The Official Dave Paulsen and Brad Edwards Speculation Thread

KAOriginal

All-American
yeah that’s what we are all afraid of. “6th place and 10-8, success! Here’s 3 years!”
Not what I’d want. But no clue what the bar is for “success” considering what I’ve heard

Get a young energetic recruiter who builds on what they have to work with already, get some transfers to bridge talent gaps, and someone can turn it around in a few years. it’s certainly easier to sell things now than 5 years ago in terms of facilities as an example.

But don’t hold your breath with this happening.

My biggest fear. Marginal success gets us 3 more years of "maybe next year! mediocrity".

It's a shame that "hey thanks for getting us up out of the gutter and to the middle of the A10....but we're going in a new direction to take the next step" is not reasonable.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My biggest fear. Marginal success gets us 3 more years of "maybe next year! mediocrity".

It's a shame that "hey thanks for getting us up out of the gutter and to the middle of the A10....but we're going in a new direction to take the next step" is not reasonable.

Completely agree. Dave and Brad have definitely brought the program more in line in terms of facilities and to some (very debatable) form of respectability.

But its time for the program to try and take the next step with or without them. Otherwise there was no point in joining the A10.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Completely agree. Dave and Brad have definitely brought the program more in line in terms of facilities and to some (very debatable) form of respectability.

But its time for the program to try and take the next step with or without them. Otherwise there was no point in joining the A10.
They only tackled the low hanging fruit. The went with average across the board. No creativity.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They only tackled the low hanging fruit. The went with average across the board. No creativity.

practice facility is average.

I’m not sure the locker room is average though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

When you have no money, there is no such thing as low hanging fruit. They can't even afford to put lights on the baseball field, you expect them to build an $80 million "student success building" with massage parlor and movie theater and lazy river and augmented reality rope course?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
When you have no money, there is no such thing as low hanging fruit. They can't even afford to put lights on the baseball field, you expect them to build an $80 million "student success building" with massage parlor and movie theater and lazy river and augmented reality rope course?

I see what you are saying, but there is something inbetween nothing and Clemson's football emporium for hookers and blow. I think we've taken steps in the right direction, but we're lacking a roadmap for what direction we go in next.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t expect 80 million facility, but I expect art work on the practice facility. I expected a decent size scoreboard.

edit... I looked up the practice facility and it looked better than I remembered. But still it seems average to me

Last edited:
OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t expect 80 million facility, but I expect art work on the practice facility. I expected a decent size scoreboard

fair, the practice facility is nice, but not sure how nice it is compared to like Dayton. Probably not quite as nice. Locker rooms are very good though. There is artwork in the facility and the scoreboard is also nice.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Hope that he took PTO while he did that interview, would be a very bad look for a state employee who is paid by everyone's tax dollars to do a personal interview during working hours. Sounds like fraud, waste, and abuse to me.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I see what you are saying, but there is something inbetween nothing and Clemson's football emporium for hookers and blow. I think we've taken steps in the right direction, but we're lacking a roadmap for what direction we go in next.

Don't we have a roadmap, though? There is supposed to be an extension built on to the cage gym ("Phase II of the Basketball Excellence Plan will consist of complete design and construction of an addition to the practice facility, including adding locker rooms, training and sports medicine performance areas, and offices for the coaching staffs.") I know before the shutdown, Phase II was supposed to be part of Mason Giving Day this year.

I know Edwards said a few years ago he was going to study a renovation vs. new arena approach to our home, but we have heard zero on that front. I mean, if we're talking about being creative, it's what to do about EBA going forward.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hope that he took PTO while he did that interview, would be a very bad look for a state employee who is paid by everyone's tax dollars to do a personal interview during working hours. Sounds like fraud, waste, and abuse to me.
We should send a folio request for his job responsibilities

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't we have a roadmap, though? There is supposed to be an extension built on to the cage gym ("Phase II of the Basketball Excellence Plan will consist of complete design and construction of an addition to the practice facility, including adding locker rooms, training and sports medicine performance areas, and offices for the coaching staffs.") I know before the shutdown, Phase II was supposed to be part of Mason Giving Day this year.

I know Edwards said a few years ago he was going to study a renovation vs. new arena approach to our home, but we have heard zero on that front. I mean, if we're talking about being creative, it's what to do about EBA going forward.

Yeah I think that's more of what I was looking for, I didn't know that he'd talked about looking at renovation vs new arena for the Pat Dome.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sorry WFT team but Darrell Green being an employee has been an epic fail and he needs to be shitcanned ASAP.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah I think that's more of what I was looking for, I didn't know that he'd talked about looking at renovation vs new arena for the Pat Dome.

It's too bad they didn't have this stuff figured out, because NOW is exactly the time to get this done...it's not like EBA's schedule isn't open.

I've always liked the Patriot Center. It's a little ugly on the outside, but it has good bones -- lots of potential with a creative architect and a nice pile of cash.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's too bad they didn't have this stuff figured out, because NOW is exactly the time to get this done...it's not like EBA's schedule isn't open.

I've always liked the Patriot Center. It's a little ugly on the outside, but it has good bones -- lots of potential with a creative architect and a nice pile of cash.

I think that it's still easily a top half arena in the A10. Agree that it could easily be made into an elite place for basketball (and concerts and disney on ice and bdsm conventions and whatever else they want to do there) with some renovations to modernize some of the seating and adding in a lower bowl or luxury boxes. It could probably pay for itself with increased ticket income (read: higher prices) over the next 10-20 years.