A-10 Opponents

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No kidding. Maryland fans have to experiencing some buyer's remorse with Turgeon. What a mess they are.

Not sure what is going on there, but there are certainly doubts about Turgeon's ability. He has 8 years on his deal so they are giving him plenty of time to right the ship so to speak.

Back to the thread topic- I watched UMASS and Florida State yesterday. I am surprised nobody else commented on how UMass got screwed. Under a minute to go Umass was down 3, got a dunk and the guy got fouled, but the player dunking hung on the rim so they negated the points. I really thought it should have been an "and 1" opportunity.

With that said, Chaz Williams had an off day so if Mason is going to have a chance during conference play, it all starts with containing him.

Off the top of my head, Fordham suffered a defeat to Monmouth (Jon Severe scored 32, he was highly sought after and will be tough)

And vcu creamed VT in a home I mean neutral game at the Coliseum which resembled the 2012 semis game.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b1e348-6aa2-11e3-997b-9213b17dac97_story.html

The victory gave the Rams a sweep of the state’s two power conference schools this season. vcu, which hadn’t played both in a season since the 1989-90 campaign, won 59-56 at Virginia on Nov. 12.

The game, especially at the start, was reminiscent of the Rams’ 74-64 victory against George Mason in the 2012 Colonial Athletic Association tournament; a game the Rams led 32-4 after about nine minutes.

But unlike that game, which became close after halftime, this one never did.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Got my first in-person look at GW tonight against Georgia. GW won going away. UGA is 6-6 and all six of their wins were guarantee games at home. They are not that good.

GW's guards are much more disciplined than they were a year ago. Their bigs are aggressive. This will not be a good match up for us.

There was an announced crowd of just over 3k and probably a third of them were UGA fans. Here is a 12-2 team playing very well and can't crack 4k with a rare visit by a SEC school. And we thought we had attendance problems.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So a post I made in another thread got me thinking about this:

What games do you think we are likely to win going forward against our A10 opponents?

OP
Bricker

Bricker

Starter

What games do you think we are likely to win going forward against our A10 opponents?

I'm dreading looking at the schedule, but I'll give this a shot.

Games we should win: Duquesne (sweep just because), St. Bonnie, @Fordham (even though our NY guys tend to shrink playing up there)

Games we could steal: Richmond, @ Rhody (palate cleanser after getting waxed by vcu and UMASS), @ LaSalle

And some of those could be a stretch...

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

KenPom and RPIForecast (which uses Sagarin) only have us favored to win 2: at home vs St. Bonnie and vs Duquesne.

:bricks:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, I think we will be somewhere in between KenPom and what Bricker has picked. I am guessing the two homes with St. Bonnie and Duquesne, plus one (maybe two) of the others listed by Bricker.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Before the season, I actually thought we would win at least 7, and as many as 10.

:(

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Winner, winner, chicken dinner (1): Duquesne
So you're saying there's a chance? (7): St. Joe's, GW, Richmond, St. Bona, at URI, at Fordham, at Duq
Hail Mary (2): Dayton, at LaSalle
No way in hell (6): at vcu, UMass x2, SLU x2, at GW

Predicted record: 5-11

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I am seriously considering not going to the UMass game, which would be the first game ever I just "didn't go to for no reason" in my entire life as a Mason fan.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://collegechalktalk.com/2014/01/06/atlantic-10-conference-season-resolutions-part-i/

George Mason (7-7) – Hold serve at home: When Mason entered the A10 last spring most fans probably knew two or three basic things about the Patriots: they went to a Final Four a few years back as a Cinderella, Paul Hewitt is their head coach and they have a great home crowd and local fan support. Well, now is the time for Mason Nation to rise up and support their club in conference play. I think Mason could finish right at .500 in their first go round with the A10 (best case), granted they take care of business on their home floor. If GMU can go 5-3 at home (losses against UMass, GW and Saint Louis?) they could then grind out a 3-5 record on the road to finish at 8-8. I think most Patriots fans would sign up for that blueprint at this juncture of the season given the difficulty of the league and current state of GMU.

Harry

Starter
http://collegechalktalk.com/2014/01/06/atlantic-10-conference-season-resolutions-part-i/

George Mason (7-7) – Hold serve at home: When Mason entered the A10 last spring most fans probably knew two or three basic things about the Patriots: they went to a Final Four a few years back as a Cinderella, Paul Hewitt is their head coach and they have a great home crowd and local fan support. Well, now is the time for Mason Nation to rise up and support their club in conference play. I think Mason could finish right at .500 in their first go round with the A10 (best case), granted they take care of business on their home floor. If GMU can go 5-3 at home (losses against UMass, GW and Saint Louis?) they could then grind out a 3-5 record on the road to finish at 8-8. I think most Patriots fans would sign up for that blueprint at this juncture of the season given the difficulty of the league and current state of GMU.
After losing to ODU, this scenario seem highly unlikely. We will struggle to win even three on the road and home games are problematic.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Whoever wrote this needs to be drug tested pronto.