Shevon Thompson 6'11 Center Signs with GMU!

G M U

Starter
My prediction:
8ib9a.jpg

Patriotfan49

Starter
Not to make him a role player right away, but Copes is a senior this upcoming season and we also recruited Trey Porter who needs some strength and conditioning, but from all accounts is fairly skilled already.

We aren't absolutely desperate for a center who needed to start right away.

Then why blow a scholly on him and that position?

2 years is a very short turn around, especially given the roster we have with Copes a senior probably on the floor the majority of the time he can be, Porter maybe redshirting and assuming starting next year....seems an odd fit to throw an offer at a 7 foot role player to come off the bench. Especially given the uncertainty about SGs that we currently have and the continual PG search.

Patriotfan49

Starter
It's called depth

Bringing guys in solely for depth with limited schollies is what championship caliber , and loaded/talented teams do. We are in the cellar, and imo dont have the luxury of adding more "depth" to an already crowded front court especially with the other holes we have.

For example: I imagine there would be some backlash and serious questions if the Skins took a Qb in round 2 or 3 next week.......

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bringing guys in solely for depth with limited schollies is what championship caliber , and loaded/talented teams do. We are in the cellar, and imo dont have the luxury of adding more "depth" to an already crowded front court with the other holes we have.

For example: I imagine there would be some backlash and serious questions if the Skins took a Qb in round 3 next week.......

Not if they knew their starting quarterback was retiring after the season (comparing college to the pros in this scenario just doesn't work anyway).

Bringing Thompson on gives Hewitt the flexibility to red-shirt Porter (which we all seem to want). If that does happen, we will have two legit centers on the roster (Copes and Thompson) none of Marko, Royal or Jenkins should be playing minutes at the 5.

So in the scenario that we red-shirt Porter, Copes graduates and Porter will be inexperienced with no real game time under his belt so you've got Thompson as a bridge now between the Copes era and the Porter era.

We talk about roster management, that's what this is.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Once upon a time, whenever Harcum center Shevon Thompson went to the free-throw line, it was almost like a comedy of errors.

Through the first 10 games of the season, he was hitting below a 40-percent clip from the charity stripe and dreaded whenever he’d get an attempt.

Those days seemed like eons ago to him when he took to the line down the stretch against Trinity Valley in the third round.

Brimming with confidence, Thompson went a perfect six-for-six from the free-throw line in the closing three minutes to help clinch Harcum’s 69-56 win over Trinity Valley Thursday and a berth in the NJCAA tournament final four.

Thompson, whose free-throw shooting percentage has skyrocketed during the last half of the season, said his newfound swagger at the line is simply a byproduct of all of the blood, sweat and tears he shed practicing.

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/juco_tourney/article_e6239740-9b73-50f7-8f3c-5b665c2d00f6.html

masonjoe

Starter
Bringing guys in solely for depth with limited schollies is what championship caliber , and loaded/talented teams do. We are in the cellar, and imo dont have the luxury of adding more "depth" to an already crowded front court especially with the other holes we have.

Don't really see how it's that crowded. Marko might see less minutes as they dwindled all last year. Copes is only other true center and he often can't stay in games. Julian can play the 3 or 4 and Jenkins mostly at the 4. Trey will either redshirt or see limited action.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Why are we already putting down a kid who just signed?

None of us know what kind of player he's going to be by the time preseason practice rolls around, and yet, we're assuming he was signed merely to provide depth.

Even if the only benefit we derive from Shevon over the next 2 years is allowing Trey Porter to take a redshirt year, that would be huge IMHO.

Who knows? Maybe he turns into something much more than a stopgap. I for one am glad to have him on board.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Not if they knew their starting quarterback was retiring after the season (comparing college to the pros in this scenario just doesn't work anyway).

Bringing Thompson on gives Hewitt the flexibility to red-shirt Porter (which we all seem to want). If that does happen, we will have two legit centers on the roster (Copes and Thompson) none of Marko, Royal or Jenkins should be playing minutes at the 5.

So in the scenario that we red-shirt Porter, Copes graduates and Porter will be inexperienced with no real game time under his belt so you've got Thompson as a bridge now between the Copes era and the Porter era.

We talk about roster management, that's what this is.

Thats all fine and dandy, and it was just a general comparison so no need to analyze it beyond that.....

I simply just would have rather seen a SG or PG Juco. The roster management there has been less than stellar from day one until this point. Nobody is putting Thompson down, just thought we had bigger holes elsewhere.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
Don't really see how it's that crowded. Marko might see less minutes as they dwindled all last year. Copes is only other true center and he often can't stay in games. Julian can play the 3 or 4 and Jenkins mostly at the 4. Trey will either redshirt or see limited action.

Frontcourt situation>Backcourt

KAOriginal

All-American
Well.since Hewitt knows he's on the hot seat.....and the team composition is a bit of question mark....

How about he takes who is ready to sign.....and makes it true earn your spot and minutes situation?

Im sure he might have wanted another guard...but as said you dont often get a 6'11+ guy...so you might as well wrap him up if you can.....

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Thats all fine and dandy, and it was just a general comparison so no need to analyze it beyond that.....

I simply just would have rather seen a SG or PG Juco. The roster management there has been less than stellar from day one until this point. Nobody is putting Thompson down, just thought we had bigger holes elsewhere.

I have to think that a PG is a priority for 2015, considering Edwards will be gone. The staff probably thinks Moore and Edwards can hold it down. In addition, Jackson will also be expected to handle some PG duties.

As far as SG I completely see your pt there. From what I read it appears Lockett (yes I know some of you disagree) and Jackson (yes there are doubts about him too) will also help out there with Holloway. There is a lot of guys who seem to be able to be mixed and matched at the 2/3. I'm not saying this is the best method, I'm merely sharing my opinion based on what I see on the roster.
I think the staff got this right in terms of priority need and then they (or whomever) can adjust in 2015 recruiting.

Last edited:

masonjoe

Starter
Frontcourt situation>Backcourt

You're putting a lot of emphasis on certain position titles. You have no idea what kind of lineups the staff is anticipating to run with this group of players. Just because Verbal Commits labels Lockett a SF doesn't mean he can only play just that. Same goes for Jackson.

Patriotfan49

Starter
You're putting a lot of emphasis on certain position titles. You have no idea what kind of lineups the staff is anticipating to run with this group of players. Just because Verbal Commits labels Lockett a SF doesn't mean he can only play just that. Same goes for Jackson.

Im not actually, but thanks for telling me what I think. Im well aware Jackson, Lockett and Mayimba are taken into consideration in the back court, but they have not played a second in D1 college ball so they are complete unknowns. Add that to Gray who cant seem to get PT for whatever reason, Edwards, Moore and Holloway. Im not too sure where consistent scoring will come from. Moore cant be depended on to consistently score, Holloway is extremely streaky, Edwards is at best a limited backup PG and Gray is glued in the doghouse. IMO our best scorer there is Gray.

Given that we have seen Marko, Copes, Jenkins, Royal play against our competition or similar.....I would still favor the front court is in better shape.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
I have to think that a PG is a priority for 2015, considering Edwards will be gone. The staff probably thinks Moore and Edwards can hold it down. In addition, Jackson will also be expected to handle some PG duties.

As far as SG I completely see your pt there. From what I read it appears Lockett (yes I know some of you disagree) and Jackson (yes there are doubts about him too) will also help out there with Holloway. There is a lot of guys who seem to be able to be mixed and matched at the 2/3. I'm not saying this is the best method, I'm merely sharing my opinion based on what I see on the roster.
I think the staff got this right in terms of priority need and then can they (or whomever) can adjust in 2015 recruiting.

Thats all Im really saying.....I worry about SG and thought a legit scorer would be a good addition. Its not an indictment on Thompson, just thought SG might be the more pressing need and area of impact.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Confused about all of this, not sure how I feel about any of it. The only certainty is that we'll look awful damn good at the airport and getting off the bus.

Thompson is a nice stop gap for the next two years. IMO Copes is sitting with an 0-2 count and who knows if he can keep from strike 3. Perhaps it's a hedge bet for Copes and also allows Porter to redshirt.

I'm just thinking out loud.

masonjoe

Starter
Im not actually, but thanks for telling me what I think. Im well aware Jackson, Lockett and Mayimba are taken into consideration in the back court, but they have not played a second in D1 college ball so they are complete unknowns.

Ok so now you're discussing whether or not the freshman can play in D1. Because that's the point you're trying to make.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Ok so now you're discussing whether or not the freshman can play in D1. Because that's the point you're trying to make.

No...he's saying we aren't sure where they'll be able to play on the court at the D1 level. We all know they are D1 caliber. None of us know exactly where they'll play or how they'll do in certain positions just yet.

These f***ing threads turn into pissing matches far too often, and over dumb s***. (PG for Gunnies office use)

masonjoe

Starter
No...he's saying we aren't sure where they'll be able to play on the court at the D1 level. We all know they are D1 caliber. None of us know exactly where they'll play or how they'll do in certain positions just yet.

That is irrelevant, they will all play because there is no one else! Fine bench them all because they can't play the two. It's a back court of Holloway, Moore, and Edwards then. That must be their plan.