Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So you are saying his first two years of 20 wins are a mirage? Either he gets back to that in 2015 or he doesn't and we find a young and ambitious guy...

Seriously, have you been paying attention?

Neither of those "20-win seasons" accomplished anything close to an NCAA tournament bid. The second one doesn't even count -- we wouldn't have reached 20 unless we paid to play in the CBI.

And if you think Hewitt is taking us to the NCAAs next season, I've got some prime Louisiana swampland to sell you.

Like Walter said, if that's the standard, you might as well fire the guy today.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seriously, have you been paying attention?

Neither of those "20-win seasons" accomplished anything close to an NCAA tournament bid. The second one doesn't even count -- we wouldn't have reached 20 unless we paid to play in the CBI.

And if you think Hewitt is taking us to the NCAAs next season, I've got some prime Louisiana swampland to sell you.

Like Walter said, if that's the standard, you might as well fire the guy today.

Exactly. There is no way Hewitt is going to turn this around next year or the year after. Why keep him around?

If we bring in a guy who knows how to coach we conceivably could be back in the NCAA when Holloway, Royal and Marko are seniors and Moore and Jenkins are juniors. Wouldn't you like to see what those 5 could do on the floor together with a coach who knows how to coach?

Maybe we lose some or all of these players, but I don't think we will. These are the 5 we need to be thinking about when we want to keep Hewitt around.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm interested to hear your take on how next year will be better with the amount of turnover coming in.

Our only hope is that it's an addition-by-subtraction scenario as opposed to hoping the new players make a huge difference. Sherrod and Allen have been great at times for our program, but I think our other players have had to defer far too much with the two of them on the floor. It's tough when the two players who keep you in the games are the same two who usually play you out of them in the end.

While the new players will have to contribute, I think the only chance we have of getting better is if we get significantly-increased production from our current players like Holloway, Moore, Marko, Jenkins and Copes. Several of those guys have taken a back seat to Sherrod and Allen in terms of minutes and touches, so it's time to see if they can shine as go-to players rather than role players. The toughest part, obviously, will be making up the lost points from those two.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Our only hope is that it's an addition-by-subtraction scenario as opposed to hoping the new players make a huge difference. Sherrod and Allen have been great at times for our program, but I think our other players have had to defer far too much with the two of them on the floor. It's tough when the two players who keep you in the games are the same two who usually play you out of them in the end.

While the new players will have to contribute, I think the only chance we have of getting better is if we get significantly-increased production from our current players like Holloway, Moore, Marko, Jenkins and Copes. Several of those guys have taken a back seat to Sherrod and Allen in terms of minutes and touches, so it's time to see if they can shine as go-to players rather than role players. The toughest part, obviously, will be making up the lost points from those two.

The only problem is, Hewitt's players don't get better over time, they actually get worse.

It's the HVSF, Hewitt Vortex of Suck Factor. I believe Stephen Hawking was the first to identify it.

CenterCourt

Four-star Recruit
The only problem is, Hewitt's players don't get better over time, they actually get worse.

I still don't get this notion that his players get worse. Granted I didn't follow Hewitt at GT. Who on the current roster has gotten worse? Maybe I have my rose colored glasses on.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If you are not improving as you gain experience then you are getting worse because your competition is improving.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's more so the scheme. Team ball vs Isolation. Dickface likes to run an nba style system. Problem is you need nba caliber players or bcs players that are way better than the competition. Having 2&3 star recruits isn't gonna get you past the top of this leagues' guards in a 4 out scheme. You have to have 5 star guys to blow by the competition. Guess what, we aren't getting any 5 star guys. It's an epic fail from day one of his arrival. He's a good guy, but his system and his roster are on two different planets. And his system is on the furthest planet.

CenterCourt

Four-star Recruit
the only guys that hasnt improved the last couple years is sherrod. I dont count corey, b/c he is just doesnt have the talent, and he has been replaced, he is fading into oblivion. Bryon Allen has improved year over year. His shooting is vastly improved. Dopes has an excuse, in that he had a major nagging injury that affected his physical abilities. I know excuses, excuses. I am tired of them myself. I think the whole situation has been a perfect storm, and Hewitt is not blameless. I am almost at the point of joining the bandwagon. The Fordham loss is pretty demoralizing.

I would love to get a new fiery coach in here when Hewitt is inevitably replaced. They need to find a way to keep some of the recruits though, if they fire him at years end. Otherwise, the rebuilding process will be lengthy.

We are going to really see how good Holloway is next year. I had high hopes, but frankly he has been a bit of a disappointment this year with his inconsistency, although not as big a disappointment as MG.... not sure what happened to his game.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
the only guys that hasnt improved the last couple years is sherrod. I dont count corey, b/c he is just doesnt have the talent, and he has been replaced, he is fading into oblivion. Bryon Allen has improved year over year. His shooting is vastly improved. Dopes has an excuse, in that he had a major nagging injury that affected his physical abilities. I know excuses, excuses. I am tired of them myself. I think the whole situation has been a perfect storm, and Hewitt is not blameless. I am almost at the point of joining the bandwagon. The Fordham loss is pretty demoralizing.

I would love to get a new fiery coach in here when Hewitt is inevitably replaced. They need to find a way to keep some of the recruits though, if they fire him at years end. Otherwise, the rebuilding process will be lengthy.

We are going to really see how good Holloway is next year. I had high hopes, but frankly he has been a bit of a disappointment this year with his inconsistency, although not as big a disappointment as MG.... not sure what happened to his game.

So Wright isn't the only one who is getting worse? MG too. See you are hewitt drunk and can't think straight. Get hewitt sober and see the light.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I still don't get this notion that his players get worse. Granted I didn't follow Hewitt at GT. Who on the current roster has gotten worse? Maybe I have my rose colored glasses on.

The players arent so much regressing or getting worse. They are who they are, and while they arent exactly all studs they are capable of playing well and weve seen that.

The problem is the system really bogs down their talent, and it emphasizes their weaknesses as opposed to playing to their strengths.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The problem is the system really bogs down their talent, and it emphasizes their weaknesses as opposed to playing to their strengths.

I agree with this point. Our offense relies on a lot of one-on-one play from players who aren't capable of dribbling more than three feet without turning it over. I'm not really sure what kind offense would work with this roster, but there has to be something better than what we are running — check that, "attempting" to run.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Some teams have 9 coaches on the bench it seems. Maybe we can add one, a good x's and o's guy, and make it 5?
Hewitt seems to lack something and usually an assistant is brought in to fill the gaps. Right now, it seems to me that the assistants are either there to hand hold a mediocre talent (Houston) or are "tight" with the coach. Nothing worse than a staff of yes men

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
So you are saying his first two years of 20 wins are a mirage? Either he gets back to that in 2015 or he doesn't and we find a young and ambitious guy...

It's odd that the "real problem" is L's recruits and once Hewitt gets "his players" everything will work out......yet the further we get from L's team, the more Hewitt players added, and the longer Hewitt coaches the less the wins show up.

6 losses in a row? 12 of the last 15? 0 conference wins?

Yeah, that's the fault of the guy that left 3 years ago. And I'm a rich Nigerian Prince, send me your bank account and I'll wire you ten million.

Scythe

Starter
I honestly think he is giving it his all, which I guess, might be the saddest statement in a way.
I think the first couple of years he coasted off of the groundwork OCM had laid down, then as soon as he had to start "coaching for reals" it was a bit too late. You're left with a couple years of players that weren't helped as much as they could've been with their game development, which is very obvious when you compare the newer players to those that have been around. At least that's my theory.

I might be completely wrong and he's been trying his hardest, in which case then...yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.