Shevon Thompson 6'11 Center Signs with GMU!

Let me just get on the same page as you, is this the same Hewitt that people have been complaining about the lack of development in our players? Just double checking.

I don't think it is the lack of development of the players. I think it's the lack of development of those players into a cohesive unit.
Players may end up being better basketball players when they leave Mason having played for Hewitt...but will Mason be a better team because of it?

So far.....

masonjoe

Starter
I don't think it is the lack of development of the players. I think it's the lack of development of those players into a cohesive unit.

Not sure about this. Copes, Marko, and Holloway aren't exactly lighting the world on fire and this is year three of Hewitt development.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not sure about this. Copes, Marko, and Holloway aren't exactly lighting the world on fire and this is year three of Hewitt development.

I agree - I think Hewitt has failed so far in both player and team development. Nothing but preseason honors and unmet potential in the end last year.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Masonjoe, I have to disagree. Copes doubled his productivity, I mean length of suspension to begin the year. Now that is progress.;)

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Masonjoe, I have to disagree. Copes doubled his productivity, I mean length of suspension to begin the year. Now that is progress.;)

'81, you're on a roll lately. I'm still laughing at your comment yesterday about how impressive we will look in airports and getting off the bus.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It sure doesnt feel like we will be any good, but I am a lil excited to see these new guys play. I already know hewitt is gonna jack the team. As for thompson, he is deon cooper 2.

But Allen developed a pretty good jump shot by his senior year (how much is his work, how much is Hewitt's player development?) so I give some credit to Hewitt there. A lot of people raved about how good JA was the last 20 games of the season his junior year. Certainly there are examples on both sides, but I guess I was talking more about the concept of Hewitt's player development vs a coach that is more about the team development.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Allen and Arledge did improve, but you have to balance that with Williams, Edwards, Gray, Okoloji, and arguably even Sherrod Wright.

At the end of the day, it's immaterial though. He wasn't hired to ultimately develop individual players - he was hired to win games and last I checked, we were 4-12 last year and got swept by Fordham.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not only were we swept by fordham but got run by princeton. Blew alot of games with three seniors and 4 juniors on it. If hewitt cant get thru to two fifth year seniors who can he get thru to? Lebron James? The history will repeat itself.

Herndon

All-Conference
Interesting (to me) tidbit, the other big man for Thompson's JC team (he was the one canning all the threes) is Ivan Uceda, a 6'10 stretch 4 who will be playing for Miami next year.

Small (recruiting) world.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Point taken. I was in the mindset of foreign meaning there are 5 consonants to every 1 vowel in their name.....

You could offer me $100 and five tries, and I still wouldn't come close to being able to spell Marko's last name.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Thompson has impressive rebounding stats for a guy playing only 18 minutes a game. On the other hand, why did he only average 18 minutes a game?