News New Mason Athletics Logo Coming Soon?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In my experience any new logo looks stupid. Go on any message board when a new logo is introduced and it is overwhelmingly negative.

Having said that, the new logo is stupid.

It went from an overwhelmingly flamboyant design that looks like it belonged in a Brazilian carnival parade designed by Richard Simmons to something someone drew up while they were having a stroke.

What kind of a stroke? A stroke of the pen? A stroke of bad luck? Good luck? Sorry, I'm not following you here

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Reminds me of Soul Train. Maybe with color it will work. The ice hockey locker room got a logo. But not this one??

Screenshot_20240424_082224_Chrome.jpg

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If I’m being honest it feels like Mason is once again getting caught into the design zeitgeist of the times (in this case minimalism and “clean lines”). Will it be iconic in 20 years or feel dated again?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkvO6C9pTs
This is almost my exact thinking. Instead of iconic that will stand the test of time, we went with the latest fad.

We started with GMU. Then a marketing firm convinced us that we needed to use Mason. Now we have been convinced to go with GM and a bad logo. I know how I am going to make $200k in about 10 years when this thing has failed the test of time: I am going to start a marketing firm and approach Mason with an idea. "You need to differentiate yourself from General Motors and the abbreviation for General Manager. You should use GMU."

This is not the final logo, but it's very similar - just so you can see what it will look like with color:

whoever thought of this should be fired. whoever approved it should be fired as well.

There should've been public feedback allowed. At least add a "U" so we understand what the GM is related to.

They should've started with the JMU logo and enhanced it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Masonfan3

Starter
whoever thought of this should be fired. whoever approved it should be fired as well.

There should've been public feedback allowed.
Agree. After seeing that atrocity last night I reached out to a couple current student athletes and a coach to see if they had seen the new logo. Response I got was..” yes, and we are embarrassed”

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is almost my exact thinking. Instead of iconic that will stand the test of time, we went with the latest fad.

We started with GMU. Then a marketing firm convinced us that we needed to use Mason. Now we have been convinced to go with GM and a bad logo. I know how I am going to make $200k in about 10 years when this thing has failed the test of time: I am going to start a marketing firm and approach Mason with an idea. "You need to differentiate yourself from General Motors and the abbreviation for General Manager. You should use GMU."
I kind of always liked GAMOO. Or even GEEMOO.
(For you old timers)

AtBo

Four-star Recruit
A few thoughts...
First things first, that monkey paw is probably feeling smug right now.
Secondly the masontv student reporter seemed to laugh right before displaying the image so either its a joke or a seriously misinformed decision by the universit- oh wait its that one isnt it...
Lastly, I wonder if they are trying to match the Va. Tech logo but failing to do so...

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A real university would role out all new apparel with the unveiling of their new logo, maybe even have a special like 20% off on it to promote the new branding. All the new gear of course would be from their official apparel sponsor in our case adidas.

Show me you’ve learned something over the years.
Gear is coming this week!
Adidas gear is coming this week? I’m kind of shocked, hope it’s fresh.
I was so excited to buy some new gear this week with the shiny new logo on it. I was prepared to be all in on this new logo. Unfortunately, it just so much worse than I could have imagined. I won't be buying any new logo gear for the foreseeable future.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was so excited to buy some new gear this week with the shiny new logo on it. I was prepared to be all in on this new logo. Unfortunately, it just so much worse than I could have imagined. I won't be buying any new logo gear for the foreseeable future.
If you won't buy anything that's a pretty damning statement. I was at the bookstore about two weeks ago. New gear is in now? If so, I'll make the trip to take a look.