Game 21: GMU at Richmond on Monday, February 7 at 7PM. Game 22: GMU (11-10 / 4-4) vs Richmond (16-8 / 7-4) on Wednesday, February 9 at 7PM.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Can someone tell me what the call was at the end of the game, where the buzzer went off, seemingly ending the game, but, the middle school refs gave Richmond another chance with 0.7 seconds put back on the clock. I thought we had possession of the ball at that moment. They were given the ball. If it had been a foul on us, then they would have been shooting free throws. I guess the only thing that makes sense (in the refs minds) is that they called a tie up and Richmond was next for possession. Is that what happened.
Off ball offensive foul on Cooper, it looked like an incidental collision, when they slowed it down it did look like he may have dropped his shoulder a bit (I personally don't think it was intentional whatsoever), and Burton put on the acting job of his career and flailed through the air like an American Girl doll right in front of the sideline official who called it. I thought that they should have been shooting as well since they were in the double bonus but I'm obviously not up on the rules for offensive fouls in bonus situations.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Can someone tell me what the call was at the end of the game, where the buzzer went off, seemingly ending the game, but, the middle school refs gave Richmond another chance with 0.7 seconds put back on the clock. I thought we had possession of the ball at that moment. They were given the ball. If it had been a foul on us, then they would have been shooting free throws. I guess the only thing that makes sense (in the refs minds) is that they called a tie up and Richmond was next for possession. Is that what happened.
They called Cooper for an “illegal screen” 80 feet from our basket after he inadvertently collided with Burton and knocked him on his a**. It was laughable but not surprising.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
They called Cooper for an “illegal screen” 80 feet from our basket after he inadvertently collided with Burton and knocked him on his a**. It was laughable but not surprising.

Still not as that "block" called on Gaines after which Richmond traveled and then the refs counted the bucket and gave the And 1. Gaines was PARKED that was a charge all day and the TV announcers agreed.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

I was at the game and also was puzzled as to what happened. But I recorded the game from CBSSN and watched it when I got home.

As Gaines took possession of the ball, replays indicated that Cooper (likely inadvertently) moved in the way of a Richmond player and interfered with his pursuit of the ball. It was a legit call...illegal screen and appropriately called an offensive foul. Thus Richmond got no foul shots but was given possession of the ball.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I was at the game and also was puzzled as to what happened. But I recorded the game from CBSSN and watched it when I got home.

As Gaines took possession of the ball, replays indicated that Cooper (likely inadvertently) moved in the way of a Richmond player and interfered with his pursuit of the ball. It was a legit call...illegal screen and appropriately called an offensive foul. Thus Richmond got no foul shots but was given possession of the ball.
Cooper never even saw Burton there until they collided. It was absolutely inadvertent contact, plus an Oscar-worthy flail from Burton. If anything it should’ve been a flop warning.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Cooper never even saw Burton there until they collided. It was absolutely inadvertent contact, plus an Oscar-worthy flail from Burton. If anything it should’ve been a flop warning.
Rose Colored Glasses Jimmy lol. Cooper lowered the boom on him lol come on man

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was pretty grumpy at Cooper when I saw the replay. Thought the shoulder drop looked intentional, thought he had time to get out of the way. In a game full of awful calls I really didn't think that was one of them. Thank God this controversy doesn't matter.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

What were they saying in the beginning of the broadcast about Effective Fg%??? I heard the analytics guy say the NBA prefers some other metric. Seemed like they were doggin on KE's preferred metrics

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Cooper is too thick to just jack threes. He should be scoring atleast 14 and getting to the line more.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What were they saying in the beginning of the broadcast about Effective Fg%??? I heard the analytics guy say the NBA prefers some other metric. Seemed like they were doggin on KE's preferred metrics

I can’t remember which presser he did, but English went over his reasoning behind valuing effective field goal percentage in college and there was a lineage.

Regardless, his philosophy is basically two-fold “we like 3s, but we love layups.” And 2 if “you’re open shoot it, if someone else is open pass it to them.”

He also said he only wants Schwartz and Oduro to take mid-range jumpers.

And because of all this,our shot selection charts look like an NBA team’s. So however we get there, we get there.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I thought they misrepresented TS% slightly, but Hollinger is a demigod of basketball analysis so it's much more likely that I'm the asshole.

TS% is a measure of shooting effectiveness that incorporates FT%. The only difference between TS% and effective FG% is that TS% bakes in FTs and eFG does not. TS% is designed to be a pure metric to measure how well someone shoots, while eFG weights 2s and 3s proportionally, which makes it a much more useful efficiency metric than raw FG%.

Last night Hollinger said that TS% is better because it bakes in how often you get to the line, which to my knowledge is only sort of correct (more FTs = more weight in the metric), and then said that Mason is a better eFG% team but since we don't get to the line that much we're a worse TS% team. That part is wrong. According to college-basketball-reference were sitting at 57.1% TS and 54.9% eFG.

If Hollinger was looking to explain the delta between our eFG (24th in the country) and overall offensive efficiency (85th), he should have mentioned the really low offensive rebound rate and our low FT/FGA rate. He sort of got there but in a roundabout way that was kind of confusing and partially wrong.

I loved the broadcast overall just thought this part was noteworthy.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I was pretty grumpy at Cooper when I saw the replay. Thought the shoulder drop looked intentional, thought he had time to get out of the way. In a game full of awful calls I really didn't think that was one of them. Thank God this controversy doesn't matter.
Personally thought Cooper was more trying to avoid colliding with Gaines by turning his body and it just so happened that Burton was right behind Gaines. Looked to me the shoulder drop was to make himself small and get out the way of Gaines.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Personally thought Cooper was more trying to avoid colliding with Gaines by turning his body and it just so happened that Burton was right behind Gaines. Looked to me the shoulder drop was to make himself small and get out the way of Gaines.
Agreed, I’ve watched the play several times and remain convinced Cooper didn’t know Burton was there … makes no sense to think he would risk setting an illegal screen with a 3-point lead and so little time left.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed, I’ve watched the play several times and remain convinced Cooper didn’t know Burton was there … makes no sense to think he would risk setting an illegal screen with a 3-point lead and so little time left.
Yeah I thought it was hard luck. He just sorta moved and coincidentally lowered the shoulder at the wrong moment. Weird play but fortunately it didn’t matter.

Irish44j

Sixth Man
Rose Colored Glasses Jimmy lol. Cooper lowered the boom on him lol come on man
I was pretty angry about a lot of the calls in that game, but I have to agree, looks like Cooper lowered the shoulder, probably thinking he could take a bit of a shot with the game over.....except it wasn't quite over.

in short, looked like a legit call to me, though surprised to see them call it with 0.7 left...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The horrible ref we had in the Richmond game Wednesday night is doing the UConn/Xavier game right now on FS1. I thought for sure he was a CAA ref based on how bad he was.