Game 26: #12 ranked St. Louis, Feb 19th, 7 PM, NBCSN

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
PMP, when you feel no allegiance to any team you can't understand the psychology of fandom. My guess is you show up to the PC tomorrow pulling for St. Louis to win because it is better for the A10 that they remain unbeaten (you know I'm right just admit it).

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The only way Paul Hewitt coached GMU wins games in the A-10 is if their offense is nearly flawless (UMass) or their opponents offense is inept. (Duquesne) Not much room for error - neither will occur against the Billikens. St. Louis by 12.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I motion we no longer have prediction threads about opponents. Instead, we should be researching for an entire new coaching staff.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think your coaching recommendation/endorsement privileges have been revoked.

Hugh, no matter how many old threads or comments you dredge up with your expert cut-and-paste skills, I never once recommended that we hire Hewitt. In fact, it never even dawned on me that he'd be available. I did suggest we hire Courtney, so feel free to cut-and-paste that here if it makes you feel better.

After Hewitt was hired, I fully admit to endorsing the move, much like I did when my Redskins hired Mike Shanahan. Sometimes as fans we want to win so much we convince ourselves something is going to work out even when history indicates otherwise. I am guilty as charged in both cases.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
PMP, when you feel no allegiance to any team you can't understand the psychology of fandom. My guess is you show up to the PC tomorrow pulling for St. Louis to win because it is better for the A10 that they remain unbeaten (you know I'm right just admit it).

If you go back to the beginning of this string you will see that I picked G Mas to win 61-57. I definitely don't "cheer" at games. I watch.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Hugh, no matter how many old threads or comments you dredge up with your expert cut-and-paste skills, I never once recommended that we hire Hewitt. In fact, it never even dawned on me that he'd be available. I did suggest we hire Courtney, so feel free to cut-and-paste that here if it makes you feel better.

After Hewitt was hired, I fully admit to endorsing the move, much like I did when my Redskins hired Mike Shanahan. Sometimes as fans we want to win so much we convince ourselves something is going to work out even when history indicates otherwise. I am guilty as charged in both cases.

Lighten up Francis - it was a joke.

If it makes you feel better, I was excited about Westhead so mine aren't much better.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If it makes you feel better, I was excited about Westhead so mine aren't much better.

I admit to not having a good track record with my predictions about Mason coaches and players over the years, because I want all of them to be great. That's why I can look at a highlight reel of Okoloji and convince myself he's going to be an all-conference player when the reality is he's too slow and awkward to use any of the skills he does have to his advantage.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
This post explains everything we need to know about you.

Jim. I like G Mas. I went there. I just don't cheer like others do. There are a lot of people like me that go and just watch the games.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
When you watch the games, are you silently rooting for Mason to win?

Of course. Mrs. Profit and I both hold degrees from G Mas and enjoy going to the games.

Last edited by a moderator:

corpkid

Four-star Recruit
they average a little less than 71 points a game this season. No chance we keep them below 80.
Us 65
Them 81

JBiggs

Starter
I think G Mas wins this one. I also think this will be the last win for G Mas. G Mas will single-handedly turn the A10 into a 4-bid conference rather than a 5- or 6-bid conference due to this win. That will be what G Mas hangs it hat on for the 2013-14 season.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
We've been giving up 79 ppg in A10 play. Our defense is horrendous. Hewitt is supposed to be "defense minded". We don't have the type of high-powered/efficient offense to beat teams game in, game out giving up nearly 80 ppg. This team has a lot of problems, and defense is most definitely one of the big ones.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I think G Mas wins this one. I also think this will be the last win for G Mas. G Mas will single-handedly turn the A10 into a 4-bid conference rather than a 5- or 6-bid conference due to this win. That will be what G Mas hangs it hat on for the 2013-14 season.

Love the use of "G Mas".

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We've been giving up 79 ppg in A10 play. Our defense is horrendous. Hewitt is supposed to be "defense minded". We don't have the type of high-powered/efficient offense to beat teams game in, game out giving up nearly 80 ppg. This team has a lot of problems, and defense is most definitely one of the big ones.

Even Coach K couldn't turn this group of players into a good defensive team. They are simply too lacking in foot speed to consistently stay between even moderately athletic opponents and the basket.

That said, a good coach would've figured that out a long time ago and adapted until he found something that was at least passable.

The only chance this team has is to play zone for 40 minutes. Is that a perfect solution? No. We're not great in zone, either. But continuing to stubbornly insist on playing man-to-man and expecting a better result is just stupid.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Like at St. Louis, we'll probably spend a lot of time playing zone. This may keep them to under 80 points only because they'll pass the ball 3 times before scoring on us as opposed to our man defense which generally requires zero or one pass before scoring. BA and PH were out of their minds last game against these guys and we still lost. Good chance St. Louis will come in prepared to stop those 2 and not let them get off. That means ______ and _______ will step up to pick up the offensive load. Long explanation long, we lose this game by double digits in an atmosphere that makes the Dayton game look like Mardi Gras.