Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/18)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Everyone is jumping on the Lonergan bandwagon, but his first two years were not viewed as "building" by many at GW. He lost one assistant in the offseason to Georgetown and another left right as school was starting for a reason.

His first year they went 10-21 and lost ten of their last twelve games.
Last year, they were 13-17 and lost seven of their last nine games. So its not like they were playing better as the season came to and end had "experts" believing they were getting better.

GW is having a great year and Lonergran has to be given credit, but at the end of last season there were many at GW that were wondering where the program was going after two seasons sub-.500 seasons with both finishing on bad losing streaks and no real concrete evidence they were on the upswing.

But I understand the point that we need to look for a new coach.

Thank you for sharing this. I actually researched and found these facts as well. In addition, he also has a full team of his own which includes Isiah Armwood and Mo Creek transferring in. Not saying Hewitt will be great when he gets a whole team, but Lonergan certainly has proven that it can be a glimmer of hope.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In addition, he also has a full team of his own which includes Isiah Armwood and Mo Creek transferring in.

It is amazing how much a transfer can change a program, let alone two. I think Pat Skerry is a very good coach, but not every guy gets to build a program around a guy like Georgetown transfer Jerrelle Benimon.

In addition to being the CAA Player of the Year last season, Benimon is averaging a double-double the last two years at Towson. This year he's averaging almost 19 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists and 1.5 blocks a game. Think JTIII is kicking himself at Georgetown for missing the boat on that kid?

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's the point I was trying to make. I've been pretty consistent in saying that Hewitt gets this year to show us what he's got. I wasn't really for or against him coming into the year. I was hoping he could get these guys into shape and put us in position for an at-large. It's not always fair to pass judgment on a guy after two years, but I'm of the mind that three years is enough of a sample size to make a decision.

Me too. With the roster he had coming back (even minus Arledge) he needed to show something, even an NIT worthy season but this is just pathetic in an epic level.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
TOC was ready to leave 900k on the table and move us to the A10 in Mertens last year. If so, then we have enough money to fire this hack and start over. Problem is another hack is retiring so logistics might factor in and squeeze another year for Blewitt. Gosh, it feels like we're stuck behind the senior citizen driving the crown victoria on a one lane non passing road. El Presidente needs to get things moving!

Any chance his contract was a 5 year with last year optional for both sides?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
TOC was ready to leave 900k on the table and move us to the A10 in Mertens last year. If so, then we have enough money to fire this hack and start over. Problem is another hack is retiring so logistics might factor in and squeeze another year for Blewitt. Gosh, it feels like we're stuck behind the senior citizen driving the crown victoria on a one lane non passing road. El Presidente needs to get things moving!

Any chance his contract was a 5 year with last year optional for both sides?

A buyout of the remaining base salary is required - see http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...paring-deals-mason-gave-hewitt-and-larranaga/.

Status
Not open for further replies.