Game 21: GMU at Richmond on Monday, February 7 at 7PM. Game 22: GMU (11-10 / 4-4) vs Richmond (16-8 / 7-4) on Wednesday, February 9 at 7PM.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I really enjoyed KE's post game presser yesterday. Lot's of good nuggets, but I like how he mentioned our depth will be better next year and I like his comments about Richmond playing together for like 6 years and our guys have been playing together for less than 6 months. So much up side with this teams/staff.

Feel great for Blake Buchanan. I wonder if Justyn didn't come early if he would have gotten that scholarship for this semester (I'm assuming he's still a walk-on)?

Great to see X do well. I really root for him - seems like a lot of the hatred for him is borderline personal. He's going to have his moments, but all the guys do... his just seem to be under a much bigger microscope. Hoping we start seeing more of these type of performances.

I really like the minutes Otis has been giving us lately. He reminds me a little of a Larranaga type recruit where he's a little undersized for his style of play. I didn't know he had the 3 point shot in his game. He can do a little bit of everything.

Really important win.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I really enjoyed KE's post game presser yesterday. Lot's of good nuggets, but I like how he mentioned our depth will be better next year and I like his comments about Richmond playing together for like 6 years and our guys have been playing together for less than 6 months. So much up side with this teams/staff.

Feel great for Blake Buchanan. I wonder if Justyn didn't come early if he would have gotten that scholarship for this semester (I'm assuming he's still a walk-on)?

Great to see X do well. I really root for him - seems like a lot of the hatred for him is borderline personal. He's going to have his moments, but all the guys do... his just seem to be under a much bigger microscope. Hoping we start seeing more of these type of performances.

I really like the minutes Otis has been giving us lately. He reminds me a little of a Larranaga type recruit where he's a little undersized for his style of play. I didn't know he had the 3 point shot in his game. He can do a little bi of everything.

Really important win.
Speaking just for myself, it’s not at all personal. From everything I’ve heard he’s a great kid — what drives me nuts about X is the inconsistency.

We’ve seen how he’s capable of playing when he’s confident, aggressive and also focused on protecting the ball. I know these guys aren’t robots and will have off nights, but we need him to play much closer to what we saw last night because we literally have no other options at his position.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Xavier can definitely be frustrating at times with his turnovers and wild shots in the lane, but the thing I love about the kid is you can tell he wants to get better and that his teammates respect his work ethic (Oduro mentioned that last night). Rather than wilting after turning the ball over six times against Richmond Monday, Xavier rose to the challenge of playing the same team two nights later and only turning it over twice in 44 minutes.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Those who want KE to calm down please just don’t look at him during games if you are so frightened/offended by him.

He doss not need to calm down. I LOVE his fire and passion and the team reflects his energy. That fire and passion basically made the ref change his out of bounds call late in the game by itself.

If you want to see a moron who can’t coach his way out of a bag, never takes accountability and blames his players for everything, go find wherever the hell Paulsen is and enjoy. We’ll keep your seats warm for you.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Xavier can definitely be frustrating at times with his turnovers and wild shots in the lane, but the thing I love about the kid is you can tell he wants to get better and that his teammates respect his work ethic (Oduro mentioned that last night). Rather than wilting after turning the ball over six times against Richmond Monday, Xavier rose to the challenge of playing the same team two nights later and only turning it over twice in 44 minutes.
I thought it was interesting postgame that KE mentioned X looks at guys like Collins and Gilyard as being so far above him talent-wise, but in reality they’re not.

Seems like the coach believes in X more than he believes in himself … self-confidence can be elusive but it’s so necessary to excel in athletics and really anything.

By George.

Starter
I thought it was interesting postgame that KE mentioned X looks at guys like Collins and Gilyard as being so far above him talent-wise, but in reality they’re not.

Seems like the coach believes in X more than he believes in himself … self-confidence can be elusive but it’s so necessary to excel in athletics and really anything.

Let’s continue to lift him UP

It’s easy to bail on a guy who turns the ball over, it’s hard to stick by him. He’s battled adversity for awhile now. He went from a guy who people labeled as injury prone to like playing 30+ minutes on the regular, often getting more assists than any of our recent PGs. XJ is all we got.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol okay lets get back on topic. I think we can all agree last night was a big win and we’re all happy with the split against Richmond. I, for one, would love to see XJ be a little bit more consistent but when he’s on he’s very good. Last night was an example of a well played game by him. He’s one of our horses and we have to hope that he continues to progress nicely. I’m even more excited for when we can get him some help. Hopefully with KE building his confidence he continues to grow.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol okay lets get back on topic. I think we can all agree last night was a big win and we’re all happy with the split against Richmond. I, for one, would love to see XJ be a little bit more consistent but when he’s on he’s very good. Last night was an example of a well played game by him. He’s one of our horses and we have to hope that he continues to progress nicely. I’m even more excited for when we can get him some help. Hopefully with KE building his confidence he continues to grow.
for the first time ever... he seemed to be super confident in his shooting stroke. When he bricked the step back I almost threw up, but it had to feel weird to need a heat check, so I don't mind him doing it. He outplayed Gilyard last night which should be a huge boost of confidence going up another great A-10 PG in Ace Baldwin on Saturday.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
for the first time ever... he seemed to be super confident in his shooting stroke. When he bricked the step back I almost threw up, but it had to feel weird to need a heat check, so I don't mind him doing it. He outplayed Gilyard last night which should be a huge boost of confidence going up another great A-10 PG in Ace Baldwin on Saturday.
Yeah I agree. If he can shoot as well as he did last night (I’d have to look but I know he hit a few 3s, including one from like 23 feet), that would be a super plus. He also had a good take to the rim that I can recall. Maybe he is finally healthy too, the knee injuries he was battling the last year were no joke.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah I agree. If he can shoot as well as he did last night (I’d have to look but I know he hit a few 3s, including one from like 23 feet), that would be a super plus. He also had a good take to the rim that I can recall. Maybe he is finally healthy too, the knee injuries he was battling the last year were no joke.

He was 3-5 from 3 last night.

He’s up to 7.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 4.8 apg and has scored in double figures the last three games. That’s not bad for our 5th scoring option.

Other than vcu twice, the other teams we play don’t exactly have great defenses (and that includes Davidson). He might be up into the 8.5 range by conference tournament time.

Irish44j

Sixth Man
Hurray. Schwartz has been huge. I can’t remember the last time mason had a guy who just plays at such a high level like that and is such a deep threat. Overall good team effort and glad they got the split.

Big one coming up Saturday. Time to win by 40 against the fingerpaint school of Richmond

(No I do not think mason will win by 40 for the vcu fans that read this)
I don't know.... based on how we handle full court press we may lose by 40 to vcu....
I hope KE is making that a major point of emphasis in practice this week.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know.... based on how we handle full court press we may lose by 40 to vcu....
I hope KE is making that a major point of emphasis in practice this week.
I know it always feels like Mason loses by 40 to vcu, but I’m pretty sure the 2018 loss on senior night was like by 30 and probably the most lopsided. I don’t want to look it up but regardless.

Have to think this has been a point of emphasis even without playing vcu. The last few games Richmond Lasalle SLU all have pressed at some point and Mason has struggled.

The good news in theory is at least with Fairfax refs, if vcu smacks the crap out of our guys we’ll get fouls called.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I know it always feels like Mason loses by 40 to vcu, but I’m pretty sure the 2018 loss on senior night was like by 30 and probably the most lopsided. I don’t want to look it up but regardless.

Have to think this has been a point of emphasis even without playing vcu. The last few games Richmond Lasalle SLU all have pressed at some point and Mason has struggled.

The good news in theory is at least with Fairfax refs, if vcu smacks the crap out of our guys we’ll get fouls called.

It’s weird. I don’t remember the last time Mason beat vcu in Fairfax, but they’ve won 3 of the last 4 in Richmond…