Shevon Thompson 6'11 Center Signs with GMU!

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Wow, Hewitt really is a magician on the recruiting trail.

ODU wanted him bad and had a vacancy at the 5 spot. Thompson could've walked in there and started from Day 1.

But despite Hewitt's tenuous employment status and the fact that we finished last in the A-10 last season, he still convinced a 7-foot kid to come to Mason and compete for a starting job with a rising senior whose uncle is an assistant coach.

Given that we are in a conference that got 6 bids last year and ODU is in one that only had an autobid - and that team (Tulsa) is leaving C-USA - we (and the other A-10 schools) should beat ODU 90% of the time on the recruiting trail. I'll agree that it is a little tougher to sell due to PT and the current state of our program, but I think we over-rate his recruiting ability because its the best of a weak lot of skills. It's like saying Sarah Jessica Parker has great legs; they're okay, but not spectacular...but far better than the rest of her.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A10 or confusa? One had 6 teams in dance the other is irrelavant. Another advantage of being in a good league. Still gotta coach the team though.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Still not sure how we score on a consistent basis. Hopefully a few guys step up as the "go-to" night in and night out. But I think it's going to be random, with different guys having good games on different days.

I like this kids size though. It'll definitely help when our bigs get into foul trouble.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Like they say . . . you can't teach height. My question is, can he be taught defense and rebounding?

Wow, Hewitt really is a magician on the recruiting trail.

ODU wanted him bad and had a vacancy at the 5 spot. Thompson could've walked in there and started from Day 1.

But despite Hewitt's tenuous employment status and the fact that we finished last in the A-10 last season, he still convinced a 7-foot kid to come to Mason and compete for a starting job with a rising senior whose uncle is an assistant coach.

F-ing unbelievable. At some point, I'm gonna kidnap Hewitt and take him to Alaska so I can watch him sell ice to Eskimos.

Oh yeah, welcome to Mason, Shevon! Gonna be nice to have a 7-foot shot blocker in the middle when those A-10 guards start running the layup line against us.

Mason was on Thompson well before ODU. Sometimes kid like the staff that has been with them all along. Mason was that staff in this case. Just go back and look when Thompson was first brought up on this board.....figure they've been in contact with him long before that.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Like they say . . . you can't teach height. My question is, can he be taught defense and rebounding?

See - http://www.jucorecruiting.com/njcaa-d1-final-four-preview/: "Forward Shevon Thompson has rebounded the ball well on both ends and is averaging 10.5 rebounds per game through three games."

Hopefully, Shevon Thompson will continue to improve and get stronger, and push Erik Copes to be the player that we expected him to be.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Thompson has a "Jenkins" type motor, I could see him being a formidable combination with Jenkins up front. Judging from the amount of rebounds he grabs, it seems like it. Granted the competition is less than the A-10, but it still takes effort. The team Hewitt has assembled is very lengthy, athletic, and tall. Even if hes not around to coach, there are definitely some interesting pieces.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Lets get real. If he had Jenkins motor hed be at a bcs school. 7 ft is just a number until he proves he can play in a10.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lets get real. If he had Jenkins motor hed be at a bcs school. 7 ft is just a number until he proves he can play in a10.

I get what you are saying. He could be a 7 footer with no clue and get pushed around like none other. I'm hoping he is aggressive to be a good duo up front with Jenkins, the team certainly could use it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Depends on how skilled he is on the offensive side of the ball. My guess is he is a work in progress there.

I really don't think anyone should expect him to come in and start over Copes right away. But so long as he's not a stiff, can clog the lane and rip down defensive rebounds, he will help this team immensely next season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Depends on how skilled he is on the offensive side of the ball. My guess is he is a work in progress there.

I really don't think anyone should expect him to come in and start over Copes right away. But so long as he's not a stiff, can clog the lane and rip down defensive rebounds, he will help this team immensely next season.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Well, he's tall... and, he's tall.

15 in White
Man, that was not a very flattering video for him. I know its a highlight video so it's mostly only going to show made baskets, but he consistently gets posted up and scored on by smaller opponents without even altering their shot. I didn't see his teammates every looking for him offensively, not did I see any quickness or much athleticism. Now I wish I had not watched that video :(

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
at 7', its obvious this guy is a work in progress. Otherwise he would be at a BSC school with that size. After watching the video, it looks like he has pretty quick feet for a big guy. I see an unpolished diamond. Hopefully this guy ends up like Larry Sanders, who didn't play organized ball until 10th grade.

Great get in my opinion. 7 feet guys dont come around too often . It's definitely worth the risk in hopes of developing him.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
at 7', its obvious this guy is a work in progress. Otherwise he would be at a BSC school with that size. After watching the video, it looks like he has pretty quick feet for a big guy. I see an unpolished diamond. Hopefully this guy ends up like Larry Sanders, who didn't play organized ball until 10th grade.

Great get in my opinion. 7 feet guys dont come around too often . It's definitely worth the risk in hopes of developing him.

Unpolished diamonds are great if you get them for 4 (or 5) years to help them develop and grow, but when it's a juco player that you get for two years... I would hope the diamond has a little more shine than this.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Unpolished diamonds are great if you get them for 4 (or 5) years to help them develop and grow, but when it's a juco player that you get for two years... I would hope the diamond has a little more shine than this.

Not to make him a role player right away, but Copes is a senior this upcoming season and we also recruited Trey Porter who needs some strength and conditioning, but from all accounts is fairly skilled already.

We aren't absolutely desperate for a center who needed to start right away.