Game 14: AT Virginia Commonwealth University, Saturday, Jan 2nd, 5 PM, CBS Sports Network

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I saw one ranking based on mid career salary exceeding projected salary where W&L was the #1 school in the country. Wall Street loves their graduates. It is the most selective school in Virginia.
Interesting , I did not know that. You learn something new every day.

Broads, Buicks, and Buckley

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I read this. For a school that claims we aren't even in their league we sure are on their mind a lot.

Haha.....if you want a laugh, read the conference prediction thread. Some of their fans must not be watching the same games that I have (saw them on TV enough times to get an idea of how they are this season).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It may not show on the court Saturday or even this season -- just being honest, beating a team of their quality with five freshmen in the rotation is a tall order -- but we started closing the gap between our program and vcu's the second the ink dried on Dave Paulsen's contract.

His brand of skilled, tough and disciplined basketball will eventually be the ideal antidote to vcu's squadron of gangly athletes.

The best part is that none of their cluelessly myopic fans will see it coming ... and thanks to Shaka, there are many more of them than the last time we hired a coach capable of standing toe-to-toe with their team.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
If we can stop either Melvin or Billbury we have a chance. Outside those 2 guys the rest of them are as inconsistent as our freshmen.

Agreed, I watched several of their games. Melvin can tee off from 3, but this is not the vcu pressure team of years past, and even then, Moore handled the press fine.

I would not be surprised to the final score within 10 points.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed, I watched several of their games. Melvin can tee off from 3, but this is not the vcu pressure team of years past, and even then, Moore handled the press fine.

I would not be surprised to the final score within 10 points.

The biggest question for me is whether our young guards can mentally withstand the initial onslaught that vcu will throw at them Saturday.

First conference game, rivalry game, you know the crowd is gonna be jacked up right from the jump.

Our guys have not handled adversity well on the road in much less hostile environments, such as Towson, JMU and Manhattan.

They have to keep their composure and stay aggressive even if things are going badly; otherwise, it's going to be ugly.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If a hippie art student cried in Richmond, does
It make it a sound?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The biggest question for me is whether our young guards can mentally withstand the initial onslaught that vcu will throw at them Saturday.

First conference game, rivalry game, you know the crowd is gonna be jacked up right from the jump.

Our guys have not handled adversity well on the road in much less hostile environments, such as Towson, JMU and Manhattan.

They have to keep their composure and stay aggressive even if things are going badly; otherwise, it's going to be ugly.
It will be a test agreed, but this is not the same vcu teams we have seen in the past. Odds are we will lose but they are not as strong as in previous years . Would love a victory at the StU and a chance to piss on their home floor.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

They did a pretty good job handling OSU and Ole Miss's pressure when it came, but a, that was a neutral court and, b, they had Marko in the middle of the floor.

But I liked how they spread the floor, used triangles, and passed out of pressure against those two teams.

The question is, can Jenkins replace Marko in the middle of those triangles? He's a little turnover prone and that's scary.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
They did a pretty good job handling OSU and Ole Miss's pressure when it came, but a, that was a neutral court and, b, they had Marko in the middle of the floor.

But I liked how they spread the floor, used triangles, and passed out of pressure against those two teams.

The question is, can Jenkins replace Marko in the middle of those triangles? He's a little turnover prone and that's scary.

I'm less concerned about their full-court pressure -- both because they're using it less and because we play with two PGs most of the game -- and more interested to see if we can score against them in the half court offense.

They apply a ton of ball pressure and overplay the wings, so I wouldn't be surprised if DP has prepared to use back door cuts against them.

Speaking of preparation, not having a game in the past 10 days means our guys won't be better prepared for any A10 game than this one. Maybe the layoff helps us in the end.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Speaking of preparation, not having a game in the past 10 days means our guys won't be better prepared for any A10 game than this one. Maybe the layoff helps us in the end.

I'm more worried that the rust will hinder us more than the preparation will help us, but I agree that extra practice time should be a positive. It's not ideal to have such a big huge gap between our last OOC game and first conference game, but it will definitely help guys nursing injuries (Thompson. Royal) and also give a breather to the freshmen who aren't used to the hectic off-the court pace of college ball.