Fire Dave Paulsen / Hire Tony Skinn

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Holding out a glimmer of hope tomorrow, but more likely I’ll have disappointment.

Either way we’ll know where we stand with this administration. At this point I’m resigned to the likelihood they’ll do the wrong thing but willing to be pleasantly surprised.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Either way we’ll know where we stand with this administration. At this point I’m resigned to the likelihood they’ll do the wrong thing but willing to be pleasantly surprised.

might have to pen one last letter to dr Washington...that’ll probably be promptly ignored haha

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Without knowing how next season will play out, which is a better job going into 21-22: Mason or UMass?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Without knowing how next season will play out, which is a better job going into 21-22: Mason or UMass?

I put them on the same level with Mason slightly ahead for better potential for more immediate success (better current roster, better current fan support, better recruiting area). The one thing Mason has going for it is there's no football to compete with for resources. The big question mark is how much is President Washington willing to commit to basketball long-term?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I put them on the same level with Mason slightly ahead for better potential for more immediate success (better current roster, better current fan support, better recruiting area). The one thing Mason has going for it is there's no football to compete with for resources. The big question mark is how much is President Washington willing to commit to basketball long-term?

I would actually put Umass slightly ahead as it appears they spend a little more, they built out a nicer basketball facility and probably have some more private money/support from years of tradition versus Mason. Its not that far from one another though, but I would put Umass slightly ahead.

As far as Dr. Washington committing to basketball, time will only tell on that one. Obviously it looks like they/he need more time to evaluate the product at this point even though the writing is on the wall and the program will be headed for another 8-11th place finish.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would actually put Umass slightly ahead as it appears they spend a little more, they built out a nicer basketball facility and probably have some more private money/support from years of tradition versus Mason. Its not that far from one another though, but I would put Umass slightly ahead.

As far as Dr. Washington committing to basketball, time will only tell on that one. Obviously it looks like they/he need more time to evaluate the product at this point even though the writing is on the wall and the program will be headed for another 8-11th place finish.

2019 numbers has UMass with a lower basketball budget than us, although there's only about 200k that separates our two budgets. Their fan support has also cratered and they were averaging fewer than 4,000 fans per game over the last 4 years, under 3,000 for the last 2 (2021 not included). The dip in support from the university pretty much coincided with football becoming bowl eligible. It's been a slow downhill slide from there (with 2014 being a high watermark).

As for Washington, I wasn't necessarily thinking of just Paulsen's fate, but the broader infrastructure: Phase II -- and maybe being even more ambitious with it than the original plan, what to do about EBA, bigger recruiting budget, etc. A signal from President Washington that long-term support for basketball is going to be a priority would definitely increase the job ranking here. I can't imagine basketball was really on his mind this first year with having to manage COVID.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Washington saw a NCAA team every year of his undergrad at NC State. He should know what a good athletic program can do for a university and the student support/excitement that comes with it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
2019 numbers has UMass with a lower basketball budget than us, although there's only about 200k that separates our two budgets. Their fan support has also cratered and they were averaging fewer than 4,000 fans per game over the last 4 years, under 3,000 for the last 2 (2021 not included). The dip in support from the university pretty much coincided with football becoming bowl eligible. It's been a slow downhill slide from there (with 2014 being a high watermark).

As for Washington, I wasn't necessarily thinking of just Paulsen's fate, but the broader infrastructure: Phase II -- and maybe being even more ambitious with it than the original plan, what to do about EBA, bigger recruiting budget, etc. A signal from President Washington that long-term support for basketball is going to be a priority would definitely increase the job ranking here. I can't imagine basketball was really on his mind this first year with having to manage COVID.

Understand. I don't know specifics at this point, but from what I have heard, Dr W loves basketball, is aware of how much Mason pays for basketball compared to other schools, and wants wins.

What that means? TBD.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep ...vs us.

Naw, going to be GW, UMass, La Salle, and Fordham (most likely). If Daly comes back, I think St. Joes misses out on the PIG. I got Mason somewhere in the 7-9 range (that could change if we see defections along the likely starter ranks).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Assuming most seniors don’t return, the
A-10 has a chance to be legit poo poo next season.

Bona and vcu could both be top-25 caliber, SLU and Davidson should be decent, but after that is a whole bunch of meh.

Wouldn’t it be ironic in the worst possible way if Dave gets his first double bye in a lame-duck year and has to be extended just because our league is utter garbage?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Assuming most seniors don’t return, the
A-10 has a chance to be legit poo poo next season.

Bona and vcu could both be top-25 caliber, SLU and Davidson should be decent, but after that is a whole bunch of meh.

Wouldn’t it be ironic in the worst possible way if Dave gets his first double bye in a lame-duck year and has to be extended just because our league is utter garbage?
That is the ole Matt Brady scenario that I posted about earlier. I am getting this uneasy feeling that is where we are headed.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That is the ole Matt Brady scenario that I posted about earlier. I am getting this uneasy feeling that is where we are headed.

One of many reasons Mason must let him go now. You cannot wait and risk getting trapped into a longer relationship with a coach who is clearly not the guy.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Would that be the worst thing? I'm 99.9% sure at this point we are stuck with him. If he gets us an A10 championship out of next year's squad it would at least give me something to root for.

I guess the Matt Brady scenario assumes we have another meddling season then go hog wild in the A10 tournament...that's a hell of a lot harder to do in the A10 than in the CAA.

For the record I absolutely think Paulsen should get the boot and do not want this to happen.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I can’t imagine pumping much, if any, energy into this program anymore. I doubt I’ll even renew my ESPN + subscription next year.

Last edited:

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I can't imagine NOT wanting to see an NCAA appearance. I think it's time to move on from Paulsen too but we don't have to be dopes about it.

Miller, Oduro, and Kolek as a top 3... could do (and have done) a lot worse. Can't wait to overhype the fellas again next year.