The Official Dave Paulsen and Brad Edwards Speculation Thread

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
fair, the practice facility is nice, but not sure how nice it is compared to like Dayton. Probably not quite as nice. Locker rooms are very good though. There is artwork in the facility and the scoreboard is also nice.

Not sure why anyone would ever compare our program to Dayton’s. They sell out every game in a 13,000-seat arena even when their team is meh. They are literally operating on a different planet than Mason when it comes to giving a shit about basketball.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It's too bad they didn't have this stuff figured out, because NOW is exactly the time to get this done...it's not like EBA's schedule isn't open.

I've always liked the Patriot Center. It's a little ugly on the outside, but it has good bones -- lots of potential with a creative architect and a nice pile of cash.
I understand the arena is used for more than just basketball games. But its a perfect time renovations like you said.

If I had it my way, I would convert upper level seats into luxury box seats. This would lower the capacity of the arena but force the fans to the lower seats. This would give an appearance that the arena is full.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure why anyone would ever compare our program to Dayton’s. They sell out every game in a 13,000-seat arena even when their team is meh. They are literally operating on a different planet than Mason when it comes to giving a shit about basketball.

wasnt really trying to compare, just the fact they have one and mason has one. There’s no comparison between mason and many a10 schools when it comes to facilities.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. But I was thinking about Mason as a whole.

I get the sense that Virginia just wants Mason to be an affordable State school. UVA and VT gets the prestige and Mason is designed to educate the masses.

The Final 4 was lightning in a bottle. Mason opted to enhance the campus as a whole opposed to just athletics. Can’t blame them. But we are what we are now. Not much will change.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. But I was thinking about Mason as a whole.

I get the sense that Virginia just wants Mason to be an affordable State school. UVA and VT gets the prestige and Mason is designed to educate the masses.

The Final 4 was lightning in a bottle. Mason opted to enhance the campus as a whole opposed to just athletics. Can’t blame them. But we are what we are now. Not much will change.

Eh idk, I think if we were successful again it would be different this go around. The state can take a look at vcu's approach to success as the roadmap, they signed off on everything they've done down there.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Eh idk, I think if we were successful again it would be different this go around. The state can take a look at vcu's approach to success as the roadmap, they signed off on everything they've done down there.

Yes, but they are in the state capital and there are a lot of anti-NOVA people in the state house. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for them to give Mason anything.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, but they are in the state capital and there are a lot of anti-NOVA people in the state house. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for them to give Mason anything.

The main difference is vcu has been able to pay for a lot of athletic upgrades since their Final Four with private and corporate donations. They have multiple Kathy McKays (and bigger) and they raise the donation levels required to get the best seats every year because they can ... for now.

By contrast, Mason didn’t broaden its athletic donor base after 2006 because Merten didn’t want to adversely affect the university’s fundraising. Now nobody wants to donate to a program that hasn’t been to the dance in 10 years.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The main difference is vcu has been able to pay for a lot of athletic upgrades since their Final Four with private and corporate donations. They have multiple Kathy McKays (and bigger) and they raise the donation levels required to get the best seats every year because they can ... for now.

By contrast, Mason didn’t broaden its athletic donor base after 2006 because Merten didn’t want to adversely affect the university’s fundraising. Now nobody wants to donate to a program that hasn’t been to the dance in 10 years.

It probably didn't help that TOC and Merten squandered a pretty decent gift from Barnes and Noble ($1 million wasn't it?) toward a future practice facility after 2006. All they had to do was turn a $20 million renovation/addition project into a $35 million renovation/addition project and maybe we aren't talking about this stuff right now.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It probably didn't help that TOC and Merten squandered a pretty decent gift from Barnes and Noble ($1 million wasn't it?) toward a future practice facility after 2006. All they had to do was turn a $20 million renovation/addition project into a $35 million renovation/addition project and maybe we aren't talking about this stuff right now.

Pretty sure that money went to the baseball stadium but I could be wrong.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You mean we’re supposed to actually discuss scheduling matters in the thread titled “2020-21 schedule”?

Pish posh, I say. Pish posh! :D

I mean, we're basically turning every thread into "well Dave should be fired because"...lol.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If it's good enough for Hewitt, it's good enough for Paulsen.

I remember those days. It could be “mason finishes top in xyz”. First post would then be “well we won’t finish top in basketball with Hewitt”

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So we now have closure on half of this.

Dr W likes basketball, Brad pulled the trigger on Dave.

Now lets see who is new basketball coach and whether Brad gets extended.