Shevon Thompson 6'11 Center Signs with GMU!

Dawgs99

Starter
No kidding, even good news around here gets shot down with negativity. Yes, I consider a kid committing to Mason as good news, no matter how well that player is regarded. What I like most about this signing is that it should allow Jalen and Royal to play pretty much exclusively at the 3/4 spots where IMO they will be most effective. Also looks like red shirting Porter is more of a reasonable move with 2 guys you can play at the 5. If Thompson can play decent defense and grab his fair share of boards than I'll be satisfied. I know just about everyone on these boards would welcome somebody pushing Copes for playing time. Welcome Shevon!

Dawgs99

Starter
I've seen people talk about Lockett playing the 2 next year, I don't see it. Lockett played almost exclusively in the paint in HS and I'm not sure he made 3 all season. Kinda hard to ask a kid who doesn't take many jumpers to play the 2. I think its more likely that Mayimba plays the 2 at the next level.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Ok so now you're discussing whether or not the freshman can play in D1. Because that's the point you're trying to make.

Damn bro lol....again, that is not what Im discussing. My points been the same since I first said it. Even with you trying to tell me what Im saying or thinking. Youre the one who is having issues here comprehending....

Like Expat said, simple point is Lockett, Mayimba and Jackson are complete unknowns seeing as they have yet to suit up for us and play. We arent sure how they will translate (or where) or do at the college level so to assume anything will be locked down by an incoming freshman is hopeful at best. Thus why I said, with a front court of guys that we have at least seen play for a season, we have a pretty good idea what they are and where they fit....seems the questions mostly reside in the backcourt. If you need it spoonfed anymore than that, I cant help you....go back to school.

Last edited:

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
That is irrelevant, they will all play because there is no one else! Fine bench them all because they can't play the two. It's a back court of Holloway, Moore, and Edwards then. That must be their plan.

I didn't say to bench anyone. All I'm saying is none of us know how a certain player is going to do at any given position until we physically see it happen. Obviously they are going to play. Where? and how well? that, we do not know yet.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I didn't say to bench anyone. All I'm saying is none of us know how a certain player is going to do at any given position until we physically see it happen. Obviously they are going to play. Where? and how well? that, we do not know yet.

Well, to P49's point, then, I see no difference in bringing in a SG, a PG or a Center at this point, the questions will remain regardless of who signs (and this would include a fifth year transfer).

I think what gets lost on everyone is it's pretty obvious Hewitt doesn't want to run a 3 guard lineup unless he absolutely has to.

So, we have a starting PG in Moore and a capable backup in Edwards.

We have a starting SG in Holloway and a seemingly capable backup in Gray.

Moore and Holloway will most likely average at least 25 minutes a game next season (probably more). So conservatively that's 15 minutes at each position that need to be covered.

Then there's the possibility of Edwards and Moore playing together, of Jackson taking some minutes at the 1 or 2 or even 3 spots, Gray can fill in at the 2 and 3 spots. And from all accounts Mayimba has the quickness to guard the 2, so he can get a run at the 2 and 3 as well.

There are many ways you can make it work.

Is it ideal? Given Moore's offensive limitations, Edwards' ball-handling limitations and Holloway's defensive limitations no. But I don't think signing a juco SG or PG over a center would have changed the calculus much.

So all of that to say, welcome to Mason Shevon Thompson. I hope you make everyone shut up.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Well, to P49's point, then, I see no difference in bringing in a SG, a PG or a Center at this point, the questions will remain regardless of who signs (and this would include a fifth year transfer).

I think what gets lost on everyone is it's pretty obvious Hewitt doesn't want to run a 3 guard lineup unless he absolutely has to.

So, we have a starting PG in Moore and a capable backup in Edwards.

We have a starting SG in Holloway and a seemingly capable backup in Gray.

Moore and Holloway will most likely average at least 25 minutes a game next season (probably more). So conservatively that's 15 minutes at each position that need to be covered.

Then there's the possibility of Edwards and Moore playing together, of Jackson taking some minutes at the 1 or 2 or even 3 spots, Gray can fill in at the 2 and 3 spots. And from all accounts Mayimba has the quickness to guard the 2, so he can get a run at the 2 and 3 as well.

There are many ways you can make it work.

Is it ideal? Given Moore's offensive limitations, Edwards' ball-handling limitations and Holloway's defensive limitations no. But I don't think signing a juco SG or PG over a center would have changed the calculus much.

So all of that to say, welcome to Mason Shevon Thompson. I hope you make everyone shut up.

The difference would be what's your biggest area of need? Then you try and address that. To me that was and still is SG and a consistent scorer.

masonjoe

Starter

You're acting like Hewitt's lineups MUST have a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C in at all times. Didn't he often run linupes of a PG and four bigs at GT?

Patriotfan49

Starter
You're acting like Hewitt's lineups MUST have a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C in at all times. Didn't he often run linupes of a PG and four bigs at GT?

Maybe you should stop trying to tell people what they are saying, or "acting" like. Because in each instance you have been very wrong. Nowhere in that statement, was it said or even implied about having to have certain positions on the floor.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The difference would be what's your biggest area of need? Then you try and address that. To me that was and still is SG and a consistent scorer.

You are thinking that way because we have started 3 guards historically. We aren't going to be doing that next season most likely.

I would argue that shooting guard is more set than center. Holloway will start, play about 25 mins pet game and average double figures. Center is a big question mark.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe our best chance of winning with Hewitt as our coach is to try to run and press as much as possible (the less coaching he has to do the better). We all realize next year won't be great in terms of wins and losses, so why not ride the younger, athletic guys like Moore, Jenkins, Lockett, Mayimba, Jackson and Porter (if he suits up)?

I'd still start Holloway as a junior and give him major minutes, and you have to figure Thompson was brought in to contribute right away; but next year should be all about giving the younger players minutes and experience. Upperclassmen like Copes, Gray, Corey and Marko can give us valuable minutes off the bench as needed.

Patriotfan49

Starter
You are thinking that way because we have started 3 guards historically. We aren't going to be doing that next season most likely.

I would argue that shooting guard is more set than center. Holloway will start, play about 25 mins pet game and average double figures. Center is a big question mark.

You too now? Thats not what Im thinking, or why....at all

Im seeing down low, we have Jenkins who has shown hes a consistent scorer for the most part. Royal perhaps could be that guy too, seems more offensive minded but well see. Copes puts in a couple a game, as well as Marko when hes out there. We more or less know what we have from that bulk of guys. We have a mix of quantity and quality there, but outside Jenkins not many can be counted on for around double digits.

In the guard area, Moore cant shoot and teams know that and play him accordingly. Holloway could average double figures, but Im not 100% sold on that the same you are until he develops past chucking up as many threes as he can. Gray (who has similar game to Sherrod/Allen) we have seen waste away on the bench...Edwards is a backup PG. Granted yes, Mayimba, or Lockett or any freshman can come in and light it up, but thats going to be alot to expect from a freshman.

Im just not seeing a viable replacement for what I assume was over 50% of our scoring last year with Allen and Wright departed anywhere on the court. Doesnt matter if we run Moore with 4 bigs, or 4 other guards.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
My main concern is not offense, but whether or not we can stop anyone from putting up 50-plus points against us after halftime.

Thompson should help in that regard. 7 feet is 7 feet. If he is coached to stay near the basket instead of trying to defend ball screens 20 feet from the basket, we'll at least be able to challenge shots at the rim instead of giving up one uncontested layup after another.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Maybe our best chance of winning with Hewitt as our coach is to try to run and press as much as possible (the less coaching he has to do the better). We all realize next year won't be great in terms of wins and losses, so why not ride the younger, athletic guys like Moore, Jenkins, Lockett, Mayimba, Jackson and Porter (if he suits up)?

I'd still start Holloway as a junior and give him major minutes, and you have to figure Thompson was brought in to contribute right away; but next year should be all about giving the younger players minutes and experience. Upperclassmen like Copes, Gray, Corey and Marko can give us valuable minutes off the bench as needed.

lol......please no! I cant take more of our "press".

Patriotfan49

Starter
My main concern is not offense, but whether or not we can stop anyone from putting up 50-plus points against us after halftime.

Thompson should help in that regard. 7 feet is 7 feet. If he is coached to stay near the basket instead of trying to defend ball screens 20 feet from the basket, we'll at least be able to challenge shots at the rim instead of giving up one uncontested layup after another.

This is very true. But being able to score also assists with defense. Alot of those uncontesteds were from guys being out of position. If Thompson follows suit of most of our bigs, he cant block alot of shots when he has his back turned or is out by the foul line D'ing up the PG because nobody switched.

One thing I hope that Thompson is good at, is staying on the court and out of foul trouble.

JBiggs

Starter
I like the pickup. 7-foot guys of any skill set are rare. Plus, he's Jamaiiiiiicaaaaan mon!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

To be fair, Hewitt may try to bring it back because he may "finally have the horses to press". Having lengthy athletic wings could lead to a decent press.

Although, being Hewitt and all, it'll still probably be swiss cheese.:bricks:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah, it certainly hasn't worked in the past, but I can't help but think it could be better with athletic guys like Lockett and Mayimba rather than plodders like Okoloji and Marko.

KAOriginal

All-American

All true..and here's why.

Hewitt is in a make or break year and will have a new AD to "sell" to.

He's going to put whoever and whatever line up on the floor that even if not winning, makes the case the future is bright. And the future is "bright" because of the upgraded players he was finally able to get in as compared to the patchwork of OCM and a stragglers he could land because of scholly limitations, red shirts holding over, etc etc etc...

There's your next season in a nutshell....