Kenner

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Athletic similarities maybe but they have 2 different styles of play.

Similar: height (6'6 vs. 6'7), both are long, both alter or block shots on D

Differences: Tillman plays more inside and will make a living around the basket. He's also a better rebounder. AJ runs the court faster, can hit an open jumper or a three. AJ has some more spring in his jump.

AJ's game is probably closer to someone like Bradford Burgess, or maybe Kent Bazemore. If he develops like either of those two players, we'll be lucky, lucky, lucky to have him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
AJ's game is probably closer to someone like Bradford Burgess, or maybe Kent Bazemore. If he develops like either of those two players, we'll be lucky, lucky, lucky to have him.

He's way more athletic than Burgess and way more coordinated/skilled than Bazemore was at this point in his development.

The running joke when Bazemore was a freshman was he couldn't chew gum and dribble a basketball at the same time.

Obviously your point about development holds true in his case. I still can't believe he's a rotation player in the NBA.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He's way more athletic than Burgess and way more coordinated/skilled than Bazemore was at this point in his development.

The running joke when Bazemore was a freshman was he couldn't chew gum and dribble a basketball at the same time.

Obviously your point about development holds true in his case. I still can't believe he's a rotation player in the NBA.

Me either, but he had a hell of senior season there.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Who was the Odu player that got arrested at practice? Or was he shot going to practice? Or was it the coach taking tequila shots before practice? All the above?

FreeGunston12

All-American
Not sure what is worse, choosing Gunston as a mascot or going with the gold star as the school's logo...
How dare you sir! Them's fighting words. I challenge you to a duel on behalf of this university's honor.

Really, I think moving away from Gunston was one of the biggest marketing mistakes made by our AD. The Patriot is a terrible excuse of a mascot that lacks creativity and tradition. George Mason - where innovation is tradition - except for the fact that we can't be innovative enough to create any sort of tradition. What a lame excuse for a mascot and name.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure if Paul Hewitt was the Gunston of coaches, or if Gunston was the Paul Hewitt of mascots.

Either way, I hope they both get hit by trains.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Went to Kenner today to see AJ's team (sans Mar) play against Higher Level who were coached by Bryon Allen with Otis, Jaire and Will Thomas playing.

AJ was matched up with WT most of the game, starting with the opening tip (which AJ won). AJ is as good as advertised. He by far led the game in ooo's from the crowd with put back dunk, alleyoop dunk, driving dunk, 3's and blocks (at least 4) from out of nowhere (including near back to back plays against Jaire and Otis, one on Otis was ruled goal tending).

Kid has unreal athleticism and bounce, better than expected bulk, long wing span and more than adequate height to play the 4 or 5.

I can't imagine him not starting at either the 4 or 5 and playing around 30 mins a game.

Otis and Jaire looked like... Otis and Jaire, with some added bulk.

Attachments

• AJ vs WT.jpg
    AJ vs WT.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 343

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Went to Kenner today to see AJ's team (sans Mar) play against Higher Level who were coached by Bryon Allen with Otis, Jaire and Will Thomas playing.

AJ was matched up with WT most of the game, starting with the opening tip (which AJ won). AJ is as good as advertised. He by far led the game in ooo's from the crowd with put back dunk, alleyoop dunk, driving dunk, 3's and blocks (at least 4) from out of nowhere (including near back to back plays against Jaire and Otis, one on Otis was ruled goal tending).

Kid has unreal athleticism and bounce, better than expected bulk, long wing span and more than adequate height to play the 4 or 5.

I can't imagine him not starting at either the 4 or 5 and playing around 30 mins a game.

Thanks for sharing your observations, the offseason is way too long.

G M U

Starter

Props for showing up with a newborn and giving some insight. Early candidate for the Fan of the Year award.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Haha that was great. I forgot about that video. Thanks for the throwback.

Gunston may have been weird, but at least he was uniquely ours and had a name.
Bring him back! I'm calling the last few years "the curse of the patriot". Think about it, the patriot is now associated with the virus, losing, poor attendance, and just horrible all around experience. Meanwhile Gunston is associated with a final 4 run that shocked the world. Hmm . . .