Kenner

By George.

Starter
I just hesitate to be too high on a redshirt freshman. If he is that good, why did he redshirt? Needed to focus on academics? And don't tell me that he improved that much over the course of 1 year of practice. I think he will be a solid player for us, and he will give us some athleticism and rim protection that was sorely missed last year. But I don't expect him to have any more effect on games than Jaire, Otis, or any of our 3 sophomore wing players.

Hear from AJs mouth as to why he redshirted. I also think he was a bit too skinny for a forward position. He admits that he is 3 pounds away from his goal of 210. I think he's just a kid that needed to develope some skills and also bulk up. Apparently Simpkins really was responsible for landing him and worked with him 1 on 1 all of last season. They would do shooting drills before and after most games. Listen to our podcasts for inside info!

http://giantkiller.co/ByGeorge/2017/07/17/downtime-aj-interview/

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just got back from Kenner League. Saw the 1:00 game featuring Goanar and AJ. Very sloppy play as is often the case in summer league so take my stats with a grain of salt. AJ is certainly athletic and quick off his feet. He finished with 7 points on 1 - 6 shooting from the floor and 5 - 6 from the charity stripe. He added 6 rebounds and 1 block. His time was limited due to early foul trouble. Goanar came off the bench and also played limited minutes. He had 3 points, 2 rebounds, and 4 impressive blocked shots. I could only stick around for the first few minutes so really didn't see much of Otis or Jaire. I will say, as others already have, that Otis has bulked up considerably. I still don't buy that he is 5'10, more like 5'8.

gmu05

Starter
Read this in another thread, I feel like that's the case Kevin Foster was in a few years back

Great another dumb a** who will be suspended for academic reasons, can't they get these guys straight it's not like TOC is here anymore

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Great another dumb a** who will be suspended for academic reasons, can't they get these guys straight it's not like TOC is here anymore
images

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I love the username FreeGunston hahah. I remember being a highschool senior watching Gunston promotional videos about Mason. They should at least bring him back for homecoming.. hahah.

P

Patriot05

Spectator
I love the username FreeGunston hahah. I remember being a highschool senior watching Gunston promotional videos about Mason. They should at least bring him back for homecoming.. hahah.

Not sure what is worse, choosing Gunston as a mascot or going with the gold star as the school's logo...

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks man, we're getting better through the offseason! What were your thoughts on AJ, Mar, jAIRe and Otis?

As others have pointed out - you can't forecast a college career based on Kenner. However, you can watch freshman play against other D1 talent and see the prospects of a good career - especially with DP at the helm. Think our future is bright.

Loved what I saw with AJ. Seems like he can fill a lot of roles and has a nose for the ball. Very excited about this young man's future. Think it was Marquise Moore who responded to a tweet that AJ is going to give a lot of players fits. Now I know why.

Agree with 81 - Mar looks to be athletic and competitive. His 4 blocks were very nice.

Otis and Jaire look as if they took the offseason seriously and both look to be in great shape. Otis is Otis. Jaire's game on Saturday was outstanding. Kid is silky smooth. You wonder who is going to step up with MM and Jalen gone. I'm putting my money on Jaire's stats getting some nice bumps this year.

Great to see BA. Bryon Allen looked very very good at times. He pushed the speed of the game well. Showed off a little more than I remember - and was a bit disappointed in his embracement of Kenner league defense. I guess if you are out of college and getting paid to play in Europe, Kenner has a different emphasis. Still good to see him play - wonder what he could have become under DP. He has all the physical gifts.

G M U

Starter
Haven't seen AJ play. Can we expect a skill set and eventual production similar to Justin Tillman?

Athletic similarities maybe but they have 2 different styles of play.

Similar: height (6'6 vs. 6'7), both are long, both alter or block shots on D

Differences: Tillman plays more inside and will make a living around the basket. He's also a better rebounder. AJ runs the court faster, can hit an open jumper or a three. AJ has some more spring in his jump.