News New Mason Athletics Logo Coming Soon?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The reality of the situation — and this might be a good thing — is any student entering Mason in the Fall will have no knowledge of the history of Mason's logo nor will they give a sh-t. My son started at Mason a few years ago and loaded up on apparel in the bookstore. He never once questioned or cared what the logo was. My daughter is a freshman at Virginia Tech, and just buys whatever they offer as well.

I am not a fan of the new logo, but I also know that the people on these boards and the vocal people on social media are a very small minority who see this as a problem. Most alumni and even current students — I'd venture in high 90 percentile — couldn't care less about the old or new logo. Apathy, in this case, is our friend.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or discourage people from venting. I'm just saying it is what it is and that it will be a complete non-issue in a few months.
I agree with everything stated except for the part where you said "and this might be a good thing".

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The reality of the situation — and this might be a good thing — is any student entering Mason in the Fall will have no knowledge of the history of Mason's logo nor will they give a sh-t. My son started at Mason a few years ago and loaded up on apparel in the bookstore. He never once questioned or cared what the logo was. My daughter is a freshman at Virginia Tech, and just buys whatever they offer as well.

I am not a fan of the new logo, but I also know that the people on these boards and the vocal people on social media are a very small minority who see this as a problem. Most alumni and even current students — I'd venture in high 90 percentile — couldn't care less about the old or new logo. Apathy, in this case, is our friend.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or discourage people from venting. I'm just saying it is what it is and that it will be a complete non-issue in a few months.
Completely agree with you - some of the noise about the logo comes from the same folks who also were extremely hurt about the naming of the Patriot Center to Eaglebank Arena. This doesn’t include the diehard contingent who proudly supports it.

Win basketball games and nobody will care- and hopefully the folks who are so passionate about the logo care about winning basketball games too.

True, but I still need to vent for awhile.
NO VENTING ONLY YELLING

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I've heard from numerous friends over the course of the day. None of them are season ticket holders or members of the boards, I'm working on that, and it's unanimous.... No one likes the new logo. I had hoped for better. Oh well, time cures all....... I hope the new floor will incorporate something else to add interest.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Here’s how to really turn it into a positive. Take a page from almost any political news organization and use the hate to generate millions of dollars. Then, take that money and send it to Zach Anderson’s house.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Completely agree with you - the noise about the logo comes from the same folks who also were extremely hurt about the naming of the Patriot Center to Eaglebank Arena.

Win basketball games and nobody will care- and hopefully the folks who are so passionate about the logo care about winning basketball games too.
Now, I disagree with you here. Those against EBA naming can't see the forest for the trees. You gotta take the money. This logo is typically worn by those of us that cheer the hardest for the team. It is a slap in the face of those fans that they did such a piss poor job of this and it cost us money.

But, hey, I just saved thousands of dollars on my car insurance, I mean clothing budget.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Completely agree with you - the noise about the logo comes from the same folks who also were extremely hurt about the naming of the Patriot Center to Eaglebank Arena.

NO VENTING ONLY YELLING
Steve_Carrell_Loud_Noises_Meme.jpg

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Now, I disagree with you here. Those against EBA naming can't see the forest for the trees. You gotta take the money. This logo is typically worn by those of us that cheer the hardest for the team. It is a slap in the face of those fans that they did such a piss poor job of this. But, I just saved thousands of dollars on my car insurance, I mean clothing budget.
Let me clarify

The folks I'm referring to are more the crowd that you don't hear from other than in the naming rights or in this case the logo.

There is a big difference between hearing from the crowd who is engaged, attends games and unhappy versus the crowd who posts long rants on facebook about a logo, but hasn't ever shown up and supported. And wouldn't wear Mason gear even if they liked the logo.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've heard from numerous friends over the course of the day. None of them are season ticket holders or members of the boards, I'm working on that, and it's unanimous.... No one likes the new logo. I had hoped for better. Oh well, time cures all....... I hope the new floor will incorporate something else to add interest.
Same - been getting texts all day as my friends' go to Mason person... I mean "CM" person

Let me clarify

The folks I'm referring to are more the crowd that you don't hear from other than in the naming rights or in this case the logo.

There is a big difference between hearing from the crowd who is engaged, attends games and unhappy versus the crowd who posts long rants on facebook about a logo, but hasn't ever shown up and supported. And wouldn't wear Mason gear even if they liked the logo.
Slowly puts pitchfork down...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also, not for nothing but they very easily could’ve tweaked the existing logo to add the G next to the M. Can’t think of any reason why the letters necessarily have to be connected.

Putting them side by side would really confusing General Motors and George Mason. GM’s simple logo is a million times better than ours.

I’m not exactly sure why they decided GMU was so bad as a logo (is there another GMU logo out there?)

The green and gold color scheme is just rough. They missed an opportunity to find a better one. But wouldn’t the logo look better if the G and M were solid green with a gold trim? I don’t like the thick lines and “jelly roll” look to the letters.

I suspect this logo won’t last 15 years. This rebrand is not going to work.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

A good friend of mine from Mason is currently taking grad classes, she said everyone on campus hates the logo

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Putting them side by side would really confusing General Motors and George Mason. GM’s simple logo is a million times better than ours.

I’m not exactly sure why they decided GMU was so bad as a logo (is there another GMU logo out there?)

The green and gold color scheme is just rough. They missed an opportunity to find a better one. But wouldn’t the logo look better if the G and M were solid green with a gold trim? I don’t like the thick lines and “jelly roll” look to the letters.

If you’re using the quill M next to the G, I’m pretty sure nobody is confusing that with General Motors

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah, I've never been a fan of green and gold...especially for Patriots. Just doesn't fit.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A good friend of mine from Mason is currently taking grad classes, she said everyone on campus hates the logo
I doubt she polled 20,000 students, but I get your overall point that the logo is not popular. I don't like it either. My larger point is that it will be a non-issue in a few months.

I have no problem if diehard fans boycott apparel with the new logo on it, because I am currently in that camp as well. I might think differently in a few months when basketball season starts. Who knows?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah the logo is a big pile of meh. I can’t blame people for wanting to boycott the logo, buy clothing with the old logo etc.

Just a huge opportunity blown by Mason which is very typical. And with the majority of people (engaged/nonengaged) united, you’d think someone on their side would say “holy crap we did something wrong here”. Just a big f**k up as usual though.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I
Yeah the logo is a big pile of meh. I can’t blame people for wanting to boycott the logo, buy clothing with the old logo etc.

Just a huge opportunity blown by Mason which is very typical. And with the majority of people (engaged/nonengaged) united, you’d think someone on their side would say “holy crap we did something wrong here”. Just a big f**k up as usual though.
And in typical Mason fashion, they clumsily announce this when literally nothing else is going on. You could have hedged your bets and announced it after a huge Mason athletic or school event. Nope, let's drop it at the end of April so everyone can focus on how bad it is....Agreed, that if we win noone cares, but it's just another example of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I

And in typical Mason fashion, they clumsily announce this when literally nothing else is going on. You could have hedged your bets and announced it after a huge Mason athletic or school event. Nope, let's drop it at the end of April so everyone can focus on how bad it is....Agreed, that if we win noone cares, but it's just another example of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.
100%. Mason Madness would have been perfect or like after beating Dayton or right before the A10 tournament. Something else.

Now everyone can analyze and shit on it for the next 3 months since nothing else is going on.