News New Mason Athletics Logo Coming Soon?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
How is it just one logo? No alternate logo to support athletics? Nothing related to the quill, VA bill of rights, VA in general, anything that gives the branding a sense of identity??

Our new AD supported a more thorough rebrand effort at Brown, even if it's not much better.
Sincerely not getting political, but I think a big part of the problem is the administration wants Mason to have an identity that frankly does not exist.

The university was named for a founding father, not a billionaire tech bro.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think I know who we can blame for this. See the who's online in the upper right corner of this site:

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.48.32.png

Notice anything eerily familiar to the new logo with those G and M letters?

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How is it just one logo? No alternate logo to support athletics? Nothing related to the quill, VA bill of rights, VA in general, anything that gives the branding a sense of identity??

Our new AD supported a more thorough rebrand effort at Brown, even if it's not much better.

vcu's re-brand: also not the best, but they did a great job creating lots of variations. Its not just “vcu”!

Mason literally made a 5 minute logo and called it a day!

Disagree here. Speaking as a "brand enforcer" during my career, many variations is a cardinal sin when building brand identity and image. Variations dilute the brand. The goal is to build solid recognition. Multiple variations promote a schizophrenic brand. One would see a variation in one context and another variation in another context and confusion is the likely result. In that respect, one will never be able to fully grasp the values for which the logo, and hence the organization, stands. The fewer the "variations" the better.

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Disagree here. Speaking as a "brand enforcer" during my career, many variations is a cardinal sin of brand-building. Variations dilute the brand. The goal is to build solid recognition. Multiple variations promote a schizophrenic brand. One would see a variation in one context and another variation in another context. In that respect, one will never be able to fully grasp the values for which the logo, and hence the organization, stands. The fewer the "variations" the better.
I don't disagree with you, but they already crossed that rubicon...
approved-colors-png.png

GM_FLAT_AU0245_BLACK_FRONT_%23ATHLETICUNION.jpg

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member

vcu's re-brand: also not the best, but they did a great job creating lots of variations. Its not just “vcu”!

Mason literally made a 5 minute logo and called it a day!
The script Patriots was not retired - that will stay. So, I guess you could consider that an alternate logo.

Also, the Patriot was updated:
Spirit-marks-png.png

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The reality of the situation — and this might be a good thing — is any student entering Mason in the Fall will have no knowledge of the history of Mason's logo nor will they give a sh-t. My son started at Mason a few years ago and loaded up on apparel in the bookstore. He never once questioned or cared what the logo was. My daughter is a freshman at Virginia Tech, and just buys whatever they offer as well.

I am not a fan of the new logo, but I also know that the people on these boards and the vocal people on social media are a very small minority who see this as a problem. Most alumni and even current students — I'd venture in high 90 percentile — couldn't care less about the old or new logo. Apathy, in this case, is our friend.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or discourage people from venting. I'm just saying it is what it is and that it will be a complete non-issue in a few months.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The reality of the situation — and this might be a good thing — is any student entering Mason in the Fall will have no knowledge of the history of Mason's logo nor will they give a sh-t. My son started at Mason a few years ago and loaded up on apparel in the bookstore. He never once questioned or cared what the logo was. My daughter is a freshman at Virginia Tech, and just buys whatever they offer as well.

I am not a fan of the new logo, but I also know that the people on these boards and the vocal people on social media are a very small minority who see this as a problem. Most alumni and even current students — I'd venture in high 90 percentile — couldn't care less about the old or new logo. Apathy, in this case, is our friend.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or discourage people from venting. I'm just saying it is what it is and that it will be a complete non-issue in a few months.
True, but I still need to vent for awhile.