News New Mason Athletics Logo Coming Soon?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We all wanted the star gone. Now the star is gone. I’m happy about that.

I would have preferred using the logo mason baseball uses.

its whatever.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm underwhelmed, but I'm trying to focus on the positives:
- No star
- Resizes cleanly to a very small size for social media and broadcast TV
- If I squint, I can still tell the difference between it and GW's logo
- No other D1 program or prominant international university uses a GM logo
- It's not dated like the last logo, so it should hold up for as long as we choose to keep it
- Before I forget, no deformed shooting star

Also I think the full color version will look a good bit better than what was posted here.

This might be one of those things where it doesn't mean much now, but give it 20 or 30 years and it will be iconic. I think the university is playing the long game here.

All that said, I personally hoped for something more, but I'm also grateful we didn't end up with something worse.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm underwhelmed, but I'm trying to focus on the positives:
- No star
- Resizes cleanly to a very small size for social media and broadcast TV
- If I squint, I can still tell the difference between it and GW's logo
- No other D1 program or prominant international university uses a GM logo
- It's not dated like the last logo, so it should hold up for as long as we choose to keep it
- Before I forget, no deformed shooting star

Also I think the full color version will look a good bit better than what was posted here.

This might be one of those things where it doesn't mean much now, but give it 20 or 30 years and it will be iconic. I think the university is playing the long game here.

All that said, I personally hoped for something more, but I'm also grateful we didn't end up with something worse.
Positive spin, but gee whiz, is this the best we can do?
Hoping the colorized version will look better.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It sucks. Only Mason could do such a bad job that I yearn for the good ole days of the shooting star.

I don’t have that long for this thing to not suck.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If I’m being honest it feels like Mason is once again getting caught into the design zeitgeist of the times (in this case minimalism and “clean lines”). Will it be iconic in 20 years or feel dated again?

Also assuming the two black lines with be the green and the interior of the letters will be gold?

Edit: I’m editing this to say that is Mason pays for Jony Ive to come out and give a ridiculous argument about why the Mason logo needs to be so simplistic this will fix everything. Don’t believe me?
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkvO6C9pTs

Last edited:

JPgmuswim

Starter
A real university would role out all new apparel with the unveiling of their new logo, maybe even have a special like 20% off on it to promote the new branding. All the new gear of course would be from their official apparel sponsor in our case adidas.

Show me you’ve learned something over the years.

By George.

Starter
A real university would role out all new apparel with the unveiling of their new logo, maybe even have a special like 20% off on it to promote the new branding. All the new gear of course would be from their official apparel sponsor in our case adidas.

Show me you’ve learned something over the years.
Gear is coming this week!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the interlocking GM that Kim emphasized on the team’s gear, because he like everyone else despised the ridiculous shooting star.

I have multiple hats and shirts with that GM and it’s clean. It reproduces well in a variety of sizes and formats. It works.

If Mason paid a design firm $20 for the new logo, it should ask for $19 back.

Better than the star? Sure. OK. But also another glaring example of overthinking something that isn’t that complicated.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In my experience any new logo looks stupid. Go on any message board when a new logo is introduced and it is overwhelmingly negative.

Having said that, the new logo is stupid.

It went from an overwhelmingly flamboyant design that looks like it belonged in a Brazilian carnival parade designed by Richard Simmons to something someone drew up while they were having a stroke. Maybe when I see it with color, it’ll look better?

Winning consistently will improve my opinion of this logo as it will just about everyone.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Lettering along the lines of the Toronto Blue Jays? Not great.

Attachments

• 3892_toronto_blue_jays-wordmark-2020.png
    3892_toronto_blue_jays-wordmark-2020.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: