Welcome DeVon Cooper

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jarred Reuter has a chance to be one of the top 5 best players in the A-10....

Kid did have 21 points on 7-11 shooting (5-8 from 3), 4 rebounds, and 4 assists against WVU in the tournament.

He also had 14, 6, and 3 against Richmond and 11, 7, and 3 against Ohio State. Oh and he also scored in double figures all 3 times they played Belmont (they went 2-1 against them).

It’s one thing to tout a player who hardly played, another who averaged 31 mpg last season.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Kid did have 21 points on 7-11 shooting (5-8 from 3), 4 rebounds, and 4 assists against WVU in the tournament.

He also had 14, 6, and 3 against Richmond and 11, 7, and 3 against Ohio State. Oh and he also scored in double figures all 3 times they played Belmont (they went 2-1 against them).

It’s one thing to tout a player who hardly played, another who averaged 31 mpg last season.

Agreed. Obviously I hope the comment by English comes to fruition in some way shape or form, but there is at least some ground to stand on for the comment based on previous D1 performance.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He'll be very good I think. 2nd team OVC too...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I always thought when DP brought guys who won in HS that would bode well in college.

That said, when you bring in some guys who have already won in college, I have to think that will pay higher dividends than just winning in high school.

I have high expectations for guys like Cooper and I am sure that many others do as well.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I always thought when DP brought guys who won in HS that would bode well in college.

That said, when you bring in some guys who have already won in college, I have to think that will pay higher dividends than just winning in high school.

I have high expectations for guys like Cooper and I am sure that many others do as well.
Clear difference is guys like Otis, Kam Murrell (C prep team) and others won at weak levels in high school. Not a ton of guys from really good high school teams (Oduro and Jamal being two exceptions)

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Clear difference is guys like Otis, Kam Murrell (C prep team) and others won at weak levels in high school. Not a ton of guys from really good high school teams (Oduro and Jamal being two exceptions)

I don't think that really matters much. We said that about Jordan Miller and Tyler Kolek too. Otis also had no problem competing at the A10 level.

Speaking of: Kam Murrell is a Grad Assistant at Memphis right now.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah, I mean, I always thought it would help. It didn't seem like it did help all that much.

I'm more more in the belief that winning at the D1 level previously will carry with you. Its a different mindset and maturity.

But, its merely a thought and really means nothing at the end of the day.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The difference with Cooper is he’s a man physically and mentally. We don’t have to wait for him to develop … he’s a plug and play 30 mpg guy at the 2 and won’t be overmatched by anyone in the
A-10. The fact that his last team had success is a bonus IMHO

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
But it does say something about KE’s intentions that he went and got 3 guys who played in the tournament last season. None of them came to Mason looking for a long-term rebuild — whether it’s realistic or not their plan is to dance next season.
But, but, but, that's impossible!!! At least that's what I read here. Somebody should tell CKE he can't do it.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm really starting to worry that Cooper is hitting a wall. Granted, all perimeter shooters can be streaky, but it's a little worrisome lately to be getting such little production from a shooting guard averaging 33 minutes a game.

My main concern with Coop is his entire game is played on the perimeter, which makes it tougher to get out of a slump. It's not in his game or nature to score in the lane or draw contact, because an astonishing 68% of his shots are taken from behind the arc and he's only been to the FT line 32 times in 27 games (yes, you read both of those stats correctly).

Devon had a very good game when we hosted vcu two weeks ago (14 points on 5-9 shooting), but here's what he's done in the four games since against St. Joe's, Fordham, vcu and GW:

—Scored 5, 5, 3 and 3 points. In the previous 23 games, he was only held to single digits five times
—Shot 24% from the floor overall and 18% from three (4-22)
—Of his 25 shots, only 3 have been inside the arc.
—He hasn't attempted a single free throw, a streak that dates back nine games to February 2 against St. Louis when he was 1-2.

DeVon Cooper has been a great addition to this team, and he's too good of a shooter to not figure this out. Here's hoping we see him catch fire right as we head into this last stretch and the A10 tourney.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One of the things which seems to have happened is he can’t get separation from his defender when driving into the lane, so he winds up either: dribbling back out, or picking up his dribble, or straight up loses the ball. Maybe the fact that English doesn’t want him taking mid-range jumpers has hampered his confidence and ability to get layups? It’s also partly true that a lot of teams have been packing the paint against us and daring us to shoot from 3 and this team seems impatient with trying to work the ball into the paint.

I don’t know…but Gaines is in the same boat lately (and he has barely taken any shots).

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
One of the things which seems to have happened is he can’t get separation from his defender when driving into the lane, so he winds up either: dribbling back out, or picking up his dribble, or straight up loses the ball. Maybe the fact that English doesn’t want him taking mid-range jumpers has hampered his confidence and ability to get layups? It’s also partly true that a lot of teams have been packing the paint against us and daring us to shoot from 3 and this team seems impatient with trying to work the ball into the paint.

I don’t know…but Gaines is in the same boat lately (and he has barely taken any shots).
Pretty sure it's just late season legs. I've been thinkinga bout how we've been doing WAY better with bench minutes/contributions (Fordham game notwithstanding...) and if that had picked up earlier in the season we may not have two core guys who are just completely gassed at this point.

Coop or Gaines finds their groove and I'll feel a lot better about the tournament. If they stay cold I won't be surprised if we go down early. Nevertheless I know that Gaines at least will find a way to contribute even if he's not shooting.