MIAMI UPDATE

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
True, but those advocating for Mason to give Larranaga whatever he wanted to keep him miss the point that it was he, not Hewitt, who failed to capitalize on our FF with several mediocre seasons, bad losses and inexplicable meltdowns.

There were mediocre seasons, meltdowns, bad losses, etc. But the administration didn't capitalize on the FF run from an athletics standpoint. Should have immediately done more upgrades, built a practice facility, etc etc. Some of those things could have brought in a higher caliber recruit leading to less meltdowns, bad losses, etc.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
True, but those advocating for Mason to give Larranaga whatever he wanted to keep him miss the point that it was he, not Hewitt, who failed to capitalize on our FF with several mediocre seasons, bad losses and inexplicable meltdowns.

One could also argue a national championship runner up coach also failed to capitalize on his run. Actually, a very strong case could be made that he descended faster than he ascended. And his rapid fall took guess who on the ride?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There were mediocre seasons, meltdowns, bad losses, etc. But the administration didn't capitalize on the FF run from an athletics standpoint. Should have immediately done more upgrades, built a practice facility, etc etc. Some of those things could have brought in a higher caliber recruit leading to less meltdowns, bad losses, etc.

If you take a look at the whole picture, we weren't getting into the dance on the reg. We were no where close to becoming the Gonzaga of the East. Had we become a reg in the big dance under the OCM, then yes, all those upgrades would be warranted. We will probably never end up in the Final Four again. Assuming this, like the ADMIN did, how do you plot to capitalize on something you are doing for the first time and for the last time? This is equivalent to a rich alumni coming to the frat house and dropping of a suitcase of cash.

But the medicore seasons OCM had were due to personell issues, not coaching issues. Personell issues b/c players leaving, not suspensions. And some didn't pan out. Imagine had OCM been able to recruit here while in the A10. Gonzaga of the East would be almost complete.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you take a look at the whole picture, we weren't getting into the dance on the reg. We were no where close to becoming the Gonzaga of the East. Had we become a reg in the big dance under the OCM, then yes, all those upgrades would be warranted. We will probably never end up in the Final Four again. Assuming this, like the ADMIN did, how do you plot to capitalize on something you are doing for the first time and for the last time? This is equivalent to a rich alumni coming to the frat house and dropping of a suitcase of cash.

But the medicore seasons OCM had were due to personell issues, not coaching issues. Personell issues b/c our conference started to suck and teams were bolting. Imagine had OCM been able to recruit here while in the A10. Gonzaga of the East would be almost complete.

Oh please. The CAA was trending up and the year before he left we had 2 at-large teams and a FF team in vcu. Then Coach L left and ODU and vcu, not before.

If you guys think Cam Long, Ryan Pearson, Will Thomas, Folarin Campbell, John Vaughan, Luke Hancock etc. are personnel issues I don't know what to tell you.

As for capital outlays Delaware built a practice facility, ECU built a practice facility, ODU is building a practice facility. How has that worked out for them? You know who hasn't built a practice facility yet? vcu.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Our other medicore season under OCM were due to guys leaving, one could say. Tarver, Bonner, Mickens, Foster, Trent. Damn, that sounds like an awesome starting 5. Add Vlad, Tyrone Tiggs to list.

Last edited:
OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
But the medicore seasons OCM had were due to personell issues, not coaching issues. Personell issues b/c our conference started to suck and teams were bolting. Imagine had OCM been able to recruit here while in the A10. Gonzaga of the East would be almost complete.

Wow, so let me get this straight. All of L's mediocre years were because our conference sucked.

I wonder if Larranaga also making the tourney with a win over William and Mary in the title game in 08 was because our conference sucked?

Of course, the ACC sucked balls last year as well...little tougher this year.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
So if we get Camelot or another stip club to sponsor Patriot Center, we'll have gold poles everywhere? Sweet! Atleast gold hand rails.

Hey now Good Guys has clear plastic poles with lights inside...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We will probably never end up in the Final Four again ... Gonzaga of the East would be almost complete.

Have you ever looked at the list of schools that have made the NCAAT but NEVER appeared in a Final 4 (see below)? Just appreciate that we got there once instead of acting like not getting back there would be a failure. We just need to focus on getting back to the NCAAT.

As for being the Gonzaga of the East, I bet many of their fans would exchange many of those 16 appearances for the excitement we got from our one lighting-in-a-bottle run. I know I wouldn't trade our 2006 season for anything.

App.School
27 BYU
25 Missouri
23 Xavier
20 Alabama, Utah State
19 Tennessee
18 Boston College, Creighton
17 Miami (OH)
16 Gonzaga
15 Murray State
14 Tulsa, New Mexico, UAB, Weber State
13 Pepperdine, Ohio, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt
12 Arizona State, Davidson, Old Dominion, Texas A&M
11 Idaho State, Navy, Oklahoma City
10 Clemson, Colorado State, Chattanooga, George Washington, Montana, North Carolina A&T, Southern Illinois

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Way to take it out of context, Tom. And shocking that a self proclaimed realist as yourself is upset at a very real statement. Also, nowhere did i say it would be afailure to not return to a final four. Im very proud of our history. But everyone in the East knows who Gonzaga is. Mason you get the "oh yea yall beat unc once awhile back" ..then the " sorry yall got Hewitt". These are real quotes.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Way to take it out of context, Tom. And shocking that a self proclaimed realist as yourself is upset at a very real statement.

GS, I get more of a chuckle of your posts than getting upset, because everything is say is so over the top. The Gonzaga comparison to me is just so overblown, so I thought I offer you a little perspective. The Zags are like college basketball's version of the Texas Rangers, who have had many great seasons but never appeared in a World Series.

Anyway, I think we agree the goal is obviously to get back to the NCAAT. Whether that happens under Hewitt or his replacement (whenever that may be) remains to be seen.

GS, I get more of a chuckle of your posts than getting upset, because everything is say is so over the top. The Gonzaga comparison to me is just so overblown, so I thought I offer you a little perspective. The Zags are like college basketball's version of the Texas Rangers, who have had many great seasons but never appeared in a World Series.

Anyway, I think we agree the goal is obviously to get back to the NCAAT. Whether that happens under Hewitt or his replacement (whenever that may be) remains to be seen.

The Texas Rangers have never appeared in a World Series?

Did you sleep through 2010 and 2011?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Crap, my bad, fellas. I meant to say they've never won a World Series. Either way, Gonzaga and the Rangers have both sucked when it matters most. lol

Dawgs99

Starter

So true, say what you want about our AD/Administration missing the boat on the final 4......which they did, we simply did not win enough on the court to remain the in the national spotlight.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So true, say what you want about our AD/Administration missing the boat on the final 4......which they did, we simply did not win enough on the court to remain the in the national spotlight.

I don't know that it's "missed the boat" on the final four, but rather a generational gap on how to market a college athletics sports program. I think Merten and TOC are pretty old school and have different ideas about what it means to be a student-athlete and what it means for a university to support them as student-athletes. And that's why you see something like the RAC expansion becoming the de facto practice facility, or why the Aquatic and Fitness center got precedence over the Field House for expansion.

And in some ways I understand where they are coming from, but they were coming from a place and a time that no longer exists. It's a difference in philosophy.

But the seeds had already been sown in the first season after the Final Four, before anything could be done or not done by the AD to "capitalize" on our success. We had the bandwagon fans, we had the community interested and this is what our home record looked like in 2006-2007:

11/18 WSU 72 GMU 66 (home opener, final four banner unveiling) (L)
11/28 FIU 39 GMU 65 (Dre Smith coming out party) (W)
12/30 MSU 59 GMU 63 (first BCS home game in forever) (W)
01/03 W&M 67 GMU 63 (follow up the MSU win by laying egg against W&M) (L)
01/09 UNCW 34 GMU 55 (W)
01/13 JMU 52 GMU 73 (W)
02/30 NU 53 GMU 76 (W)
01/25 vcu 75 GMU 62 (L) (vcu went 3-0 against us this year)
02/03 ODU 66 GMU 56 (ODU swept us this year) (L)
02/10 Hofstra 60 GMU 68 (L)
02/27 Kent State 68 GMU 62 (L)
02/21 GSU 54 GMU 60 (W)

Bonus:

Bucknell 60 GMU 57 (lead most of the game, fell apart and lost it at the end -- BB&T)

Total record: 6-7