Game 21: GMU at Richmond on Monday, February 7 at 7PM. Game 22: GMU (11-10 / 4-4) vs Richmond (16-8 / 7-4) on Wednesday, February 9 at 7PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Combining both games into one thread since we play them back to back. The million dollar question is will Oduro be cleared to play? If not, we have ZERO chance.

Richmond is currently 15 - 8 on the season and 6 - 4 in A10 play. They are 8 - 3 at home, 6 - 2 away, and 1 - 3 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 8-6 against the Spiders as a member of the A10.

Wins: NC Central, Georgia St., Hofstra, Wofford, Northern Iowa, Toledo, NC State, ODU, Bucknell, UMass, Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure
Losses: Utah St., Drake, Maryland, Miss St., St. Joe’s, St. Louis, Davidson, vcu

Schedule: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://richmondspiders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://richmondspiders.com/documents/2021/11/12/Combined_Team_Stats.pdf

Richmond is led by 6’7” Tyler Burton (17.0 ppg & 7.3 reb), 6’10” Grant Golden (14.7 ppg & 6.4 reb), and 5’9” Jacob Gilyard (12.3 ppg & 6.1 assists). 6’7” Nathan Cayo (8.6 ppg) has started all 23 games for the Spiders. 6’4” Nick Sherod (6.9 ppg), 6’0” Isaiah Wilson (3.2 ppg), and 6’5” Andre Gustavson (4.3 ppg) have all served as the fifth starter this year. 6’9” Matt Grace (3.8 ppg) averages double figure minutes off the bench.

Richmond averages 73.4 points per game while giving up 69.2. The Spiders shoot 44.9% from the floor and 33.7% from 3. Opponents are shooting 44.7% from the field and 35.3% from 3. The Spiders shoot 71.1% from the free throw line. The Spiders are currently out being rebounded by their opponents to the tune of 3.0 boards per game.

The Monday road game game is on ESPN+ and MASN.
The Wednesday home game is on CBS Sports Network.

My prediction: Is it just me or does it seem like Golden, Gilyard, et. al have been around for 50 years? I can hear the intros now. “Ladies and Gentlemen your starting center, 59 year old Grant Golden! His wife, kids, and grandkids are in attendance tonight!” They really should be called the AARP Richmond Spiders. All joking aside, Richmond is a good and experienced club. Golden is in his 6th season. Gilyard, Sherrod, and Cayo their 5th. They have won 6 of their last 8 with a two point loss against vcu and a 3 point loss to Davidson. 2-0 would be Christmas in February and 0-2 would be Hell. We need at least one of these!

Discuss.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Without Oduro we are 0-2 on the year. We lost both games by a combined 6 points. If Oduro played those two games we are likely 6-1 in conference play and the talk of the A-10.

Just need a couple of more pieces and we have something special.

And on the “look on the bright side” view of things, a slow burn to success may be exactly what we need to prevent another Rick Barnes situation with KE.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know there are several degrees of concussions, the worst which where the player cant travel or even be around bright lights or loud noises. Josh was animated on the bench, so my hope is that’s a sign his symptoms were minor and that sitting out was more of a precaution.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Have to find a way to split the next two with Richmond. It’s going to be really tough if we don’t have Oduro and/or Polite for both games.

Fwiw Oduro looked engaged and alert yesterday much like @gmutom said. So hopefully he can give it a go tomorrow.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know there are several degrees of concussions, the worst which where the player cant travel or even be around bright lights or loud noises. Josh was animated on the bench, so my hope is that’s a sign his symptoms were minor and that sitting out was more of a precaution.
Probably another one of those “if the world was coming to an end he could have played” games. Honestly we should have been able to beat GW and LaSalle without him, but oh well … guarantee this will be the last time during his Mason tenure that Kim doesn’t have enough talent to withstand a couple injuries/absences.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Probably another one of those “if the world was coming to an end he could have played” games. Honestly we should have been able to beat GW and LaSalle without him, but oh well … guarantee this will be the last time during his Mason tenure that Kim doesn’t have enough talent to withstand a couple injuries/absences.
Sorry, but that's just not the way concussion protocol works.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Players have faked their way through the protocol before and will do so again. If Josh’s symptoms were severe, Mason wouldn’t have let him travel — I obviously support erring on the side of player safety (duh) but a less ethical coach may have figured out a way to get him on the court.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Concussion protocol when a serious situation does not allow players to sit on the bench during games. But it happened with Umass Fernandes against us and he suited up the next game and I expect Oduro to as well. Fernandes did not sit on the bench the previous 2 games he missed while having a concussion.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Players have faked their way through the protocol before and will do so again. If Josh’s symptoms were severe, Mason wouldn’t have let him travel — I obviously support erring on the side of player safety (duh) but a less ethical coach may have figured out a way to get him on the court.
Concussion protocol when a serious situation does not allow players to sit on the bench during games. But it happened with Umass Fernandes against us and he suited up the next game and I expect Oduro to as well. Fernandes did not sit on the bench the previous 2 games he missed while having a concussion.
Didn't say it was serious or severe. Just that you can't speed up the protocol. It's a matter of having enough time to get through the protocol once a player has entered it. I'm sure Josh is fine and would've played if it was up to him or the coaching staff. But it's not.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
reading the protocol, unless I am seeing something weird it takes a maximum of 2 days to get Josh back out there... why are we talking about "rushing the protocol" to begin with if 2 days is plenty of time for him to come out. I highly doubt he would have travelled to Philly/been on the bench yelling and cheering all game if he hit any of the metrics in your PDF

FreeGunston12

All-American
reading the protocol, unless I am seeing something weird it takes a maximum of 2 days to get Josh back out there... why are we talking about "rushing the protocol" to begin with if 2 days is plenty of time for him to come out. I highly doubt he would have travelled to Philly/been on the bench yelling and cheering all game if he hit any of the metrics in your PDF
Not sure where you are getting 2 days from. But it doesn't matter, you and Jim are wrong. Sorry.

Hopefully Josh entered the protocol immediately after the SLU game. Otherwise he will be out again. And that's even pushing it and guessing what the medical team is willing to do to accelerate things as much as they are able to.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Not sure where you are getting 2 days from. But it doesn't matter, you and Jim are wrong. Sorry.

Hopefully Josh entered the protocol immediately after the SLU game. Otherwise he will be out again. And that's even pushing it and guessing what the medical team is willing to do to accelerate things as much as they are able to.
Basically what I'm trying to say is . . .

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He has to complete 6 steps (4 of them occur at or around the same time) for return to competition considering the lack of severity of the concussion. (I think we can agree or at least acknowledge a serious concussion would not have left him at the game right?) or maybe you can’t because unless you thought of it, it generally is wrong.

Each of the 3 main steps for re entry can occur less than 24 hour time period. So this is where I got 2 days (that could be wrong). It’s been at least 2 days as of right now. I’m not sure why he would be unavailable for Richmond but go off queen.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think 2 days is very optimistic. Most of the sites I see talk about 7-10 days.

Someone who is going through concussion protocol doesn’t necessarily mean they had a concussion. It is a safety protocol to see if they had a concussion in the first place and then if determined they did, provides guidelines to determine how severe the concussion was and how long said player is to remain out of competition.

I personally don’t see the big deal. I’ve had plenty of concussions and the unicorn next door has no problem with me sharing his skittles.

Last edited:

FreeGunston12

All-American
He has to complete 6 steps (4 of them occur at or around the same time) for return to competition considering the lack of severity of the concussion. (I think we can agree or at least acknowledge a serious concussion would not have left him at the game right?) or maybe you can’t because unless you thought of it, it generally is wrong.

Each of the 3 main steps for re entry can occur less than 24 hour time period. So this is where I got 2 days (that could be wrong). It’s been at least 2 days as of right now. I’m not sure why he would be unavailable for Richmond but go off queen.
Each of the steps you are referring to are supposed to take ~24 hours. Also, this is not because "I thought of it". It is because I have some idea what I am talking about as a former athletic trainer. What are your credentials in this area?

The wiggle room isn't provided so you can smush all the steps together. It's basically for situations like if your team practices (or you are available) at 8PM one day and 4PM the next, you can still make progress in the protocol.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"• Josh Oduro, the A-10's leading scorer (17.7 ppg), missed Saturday's game (concussion protocol). Mason is 4-1 in A-10 games with Oduro this season and 0-2 without. Oduro's interior presence was missed in those two contests. In the five with the Preseason All-A-10 selection, Mason gave up just 68.0 points/game and allowed opponents to shoot just 42.2 percent from 2. In the two without Oduro, Mason gave up 80.0 points/game and allowed opponents to shoot 61.9 percent from inside the arc.

• In A-10 contests, Mason leads the league in 3pt FG percentage (.415) and is second in overall FG percentage (.485).

• Mason is ranked 102nd in the latest NCAA NET rankings. The Patriots also are #106 in KenPom, marking the team's highest February ranking since 2012.

HISTORY vs. RICHMOND

Monday's game marks the 66th all-time meeting between George Mason and Richmond in men's basketball (Mason trails 25-40). The Patriots are 15-13 vs. the Spiders in Fairfax and 8-20 in games played in Richmond (2-7 on neutral courts). Mason is 7-5 over the past 12 meetings with Richmond, although the Spiders have won five of the past six, including a 77-57 win in Fairfax on January 9 last season."

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"• Josh Oduro, the A-10's leading scorer (17.7 ppg), missed Saturday's game (concussion protocol). Mason is 4-1 in A-10 games with Oduro this season and 0-2 without. Oduro's interior presence was missed in those two contests. In the five with the Preseason All-A-10 selection, Mason gave up just 68.0 points/game and allowed opponents to shoot just 42.2 percent from 2. In the two without Oduro, Mason gave up 80.0 points/game and allowed opponents to shoot 61.9 percent from inside the arc.

• In A-10 contests, Mason leads the league in 3pt FG percentage (.415) and is second in overall FG percentage (.485).

• Mason is ranked 102nd in the latest NCAA NET rankings. The Patriots also are #106 in KenPom, marking the team's highest February ranking since 2012.

HISTORY vs. RICHMOND

Monday's game marks the 66th all-time meeting between George Mason and Richmond in men's basketball (Mason trails 25-40). The Patriots are 15-13 vs. the Spiders in Fairfax and 8-20 in games played in Richmond (2-7 on neutral courts). Mason is 7-5 over the past 12 meetings with Richmond, although the Spiders have won five of the past six, including a 77-57 win in Fairfax on January 9 last season.?
Wow - those with and without Oduro stats are very telling...

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Each of the steps you are referring to are supposed to take ~24 hours. Also, this is not because "I thought of it". It is because I have some idea what I am talking about as a former athletic trainer. What are your credentials in this area?

The wiggle room isn't provided so you can smush all the steps together. It's basically for situations like if your team practices (or you are available) at 8PM one day and 4PM the next, you can still make progress in the protocol.
I stayed at Holiday Inn and I also don’t have dementia. If Oduro doesn’t play vs Richmond your’re right. If he does then we can both be wrong. It should be over 100 hours if it’s ~24 hours for each do the 6 steps. Is my math good on that one sir? I guess I’m just reading the concussion protocol differently

Last edited: