MIAMI UPDATE

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes. And if we weren't cheap he wouldn't have to ask every other year. It's good business to take care of your best employees. vcu should of been telling Smart 'we can't pay you as much as the dean of the caa" but we made it easy for them. This applies to assistants too.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes. And if we weren't cheap he wouldn't have to ask every other year. It's good business to take care of your best employees. vcu should of been telling Smart 'we can't pay you as much as the dean of the caa" but we made it easy for them. This applies to assistants too.

But he'd have to match Smart's results to make $1.5 million a year+ and he never has. And once he goes beyond $1.5 million a year he's entering in territory of being paid in the top 10% of all of D1 coaches.

John Beilein at Michigan $1.9 million
Jim Boeheim at Syracuse $1.9 million
Jamie Dixon at Pitt $1.8 million

Does L belong in the conversation with these coaches?

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
Would that L brought in a 14th ranked recruiting class in the nation like Shaka has done this year to follow up on the final four run.

I mean, L does have some talent coming in, with the 35th best recruiting class in the country.

My question is, even with the shiny new practice facility in Miami, why can't L still match Shaka?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Question was it worth it to retain our most successfull coach in program history. answer is clearly yes. Just as much a yes as vcu is saying it with what they are investing in their program. We didnt re-invest. We kept taking from our ff run. As Merten said........"...gift that kept on giving"

Patriotfan49

Starter
But he'd have to match Smart's results to make $1.5 million a year+ and he never has. And once he goes beyond $1.5 million a year he's entering in territory of being paid in the top 10% of all of D1 coaches.

John Beilein at Michigan $1.9 million
Jim Boeheim at Syracuse $1.9 million
Jamie Dixon at Pitt $1.8 million

Does L belong in the conversation with these coaches?

Thats a subjective question and depends on alot of things.

Was Shanny worth his upper eschelon 7 million dollars, or did his results validate that? Does Shaka deserve to get paid like the top tier coaches after what he has done (not the same as those coaches listed)?

At the time, Larranaga was more valuable to us as a program than the value of the contract financially. As we can see, good coaches dont grow on trees and when you have one you should try and keep them. This doesnt mean we would be a perrenial contender for deep runs, or we wouldnt have frustrating times as we did while he was here, but we would be in a much better place than we are now.

And when the time comes when that coach has worn out his welcome, or become too greedy...then you have a viable legit list of options and run a solid coach search to ensure you do your best to get a quality guy. Not the Mickey Mouse petty search TOC ran.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Cause he's not Shaka? There are so many variables at play that you'll never get a valid answer to that question.

I never understood why people continue to try and compare players or coaches on one team to another....in any sport. It makes no sense, and there is literally an endless amount of reasons why the cases are different.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
And when the time comes when that coach has worn out his welcome, or become too greedy...then you have a viable legit list of options and run a solid coach search to ensure you do your best to get a quality guy. Not the Mickey Mouse petty search TOC ran.

So calling Miami on his own and forcing us to double his salary or he walks not qualify as greedy?

Patriotfan49

Starter
So calling Miami on his own and forcing us to double his salary or he walks not qualify as greedy?

I didnt say it wasnt, but personally I dont think its all that greedy. To be honest, I dont think that Coach L is the first person to secure another offer with another "company" in an effort to get a raise from his current place of employment......nor will he be the last. Im not upset that he did something that most people in the working world have done at least one time in their career.

To me the bigger issue in that situation was not what Coach L did, but what TOC did/didnt do. When you play ball like Coach L did you have to be willing to walk, and he did. TOC wasnt willing to entertain the idea, nor was he prepared to handle the upcoming decisions of hiring a coach in a proper way. Seems to me advantage Larranaga in that one.

Last edited:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Did he really want a doubling of his salary? Honest question.

The administration never showed the love to the basketball program it should have post FF. Maybe if it had, L doesn't play his hand. GMU basketball had great prospects heading into '11-12 - for the administration not to do what it needed to do to keep L around at that point was ridiculous.

It's not as if L was asking for money after the administration had poured a bunch of money into the program. They maintained the status quo post FF and blew it. The Hewitt hiring was just the latest big blunder. Oh well - it's all been said.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
Well I certainly look forward to documenting extensively onthese boards L's poor seasons as well as his sweet 16 season last year was here.

I think we can all agree 2-8, 11-12 is reflecting poorly on L this year. k

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I think Coach L is coming back. This was all part of the plan.

Both Hewitt and L will be looking for new jobs after let downs this year and next. Then, in 2016-17, Larranaga (who will still be paid from his Miami contract) will return to lead us back into the CIT, and the court will be named after him when he retires into the sunset. :bigsmile:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well I certainly look forward to documenting extensively onthese boards L's poor seasons as well as his sweet 16 season last year was here.

I think we can all agree 2-8, 11-12 is reflecting poorly on L this year. k

Don't agree. Glad they're struggling though. Who thought they'd be good after losing all their key contributors from last year? They're gonna finish where they were projected to finish while we are finishing well below.

He took them farther than they'd ever been last year. Thank you Marquette for making sure they went no further.

Last edited:

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I think Coach L is coming back. This was all part of the plan.

Both Hewitt and L will be looking for new jobs after let downs this year and next. Then, in 2016-17, Larranaga (who will still be paid from his Miami contract) will return to lead us back into the CIT, and the court will be named after him when he retires into the sunset. :bigsmile:
In all seriousness, for better or worse, the court will be named after him. It's just a matter of when.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
I would urge the Miami donors upset by the direction of the Hurricane basketball program to contact Donna Shalala directly, and make your voice heard.

Ask her why she spent all those years working for a sexual predator while you're at it.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The following is from the Miami message board. When was the last time that we saw a similar post on this board about our team?

Posted: Yesterday 9:53 PM

Re: Great win for the Canes
guys played great - i love our coaching staff