The long awaited 30m Practice Facility for men's and women's basketball

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was just looking at more BOV meeting notes (yes I have no life), and as recently as last year they were discussing a $150M addition to EagleBank Arena that would serve students, university life, and athletics. This has since been paired down to the separate projects mentioned above (Activities Building, Basketball Facility), which is good because I can't imagine how that investment would be a good idea when they don't know what to do about EBA on its own. There are several mentions of the "eventual relocation" of EBA/construction of a 90k gsf arena over on West Campus as part of a larger Athletics Village.
That's the thing though, this was being discussed at the same time as the practice facility, which dates back at least five years. These were two projects seemingly for the same thing, or at least had a ton of overlap. It's absolutely maddening that they can't seem to communicate with each other, let alone alumni. You've got the BoV over here talking about a $150 million addition to a f**king arena that they themselves have listed as "critical" in terms of its useful lifespan, while the athletics department shadow fundraises for the same project that they think will be totally across campus.

I get that it's impossible to glean everything from BoV minutes, but guess what? That's all they give us. So everyone on here is entitled to both bitch and be cynical about anything they do.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
That's the thing though, this was being discussed at the same time as the practice facility, which dates back at least five years. These were two projects seemingly for the same thing, or at least had a ton of overlap. It's absolutely maddening that they can't seem to communicate with each other, let alone alumni. You've got the BoV over here talking about a $150 million addition to a f**king arena that they themselves have listed as "critical" in terms of its useful lifespan, while the athletics department shadow fundraises for the same project that they think will be totally across campus.

I get that it's impossible to glean everything from BoV minutes, but guess what? That's all they give us. So everyone on here is entitled to both bitch and be cynical about anything they do.
LOL yea it's a total s***show, and they deserve to be criticized until they show tangible evidence that they have any sort of collective strategy behind all of this. Not holding my breath.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Nothing really useful to add other than this: When I was discussing the practice facility, I got the impression that they were going to go ahead and start the project with the $15M they already have and then do the fundraising to get the rest. They'll just figure out how to pay for the second half after it is built.

Seems like they may be heeding my dad's, essentially, advice. He used to say:
"When have you ever seen a university building foreclosed on?"

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yea this clearly has always been the biggest problem, and I don't think this latest administration is immune to it. There is no strategy for athletics infrastructure.

I was just looking at more BOV meeting notes (yes I have no life), and as recently as last year they were discussing a $150M addition to EagleBank Arena that would serve students, university life, and athletics. This has since been paired down to the separate projects mentioned above (Activities Building, Basketball Facility), which is good because I can't imagine how that investment would be a good idea when they don't know what to do about EBA on its own. There are several mentions of the "eventual relocation" of EBA/construction of a 90k gsf arena over on West Campus as part of a larger Athletics Village.

The administration has transformed the academic core of campus, but for too long they've kicked the can down the road on athletics and are left scrambling on how to fit it into the overall strategy. Someone needs to take a leadership position in ensuring athletics 1. has its own strategic plan and 2. making sure it is integrated into the overall master plan for the university. Until those things happen I think we'll continue to see athletics projects appear as "one offs" that take longer than they should to complete.
Sounds like the perfect role for an athletic director.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Nothing really useful to add other than this: When I was discussing the practice facility, I got the impression that they were going to go ahead and start the project with the $15M they already have and then do the fundraising to get the rest. They'll just figure out how to pay for the second half after it is built.

Given that the project is not fully funded, how should construction be prioritized for the following?

• Additional Practice Court
  • State of the art Academic Center
  • Barbershop
  • Men’s & Women’s Basketball Locker Rooms
  • Players Lounge
  • Coaches Offices
  • Weight Room and Athletic Training Room
  • Rest and Recovery rooms with Sleep Pods
  • Wrestling Room

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

If that’s the case why is the completion date Summer 2026? That would mean breaking ground sometime around Spring 2025 which obviously is a ways away.

Sorry not expecting you to have the answers, it’s just every time new bits of info are dug up on this it leads to more questions and head scratching.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Given that the project is not fully funded, how should construction be prioritized for the following?

• Additional Practice Court
  • State of the art Academic Center
  • Barbershop
  • Men’s & Women’s Basketball Locker Rooms
  • Players Lounge
  • Coaches Offices
  • Weight Room and Athletic Training Room
  • Rest and Recovery rooms with Sleep Pods
  • Wrestling Room
I wasn't implying a partial build, though, I guess that is an option. I was assuming they would do the full build and finance it in some manner, hence the comment about university buildings never being foreclosed upon.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I wasn't implying a partial build, though, I guess that is an option. I was assuming they would do the full build and finance it in some manner, hence the comment about university buildings never being foreclosed upon.
That is what I am thinking $15 million in the building game is not much

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That is what I am thinking $15 million in the building game is not much
There are creative ways to raise money. For example, Dr. Merten told me President Johnson didnt have even 1/3 of the $ for the Johnson Center. But some nerd in Mason Hall created a bond package to issue and suddenly they had the money. Not sure if the game is the same, but if it is, its probably why, like Brians dad said, no University Building gets forclosed.

Furthermore,.Im curious what our credit rating is and how that plays into it.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
For a trip down memory lane, this is what Ryan Kish reported in February 2016 - https://gmuhoops.co/2016/02/07/geor...ing-a-dedicated-basketball-practice-facility/

"George Mason is finally getting a dedicated basketball practice facility​

Posted on February 7, 2016 by Ryan Kish10 Comments

Screenshot 2016-02-07 11.38.11

It looks like George Mason basketball is finally getting a dedicated practice facility for its men’s and women’s teams. The university’s Board of Visitors is meeting next week to request the authorization for a 100% donor funded $15.5 million basketball facility to build on to the existing RAC. You can find the details here on pages 21-22 of BOV’s agenda for the February 11th meeting. If everything goes right this is a great recruiting tool for the program as Mason often has recruiting battles with schools who have bigger and better accommodations for their basketball teams. Facilities are all the rave in college sports these days and Mason needs this addition."

And, here is the budget amendment - https://budget.lis.virginia.gov/amendment/2016/1/HB30/Introduced/MR/C-8.10/1h/

2016 Session​

Budget Amendments - HB30 (Member Request)​

By Member » Item C-8.10 #1h​

Chief Patron: Bulova​

GMU - Athletic Facilities​

Item C-8.10 #1h​

First Year - FY2017Second Year - FY2018
Education: Higher Education
George Mason University$15,500,000$0NGF
Language
Page 424, after line 30, insert:
"C-8.10 New Construction: Athletics Facilities$15,500,000$0
Fund Sources: Higher Education Operating$15,500,000$0 "

Explanation
(This amendment requests additional nongeneral fund authority to construct a Basketball Training Facility as an addition to the Recreation Athletic Complex and a Wrestling Facility / Athletic Academic Support Center as an addition to the existing Field House on the Fairfax Campus. The source of the nongeneral funds is donor gifts.)

Last edited:

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I watched today's BOV meeting, here are some quick notes on topics related to Athletics that were presented by AD Marvin Lewis.

Basketball Facility:
- A critical project for him; still need to raise full $15M in order to get this done (way to go Brad)
- 2026 date seems fluid and tied to fundraising efforts; doesn't sound like any work prior to full funding
- He stressed urgency to the board that we're 10 years behind on this project vs. our peers
- This facility will create a more efficient day-to-day experience for the basketball teams

Other Facilities Notes:
- One of his first remarks was the need to improve/modernize the experience at EBA (no details given)
- Mentioned that 16-18 year olds "shop with their eyes"; need to improve all facilities to meet the standard
- His underlying tone drove home that we're severely lacking with many of our athletics facilities

Fundraising:
- Priority one is fundraising to support student athletes well-being and development on/off the court/field
- Ensuring they have funding support in place to both hire and retain top tier coaches and support staff
- Establish strategic approach for engaging local corporations and relationships

Other Notes:
- Developing a strategic playbook one of the key pieces of Marvin's overall vision
- Wants to establish championship culture and change the way the dept collaborates and is structured
- Working on a measurement framework to challenge dept staff to learn and optimize
- Increasing fan and student support for all sports a priority, but especially basketball

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I watched today's BOV meeting, here are some quick notes on topics related to Athletics that were presented by AD Marvin Lewis.

Basketball Facility:
- A critical project for him; still need to raise full $15M in order to get this done (way to go Brad)
- 2026 date seems fluid and tied to fundraising efforts; doesn't sound like any work prior to full funding
- He stressed urgency to the board that we're 10 years behind on this project vs. our peers
- This facility will create a more efficient day-to-day experience for the basketball teams

Other Facilities Notes:
- One of his first remarks was the need to improve/modernize the experience at EBA (no details given)
- Mentioned that 16-18 year olds "shop with their eyes"; need to improve all facilities to meet the standard
- His underlying tone drove home that we're severely lacking with many of our athletics facilities

Fundraising:
- Priority one is fundraising to support student athletes well-being and development on/off the court/field
- Ensuring they have funding support in place to both hire and retain top tier coaches and support staff
- Establish strategic approach for engaging local corporations and relationships

Other Notes:
- Developing a strategic playbook one of the key pieces of Marvin's overall vision
- Wants to establish championship culture and change the way the dept collaborates and is structured
- Working on a measurement framework to challenge dept staff to learn and optimize
- Increasing fan and student support for all sports a priority, but especially basketball
Sounds good, Mr. Lewis!

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Very nice writeup @EXpatriot13

Some of the things that Marvin mentioned to the board seem like stuff we have bitching about for years. Engaging local corporations? Facilities behind?

Brad may have did a few things in the beginning to help things, but man, we still severely lack a ton of basic items for an Athletic Department. Hoping that as much as Marvin outlines what needs to be done, he works hard to get many of the things done in very short order.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Very nice writeup @EXpatriot13

Some of the things that Marvin mentioned to the board seem like stuff we have bitching about for years. Engaging local corporations? Facilities behind?

Brad may have did a few things in the beginning to help things, but man, we still severely lack a ton of basic items for an Athletic Department. Hoping that as much as Marvin outlines what needs to be done, he works hard to get many of the things done in very short order.
I am going to send in a donation by check and said - funds available based on this check being solely donated Practice Facility.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Basketball Facility:

Other Facilities Notes:

Fundraising:

Other Notes:
I agree with Kaufman, great write-up.

Unfortunately (I think), that sounds like it contradicts my understanding on proceeding/finishing prior to doing all of the fundraising, unless they are including loans in the definition of fundraising.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seems wild that no fundraising had been going on since phase1 was completed. You’d think the former regime would have started the second it got half the money from the state to complete this project. Crickets since then (even passed up several giving days without a peep—and if you remember there was a category to donate to phase 1).