute the plan" in the A10 games. The first three teams were better than Mason. RI was the game I felt like we had better talent. I'm not sure how you coach mental toughness. .. I also don't know how you coach the problems that J2 has... you would have to change who he is to make him tough. Some guys are just pussies. ..

3: they certainly have some things to work on in practice, no doubt. I wish they would work on finishing after getting fouled. Like take that pad they hit them to simulate contact, and knock them on their asses... drives me freaking nuts... I am sure the coaches are working with dopes on fouling... it appears to me that he may not be very bright... he is probably not as good as we thought he was. I'm no expert but my guess is he has shitty footwork and he is lazy and just sweats at the ball... I'm not sure how you fix mental mistakes like dribbling behind your back in between two defenders, in practice.

I hear you and really dont disagree much with any of that. I just think its a perfect storm of player deficiencies matched with coaching deficiencies and we have what we have. If I had to choose what side is less flawed, it would be the players.....because we have seen multiple times that we have the talent to play with the best in the A10 and other leagues.

Not once have we seen a display that shows that we have a coach who can hang with the best the A10 has at any point.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wonder if anyone would like to change their vote, or vote in the first place...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Wonder if anyone would like to change their vote, or vote in the first place...

The only honorable thing for the 14 "Yes" voters to do is identify themselves so we can stand in line to kick them in the balls prior to Saturday's game.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I still wonder if Hewitt lost the locker room over the Arledge thing. I know he has his deficiencies as a coach, but come on, the team was never this bad last year with virtually the same players. This season has just seemed to have fallen off the cliff really quickly after that USF collapse.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I still wonder if Hewitt lost the locker room over the Arledge thing. I know he has his deficiencies as a coach, but come on, the team was never this bad last year with virtually the same players. This season has just seemed to have fallen off the cliff really quickly after that USF collapse.

Yep - and you'd think a player like Jenkins would cancel Arledge out. I thought we looked good during the CIT, I really did. Is Fordham better than last year's Santa Clara team? I guess so.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It would be nice to harness the collective feelings of people after the Fordham loss to affect change, but, I suspect we will win a decent game like GW this weekend, and then the "hopers" will hit the reset button, and we will again be close to turning a corner...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It would be nice to harness the collective feelings of people after the Fordham loss to affect change, but, I suspect we will win a decent game like GW this weekend, and then the "hopers" will hit the reset button, and we will again be close to turning a corner...

So long as Hewitt continues to play Okoloji in the last five minutes of close games you don't have to worry about this happening.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Even the "hopers" can't have any hope after a loss to lowly Fordham.

It's done. Tonight will be the defining moment in Hewitt's craptacular tenure.

He and TOC can't possibly leave soon enough. Time to clean house.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Even the "hopers" can't have any hope after a loss to lowly Fordham.

It's done. Tonight will be the defining moment in Hewitt's craptacular tenure.

He and TOC can't possibly leave soon enough. Time to clean house.

Sounds like a plan. Let's get rid of TOC ASAP, bring in a guy with some energy and fresh ideas (because let's be honest, the entire athletic department is full of cob webs and missed opportunities) to help us find a coach with the same.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Wonder which of the players Hewitt's gonna blame in the media for tonight's loss?

He didn't blame any players by name, but he cited the 3 missed FT's in the second half (the front-end of one-and-one attempts). The player who missed those shots was Sherrod Wright.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He didn't blame any players by name, but he cited the 3 missed FT's in the second half (the front-end of one-and-one attempts). The player who missed those shots was Sherrod Wright.

It does seem like all of these 2nd half collapses feature Sherrod missing FT's. I remember thinking "We're done. " as he missed them last night. The DIII team I follow went 23-27 from the line the other night. GMU struggles to get to the line, let alone shoot that type of percentage.

KAOriginal

All-American

Point shaving?

In cahoots with resident gambler Jollay?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hewitt has to come back under one big condition. You either get us to the NCAA/NIT in 2015 or that's IT.
That would be like my boss telling me I have to create an engine that runs on fusion or I will be fired next year. Just fire me now, I am not going to be able to do what you have set as a condition of me staying employed.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
So you are saying his first two years of 20 wins are a mirage? Either he gets back to that in 2015 or he doesn't and we find a young and ambitious guy...
That would be like my boss telling me I have to create an engine that runs on fusion or I will be fired next year. Just fire me now, I am not going to be able to do what you have set as a condition of me staying employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.