Fire Dave Paulsen / Hire Tony Skinn

OP
tblack33

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Well I guess the only real question now is do they extend him or not? Gonna be a long 12 months.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He accidently knocked over a cup of mountain dew and I think I heard him say "My Bad."...I could be wrong though.
Incorrect. Actual quotes from Paulsen about the incident:

• "All week we practiced where the cup would be and it went great every time."
  • "I mean its called MOUNTAIN Dew. Do you see any mountains in Fairfax? Waterboy needs to tighten up his game ... like we practiced."
  • "It's okay. My bitch, Brad Edwards will clean it up anyway"
  • "COVID"

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I refuse to post this on a thread honoring individual achievements, but in reading the thread about Miller, Kolek, and AJ, all I'm thinking is, "I'm tired of individual achievements." Most improved players who don't get to play on a mid-March Saturday, seniors who have a very down year after a great junior campaign, going from pre-season all-A10 to All-defensive team and a block record, when scoring some buckets may have actually helped the team win, and a ROY who, all I can think is, "If he's smart, he'll transfer."

I'm done with it. From NCAA and NIT appearances every few years, to no meaningful post season in a decade... Paulsen can take the individual achievements and shove them up his a**.

The players earned these accolades and I take nothing away from them. I blame the coaches for the senior slumps and the roster management. The players have done their job... The coach should have done something with it by now.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://watchstadium.com/patriot-le...k-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-07-18-2019/:

"This is how polling in the Patriot League shook out among coaches who voted, with one being the best and 10 being the worst:

1. BUCKNELL (71) – The Bison have gone to the NCAA tournament eight times, and also have a first-round upset over Kansas in 2005. Pat Flannery had success, going twice in 2005 and ’06, Dave Paulen went twice in 2011 and ’13 and current coach Nathan Davis went twice in 2017 and ’18. Bucknell ranks first in five of the eight categories.

Where they win: “History and finances. They support it, and they consistently win.” – Patriot League head coach

The knock: “There’s nothing in Lewisburg … except for a prison.” – Patriot League assistant"

https://watchstadium.com/atlantic-1...k-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-17-2018/

"This is how polling in the A-10 shook out among coaches who voted, with one being the best and 14 being the worst:

Conference-Chain-A-10.jpg

10. George Mason (56) – There was the improbable Final Four appearance in 2006, but just five other NCAA tourney appearances. It made the move from the CAA to the A-10 in 2014, but Mason ranks in the bottom half of the league in just about everything except recruiting base.

Where they win: Terrific location, can sell the fact they went to the Final Four and have a passionate fan base.

The knock: While it has a terrific recruiting base, there are so many other D-1 schools in the area, which makes it difficult to get many of the local kids they target."

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
https://watchstadium.com/patriot-le...k-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-07-18-2019/:

"This is how polling in the Patriot League shook out among coaches who voted, with one being the best and 10 being the worst:

1. BUCKNELL (71) – The Bison have gone to the NCAA tournament eight times, and also have a first-round upset over Kansas in 2005. Pat Flannery had success, going twice in 2005 and ’06, Dave Paulen went twice in 2011 and ’13 and current coach Nathan Davis went twice in 2017 and ’18. Bucknell ranks first in five of the eight categories.

Where they win: “History and finances. They support it, and they consistently win.” – Patriot League head coach

The knock: “There’s nothing in Lewisburg … except for a prison.” – Patriot League assistant"

https://watchstadium.com/atlantic-1...k-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-17-2018/

"This is how polling in the A-10 shook out among coaches who voted, with one being the best and 14 being the worst:

Conference-Chain-A-10.jpg

10. George Mason (56) – There was the improbable Final Four appearance in 2006, but just five other NCAA tourney appearances. It made the move from the CAA to the A-10 in 2014, but Mason ranks in the bottom half of the league in just about everything except recruiting base.

Where they win: Terrific location, can sell the fact they went to the Final Four and have a passionate fan base.

The knock: While it has a terrific recruiting base, there are so many other D-1 schools in the area, which makes it difficult to get many of the local kids they target."
So, UMASS is easier to get into than vcu?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
That survey was in 2018, which was pre-practice facility, locker rooms, and video board, correct? I'd be curious to see how those rankings have updated with all the new additions.

I hestitated in posting the A10 coaches' survey for this reason. However, other schools have also made upgrades to their facilities including Duquesne's beautiful new arena.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, UMASS is easier to get into than vcu?

That surprised me too. Interesting to see Mason as one of the more academic schools in the A10.

Also no way Davidson’s history and tradition is better than vcu’s either unless the coaches think 1 Steph Curry > everything vcu has done.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That survey was in 2018, which was pre-practice facility, locker rooms, and video board, correct? I'd be curious to see how those rankings have updated with all the new additions.

It probably does move the needle a little bit to like 8th or 9th place. Also, Duquense has a new arena so that would have to be adjusted although they barely played it in. Probably other stuff too for other programs.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That surprised me too. Interesting to see Mason as one of the more academic schools in the A10.

Also no way Davidson’s history and tradition is better than vcu’s either unless the coaches think 1 Steph Curry > everything vcu has done.

Steph Curry and an Elite 8 run....I'd say they are still capitalizing on both. We arent for sure. vcpoo is also, but they can't call an alum like Curry and say we need a few million bucks right quick. I'd give the edge to Davidson.

KAOriginal

All-American

As a child of the Carolinas....Davidson was just as respected in the 60 and 70s as the other ACC schools before college hoops began their separation to "elite" conferences and programs. They have won a fair amount of conference titles, etc thru the years. Lefty Dreisell, Terry Holland, Larry Brown, Rick Barnes and even our ol Cuban roamed those halls at one point or another.

So while they may not have that ESPN flash recognition of recency like a vcu, and had some down periods in the 80s, they have always had a great program in terms of school support, traditions, coaching trees, etc.

Unlike a certain school we are all here talking about.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Steph Curry and an Elite 8 run....I'd say they are still capitalizing on both. We arent for sure. vcpoo is also, but they can't call an alum like Curry and say we need a few million bucks right quick. I'd give the edge to Davidson.

If professional players gave that much back to the program, our baseball team would have an outfield wall...

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hestitated in posting the A10 coaches' survey for this reason. However, other schools have also made upgrades to their facilities including Duquesne's beautiful new arena.

Indeed. I think a lot has probably changed - St Joe's ability to sell pros was almost entirely due to Martelli. Gotta think vcu and Dayton are now 1 & 2 in that category. vcu being behind Davidson and UMass in history/tradition is really odd to me - UMass has Dr J and the Camby final four, but only one NCAA appearance in the new century. Seems to me that recruits care a whole lot more about who's been to the dance recently than who used to be good before they were born.

It's an interesting way of framing the conversation but there are some notable flaws in it too - GW being higher than Mason for recruiting base, as well as St Joe's being higher than La Salle, when they're essentially in the same spot for recruiting purposes is kinda funny.

Last edited:

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If professional players gave that much back to the program, our baseball team would have an outfield wall...

Need a player to donate that makes some bucks in the pros. Curtis Granderson paid for a new stadium at UIC. UIC! I frequently drive by the construction in progress at Binghamton University. $60 million by an anonymous donor. Crazy. Then I see Mason's field in a much wealthier area than upstate NY and it seems odd.

KAOriginal

All-American
Indeed. I think a lot has probably changed - St Joe's ability to sell pros was almost entirely due to Martelli. Gotta think vcu and Dayton are now 1 & 2 in that category. vcu being behind Davidson and UMass in history/tradition is really odd to me - UMass has Dr J and the Camby final four, but only one NCAA appearance in the new century. Seems to me that recruits care a whole lot more about who's been to the dance recently than who used to be good before they were born.

It's an interesting way of framing the conversation but there are some notable flaws in it too - GW being higher than Mason for recruiting base, as well as St Joe's being higher than La Salle, when they're essentially in the same spot for recruiting purposes is kinda funny.

Because its a coaches poll.....they aren't looking at it as a potential player or fan. They have a professional bias which includes a broader scope of a programs history, recognition of history, and place in the job ranks, etc.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Dave’s definitely coming back
I still think it’s reasonable to let the women finish out their season before informing Paulsen of his fait.

As horrible as their season was, you don’t want to add any additional distractions.

I know I’m grasping, but what else can I do.