Kenner

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
A chart showing the per-40-minute scoring averages of the players Quentin mentioned would provide more context than merely looking at points per game.

That used to be known as a T-Mac.

It's how you argued the ODU player averaging 4 points was really a better player, he just didn't get enough minutes.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Isn't it refreshing having these discussions as opposed to the Hewitt-era discussions about Anali and Copes?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
To your point though, I'm not convinced that CJL was more hesitant to use Freshman than CDP but as you acknowledged the depth and options for one was a lot better than the other. I think both were willing to play the best player available for the team as a whole but that also includes team defense, ball movement and other factors that come with experience.

Shane Larkin played 26 MPG as a Freshman and Bruce Brown at 32 MPG this year. I'm not sure what George Evans played (if someone who has more free time then me wants to look go ahead) but I'm betting it was a lot of minutes too. Yes, these are exceptions but so is the scenario where better options weren't available on his teams.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pulling a Jablomi now huh? ;)

Ha! That was always Jablomi's go to when he didn't get his way.

Also, I remember a member of the boards had a private message discussion with him and mentioned something about meeting up for a CAA Tourney game at Richmond and Jablomi replied:

"Yea, I'll be at the coliseum around 3:30. I'll be the really fit jacked looking dude who looks like he works out by the ticket office, you can't miss me"

Whoever that Mason fan was posted the discussion on the old CAAzone public forums and the zone members from almost every school had a nice chuckle at that one.

I remember Tmac and Jablomi eventually turned on each other. Ahh good times.....

JBiggs

Starter
Freshman scoring stats adjusted per 40 and for pace:

Marquise Moore - 3.9 PPG
22 MPG - 7 points per 40 min
10.3 points per 100 poss

Sherrod Wright - 5.5 PPG
16.1 MPG - 13.6 points per 40 min
20.6 points per 100 poss

Bryon Allen - 1.4 PPG
5.8 MPG - 9.4 points per 40 min
14.7 per 100 poss

Ryan Pearson - 7 PPG
17.1 MPG - 16.4 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Mike Morrison - 4 PPG
10.8 MPG - 14.8 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Cam Long - 4.1 PPG
17.9 MPG - 9.2 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Folarin Campbell - 6.4 PPG
16.9 MPG - 15.1 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Will Thomas - 5.7 PPG
23 MPG - 9.9 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

John Vaughan - 7.5 PPG
23.4 MPG - 12.8 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Jai Lewis - 6.7 PPG
22.4 MPG - 12 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Lamar Butler - 10.4 PPG
25.6 MPG - 16.3 points per 40 min
no per 100 stats

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Ha! That was always Jablomi's go to when he didn't get his way.

Also, I remember a member of the boards had a private message discussion with him and mentioned something about meeting up for a CAA Tourney game at Richmond and Jablomi replied:

"Yea, I'll be at the coliseum around 3:30. I'll be the really fit jacked looking dude who looks like he works out by the ticket office, you can't miss me"

Whoever that Mason fan was posted the discussion on the old CAAzone public forums and the zone members from almost every school had a nice chuckle at that one.

I remember Tmac and Jablomi eventually turned on each other. Ahh good times.....

I think that was me as well.

If I recall my response was something along the lines of, "LOL! Sure, meet me by the bike racks beneath the flag pole after 5th period."

By George.

Starter
I get what you're saying but I also understand people's skepticism. Okoloji looked like LeBron at Kenner during his redshirt summer and turned out to be LeSuck.

Have to interject here. AO wasn't good at Kenner and continued to suck at Mason. He was nowhere near as impressive as AJ. It's not that we are trying to crown AJ too early, it's that he's the most athletic and versatile player at Kenner. Paulsen calls him the most athletic player in the A10.

Also, hearing great things about Greene early on.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Have to interject here. AO wasn't good at Kenner and continued to suck at Mason. He was nowhere near as impressive as AJ. It's not that we are trying to crown AJ too early, it's that he's the most athletic and versatile player at Kenner. Paulsen calls him the most athletic player in the A10.

Also, hearing great things about Greene early on.
I agree with the AO statement, he hussled his a** off in Kenner but by no means dominated games. AJ is on a whole new level.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

FreeGunston12

All-American
I agree with the AO statement, he hussled his a** off in Kenner but by no means dominated games. AJ is on a whole new level.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I just hesitate to be too high on a redshirt freshman. If he is that good, why did he redshirt? Needed to focus on academics? And don't tell me that he improved that much over the course of 1 year of practice. I think he will be a solid player for us, and he will give us some athleticism and rim protection that was sorely missed last year. But I don't expect him to have any more effect on games than Jaire, Otis, or any of our 3 sophomore wing players.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
People/Coaches always say that players typically make the biggest leap between their freshmen and sophomore years - no reason why a RS year can't do the same thing.

Players RS for a variety of reasons - focus on academics, nagging injuries, not ready to contribute, gain weight, etc. The fact that he rs'd does not mean he can't start at the 4 and be productive this year.

Jalen Jenkins rs'd and was pretty impactful as a RS freshmen. AJ is more athletic, and is a better shooter/shot blocker.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be better/more impactful/on par with Otis and Jaire, I think instead we are excited and optimistic to see what he can do.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just hesitate to be too high on a redshirt freshman. If he is that good, why did he redshirt? Needed to focus on academics? And don't tell me that he improved that much over the course of 1 year of practice. I think he will be a solid player for us, and he will give us some athleticism and rim protection that was sorely missed last year. But I don't expect him to have any more effect on games than Jaire, Otis, or any of our 3 sophomore wing players.

We don't need him to be all-conference his freshman year, but his length and athleticism should help mitigate some of our issues guarding the post (especially teams with bigger 4s) last year with our undersized lineups, that's where should be helpful.

I mean, like I said before, Kier averaged just over 5 PPG last year and he held the starting 4 spot for most of the season. With Otis, Jaire, Boyd, Newman, and Kier, we shouldn't need a ton of scoring out of our 4 or 5 spot, what we'll need is good defense and rebounding.