Fire Dave Paulsen / Hire Tony Skinn

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The fact that in most years that the minimum is 2-3 years and at its best years its 4-6 teams makes it a very good league. I'm happy Mason is part of it, but they also have to figure out how they can be part of the 2-6 teams that could make the tournament, at least periodically.

By George.

Starter
I am hoping that between 830-9am tomorrow my phone goes crazy with friends texting me...we’ll see.

Just so you all aren’t sitting around waiting for news all Monday long, DP will not be fired tmrw and you should expect he’ll probably get a 1 year extension with a low buyout. I understand this isn’t the news many of you want and you don’t have to believe me. I’ve been pretty consistent on this topic though and if I’m wrong, you can kick me off this site.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just so you all aren’t sitting around waiting for news all Monday long, DP will not be fired tmrw and you should expect he’ll probably get a 1 year extension with a low buyout. I understand this isn’t the news many of you want and you don’t have to believe me. I’ve been pretty consistent on this topic though and if I’m wrong, you can kick me off this site.

That's fine, but I'm not coming back until the University gets serious about competing, which if Edwards is extending Paulsen means once Edwards is fired as well (which might mean I'm never coming back, but I've also got other things I could be doing with my time besides waiting for Mason to get serious and be competitive).

JPgmuswim

Starter

I believe what you say, and if that is true then I’ll email Brad and let him know I’ll be back in a year after the school inevitably fires DP. All he’s doing is prolonging a rebuild and setting us back further.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe what you say, and if that is true then I’ll email Brad and let him know I’ll be back in a year after the school inevitably fires DP. All he’s doing is prolonging a rebuild and setting us back further.

Or, in the miracle scenario where Dave puts together too good a 2021-22 season to justify firing him, potentially sticking us with him for several more mediocre NCAA-less seasons. Not even slightly interested.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I expect Paulsen to be back because Mason has a new president. But, if Mason has a bad year next year, which is likely I see the new president firing Edwards, Paulsen and Green.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The A10 championship is next weekend. So maybe the following Monday?

I love the ByGeorge team, y’all are usually right. But just this one time I desperately want you to be wrong.

By George.

Starter
Is this based on information received from reliable source(s)?

Reliable up to this point but honestly we don’t dig that much. We were told multiple times last year, this year, and now after the season that DP won’t be fired. So we are not actively digging to confirm the info, just believing it. Mason simply can’t afford to unload him after the COVID season.

Now is the time to start justifying why DP should stick around or think about all the fun things you can do next season instead of watch Mason games.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Reliable up to this point but honestly we don’t dig that much. We were told multiple times last year, this year, and now after the season that DP won’t be fired. So we are not actively digging to confirm the info, just believing it. Mason simply can’t afford to unload him after the COVID season.

Now is the time to start justifying why DP should stick around or think about all the fun things you can do next season instead of watch Mason games.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Paulsen isn't fired after this season. But, given that you have media credentials, I believe you should be clear when you are stating an opinion rather than reliable information.

BTW, before Hewitt was fired, I was told that the school couldn't afford to buy out his contract.

Last edited:
OP
tblack33

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Ive started thinking about replacements for Mason basketball and the money I was going to spend on donations/tickets for next season. Probably going to see what other college basketball games I can get to, I really wanna go up to Pittsburgh to see Duq. new arena. Will probably go to a few P5 games on the east coast, and a few A10 games at other folks stadiums. Wish baseball would be fully back because I’d probably get some good seats to a few Saturday games. There’s a lot of great college basketball to be watched within a few hours drive of Nova.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Does anyone else think saying "we can't afford to fire this coach because we don't have the money" is signaling to the next coach "we aren't going to have the resources to help you succeed here," which signals to the fans "your next coach is going to be a hail mary hope they work out kind of person, so don't expect to be excited about who the next person is going to be?"

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Exactly, because we don't have a team coming back that is going to be competing for a top 4 spot anyway. The league will be better next year. Time to rip the band aid off.

By George.

Starter
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Paulsen isn't fired after this season. But, given that you have media credentials, I believe you should be clear when you are stating an opinion rather than reliable information.

BTW, before Hewitt was fired, I was told that the school couldn't afford to buy out his contract.

Sure but this is not a published article, it’s a message board forum. My info is not from Brad, soooooo I’m not 100%. You are free to believe me or not.

ephoops

Starter
At this time, it's very difficult to predict what Mason's team will look like next year and even more difficult to assess the rest of the league.

Transfers, seniors deciding not to return for one last season, incoming recruits and possible coaching changes (e.g., does Schmidt leave Bona for BC?) will likely have a impact on all the teams in the A10.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I understand mason lost ticket sale revenue. But I would have to imagine their travel costs were down. I’d also have to imagine operations costs for the university as a whole were down. They could always shift money around.

KAOriginal

All-American
Paulsen isn't going anywhere because this school doesn't care.

Mason Athletics is the DMV of college athletics. Slow, inefficient, staff just cashing checks with no real accountability on service. There's no immediate repercussions for bad coaching, bad marketing, nothing.

Once in awhile action is taken to give the impression something is managed for appearances. But otherwise....crickets.