The long awaited 30m Practice Facility for men's and women's basketball

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Was just looking thru the BOV deck for their meeting this Thursday (thanks for the heads up Kaufman).

There is a page dedicated to the basketball practice facility, and it includes most of the details already shared here/what we already know: $30M addition to the RAC, same renderings they shared 6 years ago, etc. One new nugget of info on there though is that the estimated completion date is Summer 2026, a whopping 10 years after they first announced the overall project.

It's obvious that the previous AD/Admin de-prioritized this/dropped the ball after they got the "easy" Phase 1 done, because even for Mason's standards, it's ridiculous that a project like this should take a decade to complete.
The current Admin is far more proactive. He is an engineer after all.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Was just looking thru the BOV deck for their meeting this Thursday (thanks for the heads up Kaufman).

There is a page dedicated to the basketball practice facility, and it includes most of the details already shared here/what we already know: $30M addition to the RAC, same renderings they shared 6 years ago, etc. One new nugget of info on there though is that the estimated completion date is Summer 2026, a whopping 10 years after they first announced the overall project.

It's obvious that the previous AD/Admin de-prioritized this/dropped the ball after they got the "easy" Phase 1 done, because even for Mason's standards, it's ridiculous that a project like this should take a decade to complete.
Do you have a link to the BOV deck?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I too have way more confidence in the current leadership as they seem to grasp the importance/value of successful athletics/basketball programs, but I'll believe this project is actually getting done when they break ground.
According to the deck - the cost of the basketball Facility is $30 million - 415 million being funded by the ICA. If its getting committed funds from there - then I would say this is happening. My confidence level is higher than a few years ago.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
According to the deck - the cost of the basketball Facility is $30 million - 415 million being funded by the ICA. If its getting committed funds from there - then I would say this is happening. My confidence level is higher than a few years ago.
My confidence is higher as well.

I just find it incredibly frustrating that it appears there's still a lot of work to be done on the fundraising front in order for this to actually get done. Assuming that's why the ETA is Summer 2026? None of the other aspects of the project (cost, location, renderings, etc.) have changed since the first announcement years ago.

I just hope Dr. Wash & Marvin can accomplish in less than 2 years, what the previous administration "tried" and was unable to do in 6+ years.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The documentation that is now here points in the other direction.
lol I was literally the one who found it and my opinion is unchanged. This is a decade old project that is half funded. Mason has proven itself unable to fundraise at this level. If you told me that Mason had raised 29 of 30 million dollars, my response would still be “see you in five years”.

Half funded, no shovels in the ground, and only two and a half years away? f**k outta here.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Half funded, no shovels in the ground, and only two and a half years away? f**k outta here.
This is where my head is at as well, the timeline doesn’t make any sense if they’re really only half funded.

I could be wrong but I think this is the first time we’ve seen an estimated completion date for Phase 2, so maybe there’s more buttoned up on the funding side that we just aren’t aware of yet….I’m cautiously hopeful.

It would be really cool if we as fans, alumni, donors, etc. didn’t have to dig thru BOV meeting notes every couple of months to get any sort of details on a hugely significant project that many have been asking about since 2016.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
lol I was literally the one who found it and my opinion is unchanged. This is a decade old project that is half funded. Mason has proven itself unable to fundraise at this level. If you told me that Mason had raised 29 of 30 million dollars, my response would still be “see you in five years”.

I know you brought the documentation forward - so for that thank you. My only point was that if they are now starting to present this level of detail then the plans are moving onto the next phase - particularly if they have commitment of state funds. It's a bit more than vaporware now. I do think the 2 year timeline is somewhat ambitious to say the least. It won't be don't in two years - especially if they are presenting two projects in the same part of the campus.

The key issue for me is information - there has to be some fundraising going on in the background and they didn't say they still have yet to raise $15 million - they said they were going to fund that portion through private fundraising. There may have been some donations already received. But we have no information one way or the other.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know you brought the documentation forward - so for that thank you. My only point was that if they are now starting to present this level of detail then the plans are moving onto the next phase - particularly if they have commitment of state funds. It's a bit more than vaporware now. I do think the 2 year timeline is somewhat ambitious to say the least. It won't be don't in two years - especially if they are presenting two projects in the same part of the campus.

The key issue for me is information - there has to be some fundraising going on in the background and they didn't say they still have yet to raise $15 million - they said they were going to fund that portion through private fundraising. There may have been some donations already received. But we have no information one way or the other.
Mason isn’t the kind of school that can afford to fundraise in the background. Look at the patriot club yearly numbers, they need to make a push for private funds. They won’t have bought the shovels to break ground on this in two years at this rate.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mason isn’t the kind of school that can afford to fundraise in the background. Look at the patriot club yearly numbers, they need to make a push for private funds. They won’t have bought the shovels to break ground on this in two years at this rate.
They have done it for some of the academic buildings - so I am not sure that is necessarily true.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Easy to fundraise for academic buildings when you get 20 and 30m donations for them. School of business got like 50m from that Donald Costello.

Has anyone emailed his trustee asking if he liked mason basketball yet? :p

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
They have done it for some of the academic buildings - so I am not sure that is necessarily true.
It seems to just be an athletics issue. There’s never any transparency on projects or the wants/needs of the program(s)…even on Giving Day there’s little to no info other than a blanket “donate to X sport”.

Don’t think I’m going out on a limb to assume they’d garner more interest if alumni/fans/donors had a better idea of what their money is going towards. Are the basketball teams trying to upgrade their video tech for practices? New strength/conditioning equipment? Coaches office renovations? I’m sure the list could be a mile long.

If they stopped operating in the dark on all of these things and tried to drive engagement/buzz you never know who might come forward willing to support.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It seems to just be an athletics issue. There’s never any transparency on projects or the wants/needs of the program(s)…even on Giving Day there’s little to no info other than a blanket “donate to X sport”.

Don’t think I’m going out on a limb to assume they’d garner more interest if alumni/fans/donors had a better idea of what their money is going towards. Are the basketball teams trying to upgrade their video tech for practices? New strength/conditioning equipment? Coaches office renovations? I’m sure the list could be a mile long.
THIS - start a webpage with a tracking graphic on percentage covered and breakout of donations - advertise it - put it in email requests --- people would throw money at it

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Everyone's also forgetting the severe ADHD the school has with capital projects for athletics. Blame it on administration turnover if you'd like, but I'm not convinced that we won't be here in two years talking about the practice facility being on hold as they debate whether they should attach it to a new arena they are thinking about potentially talking about thinking about building in a decade.

Look at baseball, they pulled teeth for years for new dugouts and a new outfield wall and like two years later the school went "we should just build them a dual cricket stadium!"

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Look at baseball, they pulled teeth for years for new dugouts and a new outfield wall and like two years later the school went "we should just build them a dual cricket stadium!"

I'm still waiting for the re-launch of the Athletic Hall of Fame which was promised for Homecoming 2002:

"As part of Homecoming 2002 festivities in the Patriot Center, the George Mason Athletics Department will re-launch its official Athletics Hall of Fame with a halftime ceremony during the televised men’s basketball contest on Saturday, Feb. 16, 2002, at 2 p.m."

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mason published a master plan at the beginning of last year. There is not a single mention of this new facility for the Green Machine/athletics that is supposed to break ground here in a month. Does that sound like a school that knows what its vision is?

At Mason, one hand does not talk to the other, it simply jerks off the BoV and administration.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Everyone's also forgetting the severe ADHD the school has with capital projects for athletics. Blame it on administration turnover if you'd like, but I'm not convinced that we won't be here in two years talking about the practice facility being on hold as they debate whether they should attach it to a new arena they are thinking about potentially talking about thinking about building in a decade.

Yea this clearly has always been the biggest problem, and I don't think this latest administration is immune to it. There is no strategy for athletics infrastructure.

I was just looking at more BOV meeting notes (yes I have no life), and as recently as last year they were discussing a $150M addition to EagleBank Arena that would serve students, university life, and athletics. This has since been paired down to the separate projects mentioned above (Activities Building, Basketball Facility), which is good because I can't imagine how that investment would be a good idea when they don't know what to do about EBA on its own. There are several mentions of the "eventual relocation" of EBA/construction of a 90k gsf arena over on West Campus as part of a larger Athletics Village.

The administration has transformed the academic core of campus, but for too long they've kicked the can down the road on athletics and are left scrambling on how to fit it into the overall strategy. Someone needs to take a leadership position in ensuring athletics 1. has its own strategic plan and 2. making sure it is integrated into the overall master plan for the university. Until those things happen I think we'll continue to see athletics projects appear as "one offs" that take longer than they should to complete.