Shevon Thompson 6'11 Center Signs with GMU!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
All true..and here's why.

Hewitt is in a make or break year and will have a new AD to "sell" to.

He's going to put whoever and whatever line up on the floor that even if not winning, makes the case the future is bright. And the future is "bright" because of the upgraded players he was finally able to get in as compared to the patchwork of OCM and a stragglers he could land because of scholly limitations, red shirts holding over, etc etc etc...

There's your next season in a nutshell....

If our new AD is like most ADs, the only thing that's going to save Hewitt's job is wins ... lots of wins.

Another losing season -- regardless of how promising the young players look -- will make it an easy choice for the new AD to bring in his own guy.

For that reason, I expect Hewitt to ride the 8-9 veterans who give him the best chance of winning now: Holloway, Jenkins, Royal, Moore, Copes, Thompson, Marko, Gray, Edwards.

Mayimba should get meaningful minutes because he's a freak athlete and can guard his a** off at 6-6.

Otherwise, can't see Hewitt caring too much about developing a bunch of freshmen who just might wind up playing for a different coach in 2015-16. He no longer has the luxury of sitting back and living with their mistakes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You too now? Thats not what Im thinking, or why....at all

Im seeing down low, we have Jenkins who has shown hes a consistent scorer for the most part. Royal perhaps could be that guy too, seems more offensive minded but well see. Copes puts in a couple a game, as well as Marko when hes out there. We more or less know what we have from that bulk of guys. We have a mix of quantity and quality there, but outside Jenkins not many can be counted on for around double digits.

In the guard area, Moore cant shoot and teams know that and play him accordingly. Holloway could average double figures, but Im not 100% sold on that the same you are until he develops past chucking up as many threes as he can. Gray (who has similar game to Sherrod/Allen) we have seen waste away on the bench...Edwards is a backup PG. Granted yes, Mayimba, or Lockett or any freshman can come in and light it up, but thats going to be alot to expect from a freshman.

Im just not seeing a viable replacement for what I assume was over 50% of our scoring last year with Allen and Wright departed anywhere on the court. Doesnt matter if we run Moore with 4 bigs, or 4 other guards.

Holloway shot 41% from 3. If that's "chucking up 3s" I hope he does a lot more of that next year.

He averaged 8.7 off the bench last year. I have no doubt he will average double figures his junior season. Don't sleep on him.

As for Moore, he knows more than we do what he has to work on this offseason. I'm not expecting him to become a world class shooter overnight, but my guess is he figures out how to and when to be aggressive and gets to the line more often. He's strong and quick and got past defenders last year even if they sagged off him eight feet.

We know Gray and Edwards can shoot. They have proven it. They are backups, yes, but with Holloway and Moore starting that's all they have to be. Gray can give us minutes at the 2 and 3 and Edwards can give us minutes at the 1 and 2 (so long as we aren't giving up too much size). And I haven't even mentioned Jackson who Hewitt seems fairly high on.

If I had to guess at our starting 5 in game 1 it will probably be Moore, Holloway, Jenkins, Royal, Copes. I'm not sure who plays the 3 between Jenkins and Royal.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If I had to guess at our starting 5 in game 1 it will probably be Moore, Holloway, Jenkins, Royal, Copes. I'm not sure who plays the 3 between Jenkins and Royal.

Damn, I completely forgot to mention Royal in my other post. It will be interesting to see what kind of player Copes is next season, because he has the size, athletic ability and potential to be a dominant post player on both ends.

Unfortunately, after three seasons of mediocrity, I just don't see the passion or desire to get better. Maybe he's better coming off the bench. It might make him hungrier knowing he has to earn his minutes.

KAOriginal

All-American
If our new AD is like most ADs, the only thing that's going to save Hewitt's job is wins ... lots of wins.

Another losing season -- regardless of how promising the young players look -- will make it an easy choice for the new AD to bring in his own guy.

For that reason, I expect Hewitt to ride the 8-9 veterans who give him the best chance of winning now: Holloway, Jenkins, Royal, Moore, Copes, Thompson, Marko, Gray, Edwards.

Mayimba should get meaningful minutes because he's a freak athlete and can guard his a** off at 6-6.

Otherwise, can't see Hewitt caring too much about developing a bunch of freshmen who just might wind up playing for a different coach in 2015-16. He no longer has the luxury of sitting back and living with their mistakes.

I hear you and agree......but let's who the AD is first. That will tell us alot.

We get a Kelly Mehrtens like UNCW did to "make a social statement" and you can worry about more than the basketball coach.....see the article for detials, which could easily be us.....

http://www.wwaytv3.com/uncw_chancellor_make_major_athletics_announcement/09/2010

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Well thanks hewitt. You have managed to mind f**k the posters on this board with more questionable roster moves.No telling what the players go thru.:cool:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

You would think that is the case. However, I could see Hewitt playing the look-how -good-my-young-guys-are card. "The wins will come," he will say. Therefore, he will have to play the freshmen in order to point to how good they are. Usually a losing coach has to point to 4 and 5 star recruits to get the benefit of the doubt so I doubt this works but I am sure Hewitt will try it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You would think that is the case. However, I could see Hewitt playing the look-how -good-my-young-guys-are card. "The wins will come," he will say. Therefore, he will have to play the freshmen in order to point to how good they are. Usually a losing coach has to point to 4 and 5 star recruits to get the benefit of the doubt so I doubt this works but I am sure Hewitt will try it.

You can't rely on freshman to save your job.

I think the same thing will happen this year as the last two, Hewitt won't figure out his rotation until about 20 games in and by that time the season will effectively be over, but the team will look a lot better and provide false hope for next season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I hear you and agree......but let's who the AD is first. That will tell us alot.

We get a Kelly Mehrtens like UNCW did to "make a social statement" and you can worry about more than the basketball coach.....see the article for detials, which could easily be us.....

http://www.wwaytv3.com/uncw_chancellor_make_major_athletics_announcement/09/2010

If we get a Kelly Mehrtens-style hiring, we are well and truly doomed. She finished the job of destroying UNCW's basketball program that was started by Mike Capaccio.

I'm not saying that any female hired as AD would be a disaster, but I'm hoping that Cabrera is smart enough to go for something more than a social statement.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
However, I could see Hewitt playing the look-how -good-my-young-guys-are card. "The wins will come," he will say. Therefore, he will have to play the freshmen in order to point to how good they are.

Hopefully, we will hire an AD knowledgeable enough to judge whether the coaching and talent are there rather than making the decision based on what the head coach says. I'm not suggesting that Hewitt won't or shouldn't plead his case (he'd be stupid not to), but this decision should ultimately be made by the new AD's feel for the current state of the program and the the direction moving forward.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Holloway shot 41% from 3. If that's "chucking up 3s" I hope he does a lot more of that next year.

He averaged 8.7 off the bench last year. I have no doubt he will average double figures his junior season. Don't sleep on him.

As for Moore, he knows more than we do what he has to work on this offseason. I'm not expecting him to become a world class shooter overnight, but my guess is he figures out how to and when to be aggressive and gets to the line more often. He's strong and quick and got past defenders last year even if they sagged off him eight feet.

We know Gray and Edwards can shoot. They have proven it. They are backups, yes, but with Holloway and Moore starting that's all they have to be. Gray can give us minutes at the 2 and 3 and Edwards can give us minutes at the 1 and 2 (so long as we aren't giving up too much size). And I haven't even mentioned Jackson who Hewitt seems fairly high on.

Holloway chucking up 3s is in reference to him being mainly a 3 point shooter. Thats all and good and dangerous, but when that shot if off he is limited in trying to create for himself. I have no doubt hell rack his share of points up, but I dont really see him in the same light as Allen, Wright, Long or a player of that caliber. Im trying to identify a player that can be our go to guy in regards to offense, and Im having an issue finding one.

Im sorry but Moore is now 19, 20 years old and I dont share the same optimism that all of the sudden in one offseason he will improve a shot that has been there for his entire life.

Gray we have seen glimpses of and talent isnt a question, its if Hewitt will put him in. Personally I still think Gray is the guy that could fill the shoes of Allen/Wright......but will Hewitt call his number and give him a chance?

Again collectively well have a very nice assembly of talent....just by now after these 3 seasons of Hewitt ball Im not expecting them to mesh together.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
If we get a Kelly Mehrtens-style hiring, we are well and truly doomed. She finished the job of destroying UNCW's basketball program that was started by Mike Capaccio.

I'm not saying that any female hired as AD would be a disaster, but I'm hoping that Cabrera is smart enough to go for something more than a social statement.

Yeah I don't care if it s a woman, man or martian.

I want an AD who sees the potential, wants to win, and in a way...has aspirations for "big things."

Mehrtens failures were less about being a female, but more about athletics being a "happy little department" from what I have been told.

Thank god Merten isn't making the call, cause I fear that's what we would have gotten....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Im sorry but Moore is now 19, 20 years old and I dont share the same optimism that all of the sudden in one offseason he will improve a shot that has been there for his entire life.

Not trying to be disagreeable, but very few kids can afford to go to a shot doctor and have their shot broken down while they're still in high school.

The level of individual skill development, even at a prep school, is typically very limited. Coaches are there to win games and send players to college, and a guy like Moore was quick enough to get to the rim basically whenever he wanted to. Hence, no need to develop a real consistent J.

Given what the kid showed as a freshman, I'd be willing to bet that our coaches are in the process of breaking down and rebuilding his shooting form into something he can rely on under game stress.

He's probably taking 500 jumpers a day minimum. While I don't expect him to be raining 3s next season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he shows much improved shooting touch from 15 feet and in. With his quickness and handle, that should be plenty.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Not trying to be disagreeable, but very few kids can afford to go to a shot doctor and have their shot broken down while they're still in high school.

The level of individual skill development, even at a prep school, is typically very limited. Coaches are there to win games and send players to college, and a guy like Moore was quick enough to get to the rim basically whenever he wanted to. Hence, no need to develop a real consistent J.

Given what the kid showed as a freshman, I'd be willing to bet that our coaches are in the process of breaking down and rebuilding his shooting form into something he can rely on under game stress.

He's probably taking 500 jumpers a day minimum. While I don't expect him to be raining 3s next season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he shows much improved shooting touch from 15 feet and in. With his quickness and handle, that should be plenty.

Could be the case, but we'll find out soon enough.

But changing and more than likely overhauling something critical like a shot is very difficult and takes a while if it ever gets there. Which is why it's preferable to be a bad shooter with good form....same as it is with pitchers or qbs (Tim Tebow worked a lot on his motion....we see how that worked out).

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the key for Moore isn't necessarily changing his form but just becoming more accurate with it as is. I'm sure there are a few mechanical things they can do, but completely overhauling it would be impossible. Carlos Boozer of the Bulls has one of the worst looking shots I've ever seen, but he somehow manages to make it work

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Could be the case, but we'll find out soon enough.

But changing and more than likely overhauling something critical like a shot is very difficult and takes a while if it ever gets there. Which is why it's preferable to be a bad shooter with good form....same as it is with pitchers or qbs (Tim Tebow worked a lot on his motion....we see how that worked out).

Textbook form or not, I'd be OK if Moore wins a Naismith national player of the year award before he graduates from Mason. :bigsmile:

Patriotfan49

Starter
Carlos Boozer of the Bulls has one of the worst looking shots I've ever seen, but he somehow manages to make it work

Thought you were going in another direction there:

Carlos-Boozer-hair-3.jpg

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think the key for Moore isn't necessarily changing his form but just becoming more accurate with it as is. I'm sure there are a few mechanical things they can do, but completely overhauling it would be impossible. Carlos Boozer of the Bulls has one of the worst looking shots I've ever seen, but he somehow manages to make it work

Technically, Moore's shot is just busted. There are so many things he does wrong, it's almost impossible to believe he ever makes one beyond 2 feet.

You're not going to be able to tweak that thing to make it consistent.

It may not be that noticeable to the naked eye, but I'm willing to bet Hewitt has him shooting in a much more fundamentally sound way next season.

Patriotfan49

Starter
It may not be that noticeable to the naked eye, but I'm willing to bet Hewitt has him shooting in a much more fundamentally sound way next season.

Let me just get on the same page as you, is this the same Hewitt that people have been complaining about the lack of development in our players? Just double checking.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Let me just get on the same page as you, is this the same Hewitt that people have been complaining about the lack of development in our players? Just double checking.

While the coach does bear responsibility for identifying areas of needed improvement and putting together a solid offseason plan, skill development is also a matter of how hard the player is willing to work.

In that respect, Hewitt is like all other coaches. He can lead his players to water, but can't make 'em drink.

Patriotfan49

Starter
While the coach does bear responsibility for identifying areas of needed improvement and putting together a solid offseason plan, skill development is also a matter of how hard the player is willing to work.

In that respect, Hewitt is like all other coaches. He can lead his players to water, but can't make 'em drink.

Totally agreed. But for us, and the team performance its 6 in one hand half dozen in the other. Whether its because of the coach or the player.....if they dont improve and never improve it really makes no difference why....all that matters if that they did or didnt.