Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian, I do find it funny that you were a Hewitt advocate 10 days ago, and now you are running around here with a pitchfork trying to out and waterboard the 14 people you used to agree with.

Way to completely misrepresent my posts. Where am I water boarding anyone. Drama queen much? I am trying to understand what these 14 see that the rest of the posters don't see. It might bring some balance to the discussion if there were more than just you on here trying to defend Hewitt, and you were not even one of the 14 votes. Maybe I could fall off the wagon if there were good reason to do so. I would think you would want to hear from them even more so.

And nice waffling with no vote. Aren't you either confident or not? Wouldn't a non yes vote imply no?

It is easy to account for the no vote count, but there are maybe 3 people who seem to express much confidence in Hewitt in the discussions. Where do the other 11 come from. I'd have much more respect for someone if they expressed a viewpoint either way rather than vote they are confident in something that is hard to believe based on the evidence to date and then go silent on why. That does not seem very confident to me. Since the vote seems not to be representative of those that participate in the conversations, I have to wonder if someone just has a bunch of fake accounts in order to vote yes.

And, please, get the count right. I have been sober for 19 days now as indicated by my sig line.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And, please, get the count right. I have been sober for 19 days now as indicated by my sig line.

This was my non-dramatic point. A mere 19 days ago you had confidence in the coach, and now you are his most vocal critic and are calling for people to be held accountable for having faith in him. Although I can't speak for the people who voted "yes," I imagine they did so for the same reasons you were confident 19 days ago.

As for my non-vote, I consider myself in Hewitt purgatory. Part of me has no confidence he will turn it around, and part of me likes the recruits he is bringing in and thinks there's a remote chance he might. I can't in full confidence say he will fail with these players — nor can anybody else, really — so I cling to that belief if he is retained that he will succeed.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I voted "No" again, but I don't believe that anyone needs to justify his or her vote. Frankly, I can understand that more people are apparently hopeful based on the recent play of the team.

Personally, I'm waiting until the team demonstrates that it can play well for 40 minutes and effectively close out games against good teams. As Coach Hewitt correctly stated after the UMass game, there is nothing encouraging about losing (when you have the talent to win).

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A mere 19 days ago you had confidence in the coach, and now you are his most vocal critic and are calling for people to be held accountable for having faith in him.
I have not had confidence in him for a while, I just started admitting it to myself when we hit the midway point of this season, when it was clear that a senior laden team that has most of the same key players as last year isn't really performing any better. I told myself I'd give him through OOC before I gave up all hope.

As others point out on here, you have changed what I said. I did not ask for anyone to be accountable for their vote. I am asking for a debate. I think it would be interesting for those that do have confidence to point out why. Unlike some others, I could still be convinced if there was something out there that I don't see. You are the one implying that they are afraid to express their opinions. Except for about 4 of us on here (me and you included), everyone else is pretty much anonymous, at least to the outside world. So, it does not make sense that someone would be afraid to express their views. My point was that it is suspicious that there are that many votes of confidence on a place where debate is one of the primary purposes without anyone even making an attempt to debate that side.

...I don't believe that anyone needs to justify his or her vote. Frankly, I can understand that more people are apparently hopeful based on the recent play of the team.
Pablo, don't let Tom's wording confuse you. As I indicated above, that is not what I was asked. As for hopeful, that was not what the poll question asked. It asked for confidence. Confidence is a significantly higher level than optimism. Again, that is why I think it would be interesting for even 1 or 2 of the "confident" to join the debate. Not a lot else to debate on here other than if we are going to win the loser's bowl tomorrow.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Brian,

I understand the poll question, which I don't really believe is worthy of any further discussion at this time. I voted "No" as did the majority who voted. Those who voted "Yes" evidently are more confident in Hewitt and believe that he will turn things around as he gets more of his players in the program.

We will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I haven't given up on this season yet. Hopefully, the Patriots will win at Fordham and start a winning streak.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Wichita State and Creighton. Taken over the entirety of the last 15 years that is about right.

Sorry to ask the question then be MIA for a day. I guess this is where I disagree with you. To me, yes, our goal should be to be the equivalent of these clubs, but I personally don't think we have been. Pablo can correct me if I'm wrong, but in these 15 years, we have not once beaten a team with a number next to their name during the regular season (Beasley's KSU team a possible exception as they might have been 24). We also have spent exactly 2 weeks in the top 25 (at 25) and both times lost our next game (Hofstra in 06 and vcu in 11 I believe). Creighton and WSU have both spent significant time ranked and have toppled bigger name opponents on a regular basis.

To the person who asked about our other appearances, I haven't forgotten them, but honestly those were auto-bid appearances from a 1-bid conference where we were simply the tallest pygmy. We've darn near given up the ability to sneak flawed clubs into the dance when we left the CAA, as the A-10 is too deep to allow that to happen in their tournament. In my opinion the 2001 team is the only one that might have made noise in a better conference like the A-10.

So for me, if even our post-2006 life had been spent occasionally being ranked, occasionally beating ranked opponents and even maybe putting a player or two in the NBA, then this season would hurt a lot more. As it is, I'm just beyond anxious to see our senior and junior classes move on and see if our youngsters have what it takes to win at this new level.

Dawgs99

Starter
Sorry to ask the question then be MIA for a day. I guess this is where I disagree with you. To me, yes, our goal should be to be the equivalent of these clubs, but I personally don't think we have been. Pablo can correct me if I'm wrong, but in these 15 years, we have not once beaten a team with a number next to their name during the regular season (Beasley's KSU team a possible exception as they might have been 24). We also have spent exactly 2 weeks in the top 25 (at 25) and both times lost our next game (Hofstra in 06 and vcu in 11 I believe). Creighton and WSU have both spent significant time ranked and have toppled bigger name opponents on a regular basis.

To the person who asked about our other appearances, I haven't forgotten them, but honestly those were auto-bid appearances from a 1-bid conference where we were simply the tallest pygmy. We've darn near given up the ability to sneak flawed clubs into the dance when we left the CAA, as the A-10 is too deep to allow that to happen in their tournament. In my opinion the 2001 team is the only one that might have made noise in a better conference like the A-10.

So for me, if even our post-2006 life had been spent occasionally being ranked, occasionally beating ranked opponents and even maybe putting a player or two in the NBA, then this season would hurt a lot more. As it is, I'm just beyond anxious to see our senior and junior classes move on and see if our youngsters have what it takes to win at this new level.

This is pretty much sums up where I am with the program. I feel like we've never been on par with the schools mentioned for the exact reasons that 99 mentioned. We were a solid mid major program under coach L, those mentioned IMO have been overall on a higher level than Mason. I also agree that the days of squeaking by with a bid when we have maybe only and average team are gone now that we've joined the A10. With that said, I believe that our "ceiling" is much higher now that we've joined a more recognizable league. This is not an indictment of Coach L nor a vote of confidence for Coach Hewitt, just think that some folks had our program valued higher than reality would tell you.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As the self proclaimed King of all Hewitt Hate, I say ...Bring Hewitt to the guillotine to be tried for crimes against a once stable basketball program.

F

Flexxar

Spectator
As the self proclaimed King of all Hewitt Hate, I say ...Bring Hewitt to the guillotine to be tried for crimes against a once stable basketball program.
That's not really a fair statement. The program lost it's stability when Larranaga left. It didn't help that Hancock left either. If he had stayed, we wouldn't have had any of our point guard woes. We would have a pretty damn good team no matter who took over as coach if Hancock had stayed. But because he left, he left us a giant unfillable hole at that position. It also would have been much easier to please fans if we were still in the CAA winning instead of the A10 losing.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That's not really a fair statement. The program lost it's stability when Larranaga left. It didn't help that Hancock left either. If he had stayed, we wouldn't have had any of our point guard woes. We would have a pretty damn good team no matter who took over as coach if Hancock had stayed. But because he left, he left us a giant unfillable hole at that position. It also would have been much easier to please fans if we were still in the CAA winning instead of the A10 losing.
NEWS FLASH: We weren't winning in the CAA anymore. See last season.

By moving it gave Hewitt and TOC an excuse for sucking. We likely would have sucked in the CAA this year. We would have finished mid pack again.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The program became unstable after the OCM left. Yes this true. But to obtain property(paycheck) under false pretenses (as a bball coach)is still a crime.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
WSU hadn't been back to the NCAAs since their Sweet 16 in 2006. They did win the NIT two years ago, but they have not been ranked consistently or beating ranked opponents consistently for the last 15 years.

Creighton has seen a little more success, but again most of their appearances were from winning a one or two bid MVC and haven't been deeper than then Sweet 16.

Both of these teams are light years ahead of us over the last two years, but over the entirety of the last 15 years they have been our peers.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure what some expect regarding these wsu and creighton comparisons. But i just want to see good strong fundamental bball by our players. And a smart teacher at the helm that knows how to get thru to the players to where they want to learn and execute and play with a major chip on their shoulder when taking the court. Especially home court.

CenterCourt

Four-star Recruit
I didn't vote, because I access the boards via my phone and can't figure out how to vote through tapatalk... anyway. ... had I voted, I would have voted yes. I don't think we are playing as bad as most of you think we have been. So far we have played some of the better A-10 teams. We should realistically be 3-1. With vcu the only sound loss.

I don't blame the RI and Umass losses entirely on Hewitt. ... the players need to be accountable for executing. And if they execute well for most of the game. .. is it the coaches fault when they don't execute under pressure? This team is soft and has glaring issues. .. how many of the losses were the result of Allen or wright virtually giving the other team the ball?

And to those that think that hewitt isn't working on the right things in practice and that is why we are not executing... I don't buy it... if they worked more on the things u guys are talking about, then there would be something else they didn't execute well. I think many of the players on this team are soft. Physically and mentally. ..

Are there things that piss me off? Absolutely. .. chief among them, the inability to inbound the ball. Simply not acceptable. Do I like his offense? Not really. But ill tell you, I thought larannaga's offense was hard to watch too...

Do I think hewitt is a great coach. No. Do I think he is a good coach? Yes.

For that reason I am giving him a vote of confidence

Patriotfan49

Starter
I didn't vote, because I access the boards via my phone and can't figure out how to vote through tapatalk... anyway. ... had I voted, I would have voted yes. I don't think we are playing as bad as most of you think we have been. So far we have played some of the better A-10 teams. We should realistically be 3-1. With vcu the only sound loss.

I don't blame the RI and Umass losses entirely on Hewitt. ... the players need to be accountable for executing. And if they execute well for most of the game. .. is it the coaches fault when they don't execute under pressure? This team is soft and has glaring issues. .. how many of the losses were the result of Allen or wright virtually giving the other team the ball?

And to those that think that hewitt isn't working on the right things in practice and that is why we are not executing... I don't buy it... if they worked more on the things u guys are talking about, then there would be something else they didn't execute well. I think many of the players on this team are soft. Physically and mentally. ..

Are there things that piss me off? Absolutely. .. chief among them, the inability to inbound the ball. Simply not acceptable. Do I like his offense? Not really. But ill tell you, I thought larannaga's offense was hard to watch too...

Do I think hewitt is a great coach. No. Do I think he is a good coach? Yes.

#1. Woulda Coulda Shoulda....we are our record.
#2. Players and coaches are responsible for execution.....if your team fails to execute your plan every single game....what are you doing to fix that? Also, the team is soft......as is our coach. Perhaps they have adopted his attitude.
#3. If the same issues arise every game.......youd think they would adjust in practice. But seeing how we still struggle with inbounds, offense, mental lapses, rebounding, interior scoring....Im not sure what they do in practice. For all we know, they play a nice game of go fish and patty cake given the lack of physical nature on our team.

Last edited:

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've voted yes both times. Just not ready to give up on him especially with the possible strength of the incoming players. He has his faults and I expect an upgrade in his coaching staff to offset his weaknesses

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I

And to those that think that hewitt isn't working on the right things in practice and that is why we are not executing... I don't buy it...

To this point, the commentator on the URI game said he attended practice and that Hewitt spent a lot of time on defending ball screens. He mentioned during the telecast on at least a few occasions when we defended poorly that was a failure to execute what they had been practicing.

I didn't vote this time around --although I'm troubled by the team's performance, I find the anti-Hewitt rants aversive. Enough so that when I see this sort of poll, I know how it's going to turn out and choose not to participate.

I think the movement to ditch Hewitt, especially at this juncture in his contract, will not necessarily lead to bringing our program to a higher level.

Dumping Ernie Nestor (supposedly a rising star assistant from a very good ACC program) which was an appropriate move begat Westhead (who had been successful both with Loyola Marymount and with the Lakers) and we wound up even worse than we had been before. Getting the Brad Stevens and Shaka Smarts of the basketball world isn't as easy as you seem to think.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
CenterCourt and GL, I appreciate hearing from those on the confident side. I, obviously disagree, but it was nice for you to point out what you see to give you confidence.

The only point that I and others may not have discussed previously was GL's comment about expecting an upgrade in his coaching staff. Do you know something? I would actually be surprised at that happening unforced this year. I can't imagine Houston is going anywhere with Copes still around, and we just brought in Skeeters, so that would seem an odd one to replace. Kreider, maybe, but he seems pretty tight with Hewitt. Just wondering what leads you to believe that.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
CenterCourt and GL, I appreciate hearing from those on the confident side. I, obviously disagree, but it was nice for you to point out what you see to give you confidence.

The only point that I and others may not have discussed previously was GL's comment about expecting an upgrade in his coaching staff. Do you know something? I would actually be surprised at that happening unforced this year. I can't imagine Houston is going anywhere with Copes still around, and we just brought in Skeeters, so that would seem an odd one to replace. Kreider, maybe, but he seems pretty tight with Hewitt. Just wondering what leads you to believe that.

Some teams have 9 coaches on the bench it seems. Maybe we can add one, a good x's and o's guy, and make it 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.