MIAMI UPDATE

Just want to update Miami, Fla. for all you gentlemen that had to bring them up in every frickin thread last year. They are 1-3 in the ACC and 9-7 overall and start three seniors.

"Florida State scored 13 consecutive points over the final 4 minutes Wednesday to pull away from the Miami Hurricanes 63-53.
Miami missed six shots in a row during the decisive stretch and went 3 1/2 minutes without a point."

OMG IT MUST BE THE OFFENSE!!!! TERRIBLE COACHING DOWN THE STRETCH!!!! Go on, say it.

This is just for the detractors last year, like GMUcop and other clowns. You don't get to selectively pick Larranaga years and bring them up constantly.

Oh well, some of you still have vcu.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just want to update Miami, Fla. for all you gentlemen that had to bring them up in every frickin thread last year. They are 1-3 in the ACC and 9-7 overall and start three seniors.

"Florida State scored 13 consecutive points over the final 4 minutes Wednesday to pull away from the Miami Hurricanes 63-53.
Miami missed six shots in a row during the decisive stretch and went 3 1/2 minutes without a point."

OMG IT MUST BE THE OFFENSE!!!! TERRIBLE COACHING DOWN THE STRETCH!!!! Go on, say it.

This is just for the detractors last year, like GMUcop and other clowns. You don't get to selectively pick Larranaga years and bring them up constantly.

Oh well, some of you still have vcu.

I really hope you're not trying to suggest that we didn't take an enormous step down in coaching acumen when Larranaga left.

Does that mean he's perfect? No, of course not. He wasn't perfect at Mason.

But Larranaga on his worst day is still 10 times the coach Hewitt is.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
I really hope you're not trying to suggest that we didn't take an enormous step down in coaching acumen when Larranaga left.

Nope, in fact I still root for them to do well.

But no, you guys don't get to bring him up in every other thread for a year and then completely ignore other years.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Larranaga already has as many winning ACC seasons as Hewitt ... and he did it largely with underachieving players recruited by sorry-a** Frank Haith.

Also, a No. 1 national ranking.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
You see progress at Miami. You see bad news bears at Mason.

Wow, I don't see choking down the stretch against an unranked ACC opponent at home with three seniors as progress.

But, to each his own. I guess it is still a better performance than beating Georgia Southern at home by one earlier in the year.

Last edited:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
L took Miami to the Sweet 16 last year and has a very young team this year. Somehow equating L's and Hewitt's performance based on one game is absurd.

Last edited:

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Sorry, Jollay, but it's misleading to say this Miami team has 3 seniors, implying they have 3 guys who have been playing together and have consistent experience like our team who returned everybody until JA left. They lost I believe their top 6 scorers from last year, this years team is essentially a hodge podge of new players, all playing together for the first time. Their improvement over the season has also largely been attributed to two of their newcomers (Kelly and Reed) assuming starting roles.

Rion Brown - 6/7th man last year
Donnavan Kirk - graduate transfer doing his second stint at Miami (Miami to St. Louis back to Miami)
Garius Adams - Red shirted last year, was a role player before that

I don't believe there are too many coaches in the country that could have Miami much better than their current record. I will give you though that there are similarities between the two teams (lack of an ACC caliber point guard, long scoring droughts, and trouble finishing games)

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
Once again, I am not trying to equate Hewitt with Larranaga.

But since last year I had to suffer through thread after thread talking about Miami and vcu and whatever, I am just posting an update of where they are this year. Especially relevant is a 13-0 end of game run, which here always, 100% means bad coaching, but in Miami is an anomaly.

Will post a thread next year when that team sucks as well. Because f you guys.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
I usually root for Miami basketball, but only others' misery will make me feel better right now. An earthquake in Richmond even if it kills my dad who lives there would be fine.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Let me know when L loses to 8-23 Kennesaw State by 17 points with a McD's All American and one other future NBA player on the roster.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Last night when the Massholes went to a zone and we had a few bad possessions, the person behind me literally said, "If Larranaga were here we'd be able to beat this thing." Does no one remember how awful our offense was against zones while he was here? Pretty sure in 2011 vcu beat us in the CAA tournament for the 92nd straight time not through HAVOC, but by witting in a 2-3 zone for about 35 minutes.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

KAOriginal

All-American
Wow, I don't see choking down the stretch against an unranked ACC opponent at home with three seniors as progress.

But, to each his own. I guess it is still a better performance than beating Georgia Southern at home by one earlier in the year.

The question to ask is....is that the night in and night out norm for Miami like it is at Mason?

We have all watched this team implode on itself numerous times the past few years.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
KA, you can have my Coach L bobblhead if you want. I'm not sure it will cure all of your separation anxiety, but it might help a little. :cool:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Sure b/c Maimi isn't in a clear rebuilding mode. Three seniors who hardly played last year and 9 new guys with a new zone defense just installed a few weeks ago. So yea, one, two, or ten games, Miami might shit the bed. There's still noticeable progress. It's small but trending upward. At Mason, you know the deal. Seniors suck. JA didn't believe in the team/coach so he quit. Our Experienced Coach and Experienced Players look like a ymca team at times. Mason= downward trend.

KAOriginal

All-American
KA, you can have my Coach L bobblhead if you want. I'm not sure it will cure all of your separation anxiety, but it might help a little. :cool:

No need for the bobblehead. It wasn't about an OCM love fest.

I was just addressing that comparison that Miami's loss against Fl St does not equal the continual melt downs we have seen the past 3 years at Mason.

They could definitely catch us...but it will take awhile.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

True, but those advocating for Mason to give Larranaga whatever he wanted to keep him miss the point that it was he, not Hewitt, who failed to capitalize on our FF with several mediocre seasons, bad losses and inexplicable meltdowns.