Game 14: AT Virginia Commonwealth University, Saturday, Jan 2nd, 5 PM, CBS Sports Network

Bison137

Walk-On
To me, his strengths don't comport with Paulsen's half court offense. If he's going to score, it's going to be off of putbacks or being able to run the floor in the open court and trailing on fast breaks (unfortunately, something that's very rare).

In the meantime, I think he just needs to learn how to post up, absorb a double team and pass out of it. And if the double doesn't come? Well, lucky day.

During his time at Bucknell, DP's teams very rarely used the pick-and-roll. When using ball screens, a pick-and-pop was much more common.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I dont know if anybody knows, but Shevon has been having major problems with his foot. Its obvious in his lack of mobility! So lets give the guy a break, not once has he used that as an excuse.

But then doesn't that beg the question if a player can't go all out why is an unhealthy player on the court?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
But then doesn't that beg the question if a player can't go all out why is an unhealthy player on the court?
Maybe that is why we have seen Shevon benched for long periods of time, sometimes even when he was performing decently well? I seem to remember some complaints here about his minutes just a few weeks ago.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe that is why we have seen Shevon benched for long periods of time, sometimes even when he was performing decently well? I seem to remember some complaints here about his minutes just a few weeks ago.

If he can't roll to the basket, hold on to the ball, or take a little contact b/c of his foot, then he shouldn't be in the game. End of story.

Bricker

Starter
If he can't roll to the basket, hold on to the ball, or take a little contact b/c of his foot, then he shouldn't be in the game. End of story.

I don't think we're at the point where we can be too picky about who's in the game when it comes to our front court. Are we gonna send an email to all the 6'7" or taller students and see who's free twice a week?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Even if Thompson isn't healthy (which he isn't) or the most graceful, the team needs to figure out a way to play to his strengths. Occasionally this year, we've seen him pass out of a double team to guards who swing it around and make a shot. Somehow they have to put him in a position where that can happen more often than not (assuming other variables such as guards being open, and being able to make a shot). He isn't the best passer either (for various reasons already covered) IMO which makes it more complicated.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we're at the point where we can be too picky about who's in the game when it comes to our front court.

And as frustrating as Shevon's production has been on offense (for whatever reasons), let's not forget he also had 14 rebounds against vcu. I'd hate to think about how many points we would have given up had his presence not been felt on the defensive end.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I just watched the game again on DVR this morning, and in retrospect I feel even better about it than I did Saturday evening.

vcu basically hit us with one big run in each half. That's it. That's what they do.

We were down 2 in the first half, then they went on a double-digit run to break it open.

Then when we got back within 6 with 14 minutes left in the game, they went zone and we couldn't score against it. They buried us with another big burst.

I'm honestly not too concerned about the final score because DP played it smart and had Tate, Dixon and even Rudy in there over the final 5 minutes or so. Once it became obvious we weren't going to win, it became about saving guys' legs for St. Bonaventure. vcu piled up a bunch of points in garbage time when we couldn't grab a rebound and kept fouling them.

To have controlled the tempo and stayed as close as we did for long stretches with 4 freshmen playing meaningful minutes is pretty damn remarkable when you think about it -- especially when you consider we got basically nothing from Shevon and Jalen offensively.

By the time these freshmen are juniors, vcu is not going to want to see us. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if we beat them at home this season if Marko is back to help facilitate the offense.

Our arrow is definitely pointing up.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I can see Paulsen in the (hopefully) not too distant future saying something like this:

“I think you have to have a bigger perspective and think about the habits that we’ve tried to build since we all got here,” ........ “I don’t think you can beat a Hall of Fame coach, a team good enough to win a national championship, just on 48 hours of preparation. I think it has to be the habits that you’ve tried to establish from the beginning.

“When you’ve been through what we’ve been through since we’ve been here, I think when you show up as David every day against Goliath, I think you just have a demeanor or a spirit about you, just, ‘Well, we have to fight again.’ ”

----Buzz Williams after knocking off UVa

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...1e5-a842-0feb51d1d124_story.html?tid=sm_tw_ps

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don't know if this is the year that Virginia Tech turns it around, but Buzz has been bringing in big time talent and it may take 3 or 4 years before Tech is knocking on the NCAA tourney door. And Buzz is one of the best coaches in the country. Last year was ugly for the Hokies.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
vcu may have just lost their coach tonight.

Pitt has just offered Kevin Stallings who was on a short leash at Vanderbilt already and is expected to accept. If he goes, look for Vandy to go after Will Wade. Not only does he have experience recruiting the area from his time at Chattanooga, but he's also a graduate of Franklin Road Academy in Nashville, so it's an opportunity for him to go back home.

KAOriginal

All-American
Doubt it, bet he just converts Vandys interest into a payday at vcu.

Maybe one day we will have that kind of coaching headache.