Kenner

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bring him back! I'm calling the last few years "the curse of the patriot". Think about it, the patriot is now associated with the virus, losing, poor attendance, and just horrible all around experience. Meanwhile Gunston is associated with a final 4 run that shocked the world. Hmm . . .

I love your completely objective view on this matter.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought when we moved to the a-10 Mason was going to change mascots again. I was guessing if a change was made that the administration would choose to have the mascot be an eagle. An eagle is patriotic symbol. Now with the stadium name change, it makes sense. And now with the stadium name change, an eagle mascot would have made sense, and perhaps there wouldn't have been as big of an uproar over the arena name change.

Frankly I would be prefer any mascot over our the Patriot. I wish our mascot was actually George Mason. In my mind the students are the patriots led by George Mason. The patriot platoon would make more sense and the rivalry with GW would make more sense.

Last edited:

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I thought when we moved to the a-10 Mason was going to change mascots again.before the patriot center was named eagle bank arena I actually thought our mascot should be an eagle. An eagle is patriotic symbol. Now with the stadium name change, it makes sense.

Frankly I would be prefer any mascot over our the patriot. I wish our mascot was actually George Mason. In my mind the students are the patriots led by George Mason. The patriot platoon would make more sense then. The rivalry with GW would make more sense.

I think this is one of the few points most of us agree on - our Mascot should be George Mason. Making him a lemon/lime version was a PC overreach so that the mascot was not "white".

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think this is one of the few points most of us agree on - our Mascot should be George Mason. Making him a lemon/lime version was a PC overreach so that the mascot was not "white".
Oh, come on. Really?

I like the Patriot.

JBiggs

Starter
Yeah, I don't have much interest in the mascot. The AD is in desperate need of a re-branding, though. I think a half-decent designer would faint at the sight of our portfolio, the most egregious element of which is the shooting star.

P

Patriot05

Spectator
They are trying to brand 'Mason' which I guess makes sense to avoid confusion with James Madison and GW

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I get it, but unless the school officially changes it's name to Mason University (which I do not support) then "Mason" completely confuses the rest of the country.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know it sounds like a trivial thing to be complaining about a mascot. But if its so trivial, why did go away from Gunston to begin with.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I get it, but unless the school officially changes it's name to Mason University (which I do not support) then "Mason" completely confuses the rest of the country.

How does the name Mason confuse the rest of the country? Not like anyone knows who George Mason is anyways.

I know people will get nit-picky with this response, but generally speaking world leaders/political figures are referred to by their last name.

Example (Obama, Hitler, Putin, Lincoln, Stalin, Nixon...)

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I know it sounds like a trivial thing to be complaining about a mascot. But if its so trivial, why did go away from Gunston to begin with.

These boards I think are largely the reason Gunston was put out to pasture. There was a lot of passion about not having a Sesame Street-looking amorphous character represent our school.

MasonCrew

Starter
I don't mind the Patriot - I as well don't understand the facepaint, but all white men are inherently evil apparently, so I guess that's why they choose that route.

I hate the shooting star. It reminds me of being in 5th grade.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I don't know why everyone on here dislikes the shooting star so much. It beats the hell out of the M/flag logo and the Declaration of Rights/seal logo. I do think they need to get rid of black part that says patriots underneath it though. I know it probably sounds like I have a problem with the name patriots at this point, but I don't. I just don't think we need it on the logo and that it is not aesthetically pleasing to have both Mason and Patriots on the logo. I can't think of another school that has both the school name and mascot name on their logo.

Edit: upon second review, this one is pretty cool
pew_logo.png

Last edited: