The long awaited 30m Practice Facility for men's and women's basketball

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest Marvin found the financing 2 months into him taking the job haha. I think Dr. Wash played a major role closing the loop on financing and moving the project forward over the last few years; he doesn't seem like the type of person who enjoys letting projects roll over or missing timelines/benchmarks.

Blue Balls Brad first announced this project over 6 years ago before it just fell into the abyss, he could have gotten this done in that timeframe, but it seems he was pretty checked out towards the end of his tenure.

My point on Marvin is more about him sitting down with Dr. Wash when he started to get the lay of the land on athletics, and the two of them likely coming to the conclusion that this is a major project that needs prioritization and could drive additional buzz and momentum for the program in both Marvin and Tony's first year.
Unless more details are shared, given how early it is into Marvin's tenure, I think we need to pump the breaks on not giving Brad credit for this, much less criticizing him. Mason athletics does not come up with 30 million very easily and I can't imagine he didn't play a large part in getting a chunk of this done.

Doesn't mean there isn't plenty else to criticize him on.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Unless more details are shared, given how early it is into Marvin's tenure, I think we need to pump the breaks on not giving Brad credit for this, much less criticizing him. Mason athletics does not come up with 30 million very easily and I can't imagine he didn't play a large part in getting a chunk of this done.

I agree with this. Even if Brad was one foot out the door for a while, doesn't mean he didn't prep this an hand it off for the new AD to hit the ground running, or that he was waiting for the funding to solidify post-COVID. Us outsiders won't know the details, unfortunately - but there's no reason to think he would be intentionally negligent.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree with this. Even if Brad was one foot out the door for a while, doesn't mean he didn't prep this an hand it off for the new AD to hit the ground running, or that he was waiting for the funding to solidify post-COVID. Us outsiders won't know the details, unfortunately - but there's no reason to think he would be intentionally negligent.

I suppose the one question I would have is how come there have been no targeted fundraising campaigns directed toward the general public/alumni over the last 6 years as it relates to phase II? They did this for phase I, but crickets for phase II.

The $30 million price tag is also interesting. The original plan released to the public was $15 million. Inflation might have something to do with it, but it also sounds like the new plan is a little more ambitious than the last one.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Brief mention in the minutes for next week's BOV meeting:

"Construct Basketball Training, Wrestling, and Athlete Academic Support (RAC Addition) – Commonwealth has approved project for $15.5M of fundraising. We believe that this project will have a budget of $30M. Capital Strategies and Planning is working on the detailed planning program for the addition. Mason would like to use Design-Build as the delivery method for this building, which will require permission from DEB."

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

I'm not saying Brad doesn't deserve any credit. He absolutely kicked this thing off and got Phase 1 done, but I think some criticism for the handling of Phase 2 is fair....that is my opinion.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a project Brad first announced SIX years ago (we can disagree, but that is a long time ago) and never mentioned again publicly....gets finalized and announced after he leaves with a new admin and AD in place. If this thing was close to the finish line under Brad's watch he would have said something, anything in recent years before he left....this is a project big enough that you'd want credit for publicly.

No outward facing fundraising efforts, no updates on the project, no timelines, no details. Total silence until we started hearing rumblings earlier this year.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Brief mention in the minutes for next week's BOV meeting:

"Construct Basketball Training, Wrestling, and Athlete Academic Support (RAC Addition) – Commonwealth has approved project for $15.5M of fundraising. We believe that this project will have a budget of $30M. Capital Strategies and Planning is working on the detailed planning program for the addition. Mason would like to use Design-Build as the delivery method for this building, which will require permission from DEB."
I think this is the same quote that has been in the BOV meeting minutes for months now?

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Once there are more details/design mocks (probably exist already) the sponsorship team should be hitting the pavement selling naming rights/partnerships to businesses in Northern Virginia. Just examples....

Inova Health | Center for George Mason Basketball
Strength & Wellness Wing powered by LifeTime Fairfax

I believe the EBA naming rights are up end of 2025 with EagleBank having first right of refusal to extend for another 10 years. Given their branch closures, layoffs, etc. I'm not confident they'll want to extend, so arena naming rights could be packaged with the basketball facility as a larger sponsorship proposal.

Go get that incremental revenue $$$$$$!
I was always kind of partial to The Patriot Center.
But yes, I know, we need a big time money name on the arena.
How about "The (fill in the blank) Patriot Center" ?

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If true that the new AD was able to find the financing to get this done, then, yes, I am impressed. My guess is that this had already been a done deal and they were just waiting for the right time to announce. I hope I am wrong, because new AD could get the "Big Balls Marvin" title if true.
Let’s hold off on big balls for a few years…

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
UT's Thompson-Boling Arena just got renamed the "Thompson-Boling Arena at the Food City Center."

I don't see why the PC can't become the Eagle Bank Arena at the Patriot Center.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
UT's Thompson-Boling Arena just got renamed the "Thompson-Boling Arena at the Food City Center."

I don't see why the PC can't become the Eagle Bank Arena at the Patriot Center.

For sure!

I personally don't care how it's positioned, whatever brings in the most naming rights revenue for the school!

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Once there are more details/design mocks (probably exist already) the sponsorship team should be hitting the pavement selling naming rights/partnerships to businesses in Northern Virginia. Just examples....

Inova Health | Center for George Mason Basketball
Strength & Wellness Wing powered by LifeTime Fairfax

I believe the EBA naming rights are up end of 2025 with EagleBank having first right of refusal to extend for another 10 years. Given their branch closures, layoffs, etc. I'm not confident they'll want to extend, so arena naming rights could be packaged with the basketball facility as a larger sponsorship proposal.

Go get that incremental revenue $$$$$$!
In a separate thread I posted my convo with Eagle Bank's current Treasurer a month or so ago, he's a Mason alumni. The current Eagle Bank CEO does not like the partnership and will not renew naming rights in 2026. Will need to find another sponsor for sure for the arena.

Marvin needs to look at potential suitors now for the transition.

IMO...Amazon should be at the top of the list among many other tech giants located in NOVA.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In a separate thread I posted my convo with Eagle Bank's current Treasurer a month or so ago, he's a Mason alumni. The current Eagle Bank CEO does not like the partnership and will not renew naming rights in 2026. Will need to find another sponsor for sure for the arena.

Marvin needs to look at potential suitors now for the transition.

IMO...Amazon should be at the top of the list among many other tech giants located in NOVA.
Amazon Arena, where it’s always raining 3s!

@mkaufman1 - Do you think the Ted Leonisis Monumental Sports relationship will play a role in bulldozing it/building a new one? We own it and they "manage it" correct?

Could You see a scenario where we play at the Washington Mystics arena for a year or two while a new Arena is built since Ted owns the Mystics or do you think that would be too far for our fanbase?