GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Dr Washington comes in, in 2020
Dave paulsen leaves in march 2021 when a decision needs to be made
Kim English gets brought in by Dr w and Brad
Sept 2022- Brad departs with his contract being in the last year
I believe Dr. W means business. Brad was ok, but I am hoping Dr. W wants more/better.
I will be very disappointed if I am wrong about Dr. W, but from day one, and I can't remember his exact words, he put the A-10 on notice...We are coming!
And as an aside, it may be that which convinces CKE to stay at Mason longer once he starts getting other offers. Maybe W will say something like "Kim, stay here. I've got your back/salary. We're going to do this together."

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
do we get ?
1) an Asst AD at a Power 5 school;
2) an Asst AD at a basketball focused mid major
3) an AD from an equivalent to an A-10 School
4) an AD from a smaller than A-10 school

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
do we get ?
1) an Asst AD at a Power 5 school;
2) an Asst AD at a basketball focused mid major
3) an AD from an equivalent to an A-10 School
4) an AD from a smaller than A-10 school

BE was from a mid/low-major, TOC was from Bona.

If we do a P5 (outside of the Big East) it should be from a basketball-centric school/conference (preferably one who knows how to handle non-revenue sports). I don’t want another football guy.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
BE was from a mid/low-major, TOC was from Bona.

If we do a P5 (outside of the Big East) it should be from a basketball-centric school/conference (preferably one who knows how to handle non-revenue sports). I don’t want another football guy.
There is that.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm thinking we will most likely pull an Assistant AD from a school in the Mid-Atlantic area, either Power 5 or Bball centric. Someone who knows the area and potential of this area is crucial. Someone who sees the moneybags here! This place is and should be a cashcow for all our teams with all of the huge companies and well paid people living here. The time is now to tap in to this potential and really understand this powder keg we are all living in and the realm of the possibility to really get things turned around and moving at Mason, that starts with getting donors and corporate sponsors in the door. Plus, we need way better marketing and community outreach for all sports. I want this person to be shocked and angry we don't have freaking lights on our baseball field. Then schedule a meeting with Northrup Grumman or Nestle or another thousand big company here and put down an initiative and go get us results and the money for our athletic goals and projects. Our alumni don't donate well, we need an AD to understand this and go after the corporate money here in DC. I think Brad wanted to tap in to this potential, ie. Darrell Green hire, but seems he had some success but had so much other stuff to deal with as well.

Mason is notorious for under paying in athletics. We don't pay well, especially for living in this area. Brad's starting base salary was $300K plus bonus/incentives, this year I'd think he makes $350K in base by now. vcu's AD Ed Mclaughlin makes $450K a year in base plus incentives. Davidson AD Chris Clunie makes $260K a year and same for Jeff Bourne at JMU whom made $260K a year back in 2019. John Ballein, Assistant AD at VT, makes $170K a year down in Blacksburg which he can live like a king down there on that salary - same with the Davidson and JMU guys.

While on the other side of the spectrum, Clemson's AD makes $850K in base. Plus annual bonuses.

Hopefully an AD on the rise will want to come here and put in the work to make all sports great again. And understands.... he has his shot to make money off corporate deals and other incentives and bonuses for winning. Show us how hard you work and like Rod Tidwell...... we will Show you the MONNEYYYYY!

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I’d look for a local business executive who loves basketball and has contacts with the other executives in N.Va. The Athletic Department needs to be run like a business. NIL has changed the college sports world.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I’d look for a local business executive who loves basketball and has contacts with the other executives in N.Va. The Athletic Department needs to be run like a business. NIL has changed the college sports world.

I'd prefer someone that knows the business of college athletics; how to evaluate a Coach, balance the needs of programs w/a limited budget, how to fundraise, familiarity w/NCAA rules what a successful athletic department looks like and how it's structured , etc. etc. etc.