The long awaited 30m Practice Facility for men's and women's basketball

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t expect them to understand. I probably didn’t understand at age 20 either.

If mason basketball is good and gets attention bringing additional attention and value to their degrees , then they’ll get it.

I remember the complaining when EBA was renamed.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
While I've not looked at the GMU Reddit because Reddit is a cesspool, if all they seem to do is bitch and moan, be apathetic, etc., well that doesn't sound too far off from what happens on these boards, particularly after a loss or during the off-season.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
While I've not looked at the GMU Reddit because Reddit is a cesspool, if all they seem to do is bitch and moan, be apathetic, etc., well that doesn't sound too far off from what happens on these boards, particularly after a loss or during the off-season.

Pretty typical student complaints (although they have no idea how good they have it re: food).

One poster had it right.

Most interesting complaint is the want for their own on campus barbershop. I was wandering in ASU’s MU on Thursday and came upon a barbershop downstairs I had no idea was there, so maybe it’s a legit complaint?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Pretty typical student complaints (although they have no idea how good they have it re: food).

One poster had it right.

Most interesting complaint is the want for their own on campus barbershop. I was wandering in ASU’s MU on Thursday and came upon a barbershop downstairs I had no idea was there, so maybe it’s a legit complaint?
I feel like a lot of the players keep their hair in styles that benefit from regular touch-ups and trims. If you were going to be on TV twice a week you'd probably want the same...at least clean that neckline up once a week or so. I doubt the team barber is going to be on call 24/7 but let's say he's there 2-3 hours in the afternoon, 3 days a week. That's pretty reasonable and saves guys the time/money of having to go off campus to get trimmed.

Heck, if I had the time/money I'd probably get my hair cut every 2 weeks, and I don't even keep it that short.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I feel like a lot of the players keep their hair in styles that benefit from regular touch-ups and trims. If you were going to be on TV twice a week you'd probably want the same...at least clean that neckline up once a week or so. I doubt the team barber is going to be on call 24/7 but let's say he's there 2-3 hours in the afternoon, 3 days a week. That's pretty reasonable and saves guys the time/money of having to go off campus to get trimmed.

Heck, if I had the time/money I'd probably get my hair cut every 2 weeks, and I don't even keep it that short.
Hair!?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
C'mon, you remember, don't you. It's the stringy stuff that used to be on top of your head.
Ah yes, the stuff that used to be to my shoulders and parted in the middle!
Thanks for jogging my memory!

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we're talking about hiring a hair stylist. This is more just providing a home to an existing team activity. Most teams have a team barber, often one of the players.

We're hardly the first ones to build a team barbershop, and it's probably something we need to do to keep up in recruiting:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Due to rising costs, UMD's new basketball practice facility will have just one practice court - https://www.testudotimes.com/2023/6...ks-ground-on-new-basketball-practice-facility

"Evans also said that the price tag for the performance center is expected to be just over $52 million — a sharp increase from the original announced cost of $36 million that was supplanted by rising construction costs and the COVID-19 pandemic. Original plans also slated the facility to be 16,000 square feet larger and include an additional practice court."

It appears that Mason made the correct decision to first renovate the Cage Gym and then expand the RAC as its basketball practice facility.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It appears that Mason made the correct decision to first renovate the Cage Gym and then expand the RAC as its basketball practice facility.
This x1000. Attaching it to EBA could never have been a serious consideration, really smart investment & strategic approach by Mason.

Not sure if the additional practice court will be full size (would assume so?), but regardless, once it's complete it should give us one of the largest practice areas of any college program.

I can't wait for some official renderings and details to be released by the school.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Most college basketball teams that are predominately African-American usually have at least one player who is skilled as a barber - which is not the same thing as having a legal barber's license. Back in the day when players had limited extra money that player would cut everyone on the team's hair. But i am old and have no idea what is happening today with everyone getting NIL money.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This x1000. Attaching it to EBA could never have been a serious consideration, really smart investment & strategic approach by Mason.

Not sure if the additional practice court will be full size (would assume so?), but regardless, once it's complete it should give us one of the largest practice areas of any college program.

I can't wait for some official renderings and details to be released by the school.
Yes pretty sure the plan is for the men’s and women’s teams to have their own practice courts so they don’t have to share.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You must be new around here
1696296758317.jpeg