Kenner

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I know it sounds like a trivial thing to be complaining about a mascot. But if its so trivial, why did go away from Gunston to begin with.

Well...it's not a very well known secret outside the Athletic Dept. and one that they've tried to completely hide w/the leaving of TOC and Larranaga, but the truth is there was an incident at the Final Four.

The truth is Gunston was repeatedly sodomized and fisted after the MSU and UNC games. At first, it was thought that this was a revenge attack and Gunston was a victim.

After the "Wichita Incident though, as it later became known as, it appeared to be a trend and the decision was made that certain proclivities made Gunston unsuitable as a University representative.

1200px-Sparty.jpg

unctarheelsmascot-copy1.jpg

wichita-state-mascot.jpg

FreeGunston12

All-American
I think people dislike because it's f*cking ugly?
To quote my buddy:
I love your completely objective view on this matter.

I understand people dislike it and think that is ugly. I am asking why.

Personally I think it would look better flipped so that the star is on the left side of the logo and 'Mason' name, but I understand that the victor in art usually moves from left to right hence the trail showing that directional movement.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
what are your thoughts on these. I posted this before but it seems fitting to post again

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't mind the Patriot - I as well don't understand the facepaint, but all white men are inherently evil apparently, so I guess that's why they choose that route.

I hate the shooting star. It reminds me of being in 5th grade.

I believe the thinking goes like this: George Mason is the Patriots. Mel Gibson played "The Patriot." Mel Gibson also played William Wallace of the blue and white face paint ergo a green and gold face-painted Mel Gibson is a "Patriot."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know why everyone on here dislikes the shooting star so much. It beats the hell out of the M/flag logo and the Declaration of Rights/seal logo. I do think they need to get rid of black part that says patriots underneath it though. I know it probably sounds like I have a problem with the name patriots at this point, but I don't. I just don't think we need it on the logo and that it is not aesthetically pleasing to have both Mason and Patriots on the logo. I can't think of another school that has both the school name and mascot name on their logo.

Edit: upon second review, this one is pretty cool
pew_logo.png

I think that looks fairly awful as a collegiate athletics logo.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
what are your thoughts on these. I posted this before but it seems fitting to post again
We need something that works at all sizes, so we need something simpler than these (the current logo has the same problems). The only one that might work is the one on the lower left.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe the thinking goes like this: George Mason is the Patriots. Mel Gibson played "The Patriot." Mel Gibson also played William Wallace of the blue and white face paint ergo a green and gold face-painted Mel Gibson is a "Patriot."
There was a rumor that they were going to name the mascot "Mel" at one point early on....

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Has anyone been this excited for the season to start before?

Probably more excitement before the 2010-2011 season, at least for me. That was the first "real reload" year with legit recruits post Final Four IMO with the 6 man class and KRAM being able to get to the floor together.

Regardless, I suspect the enthusiasm will only grow if the team does well this year, as 2018-2019 should be real fun.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Has anyone been this excited for the season to start before?

Not speaking for anyone else, but a few years of Hewitt ball has made me truly appreciative of what it feels like to be optimistic and excited about the team's chances.

Dave is building something for the long haul here. Unless something goes terribly wrong, this season should be just the beginning of the second golden era of Mason basketball.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just looking at pictures it seems Otis looks 5 years older and much more muscle. He definitely hit us growth spurt LOL

I thought the same thing too. They all looked a lot more jacked. Props to Handerahan and the rest of the strength and conditioning crew. Looks like all the Field House renovations and equipment upgrades paid its dividends.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought the same thing too. They all looked a lot more jacked. Props to Handerahan and the rest of the strength and conditioning crew. Looks like all the Field House renovations and equipment upgrades paid its dividends.
Had a chat with Otis and Grayer at Kenner with the ByGeorge guys. They said there is a emphasis from Paulsen on lifting more this off season to start the season in shape.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk