Game 19: GMU (11-7 / 4-1) vs St. Louis (14-6 / 5-2) on Wednesday, February 2, at 7PM.

Irish44j

Sixth Man
Lost it at the line…Probably a product of fatigue….That said you can’t grab the net and pull on it when the ball is bouncing on the rim.
perhaps, but their guys hit their free throws and I'm sure they were just as tired. The net thing....whatever. We all know that ball was going in 100% and that would have been a silly technicality call if they called it. I hate that GMU lost, but don't want to win on some BS meaningless call, honestly.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This is an annoying loss. Yeah, I agree with all the comments above about how great we played, the comeback, the fight in this team.

But if we make our FTs, we win. Make. The. Free Throws. Teams are going to start fouling us late in the game and realize that this is a team that won't make free throws in the clutch. When it's 5 seconds left up 2 and you go to the line for 2... I want to be confident that we are going to make our free throws... not nervous as hell hoping we make them

This team will not go far in the a10 tournament if we do not make simple things like free throws. End of story.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"These are games you have to win when you're in pursuit of a conference championship, which we are," head coach Kim English said. "We give a lot of credit to Saint Louis, a team we have great respect for. It was a tough, physical game and they came out on top. It's a disappointing loss, but I'm incredibly proud of our guys for their fight."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
19-28 is our free throw stat line. Smh. 17 turnovers 5 xj, 5 Coop, 4 Josh.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I love the chippiness in KE after the game. He’s pissed. I want my coaches like that and not the sad puppy dog demeanor.

Nothing I can really add that hasn’t been said. If we had the XJ from St Joes or UMass, we win that game. You could literally see him lose confidence with each turnover/mistake. It was hard to watch. Everyone has bad games, you would just love to have a bench where you could pull a guy who is having a rough night.

The free throws were another head scratcher. It just seems like it’s a mental thing that once they start not falling, it gets in their heads. It’s very difficult to replicate that pressure in a practice where you get yourself out of that mental negativity - hopefully we have a sports psychologist that can help get our minds right when things start going wrong.

The positives are it’s just one game. The guys battled and fought. The program is definitely on an upswing and things are only going to get better. We deservingly bashed Paulsen when he said it was a two year season (or something to that effect) a few years ago, but if there was ever such a thing, this team might be it. For as good a recruiter KE is, one of his biggest tasks might be recruiting Cooper to come back for another year. I can’t wait to see these guys back with a legit bench to go with it.

We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday with another 4-6 coming this morning, so I’ll have plenty of time to watch this one again… not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Few Notes:

Thanks to Patriot99 I got to enjoy the 2nd half with floor seats. My man.

1. This was probably the most entertaining game I've been to in 10 years. Reminds me of the early-mid 2000s era at the TerrorDome with the amount of energy and effort from the team. Great game and kids can keep their heads high.

2. Our baseball team and women's LAX teams brought their teams out and brought much needed energy 2nd half. They really need to get all mason sports teams involved and get them to the games.... this is the best we have been in 8-9 years playing at home. The assistant baseball coach got the baseball team standing and engaged most of the 2nd half. Need more of this!!!

3. Not to beat a dead horse but we HAVE to make our FT's and be better than 80% each night to put teams away. So many missed oppty's to put it away at the line.

4. Double OT... Oduro, Coop and others were just gassed. Could tell they were so tired but gave it their all nonstop. They really wanted this one.

5. XJ.... Ugh. Just can't turn the ball over in crucial moments, we need Coop or Gaines bringing the ball up in those moments. He whiffed on a bunch of layups that are just head scratching. Not gonna beat this to death as we all know we need a PG.... Dinkins will hopefully be our savior.

6. St. Louis is young.... they will be much improved next year and will be a tough game moving forward. Need to look at improving perimeter D on them. Didn't think they would make as many 3's as they did.

This one hurts but we can play with anyone and can certainly beat Davidson. Future is bright.... keep grinding.
No problem. Of course since we didn't pull out the win it means you don't get the seat again :)

Incredible game. Refs didn't determine this one, but biggest call of the game to me was us up 5 in the first OT and it sure looked like Josh took a charge, but they called it a block/and one. That one whistle changed the game from us up 5 with the ball to us only up 2. We see how the rest played out.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No problem. Of course since we didn't pull out the win it means you don't get the seat again :)

Incredible game. Refs didn't determine this one, but biggest call of the game to me was us up 5 in the first OT and it sure looked like Josh took a charge, but they called it a block/and one. That one whistle changed the game from us up 5 with the ball to us only up 2. We see how the rest played out.
My guess is that the Refs couldn't possibly bring themselves to call a charge three times in a row. Even if the call goes against Mason, it makes the outcome easier to swallow if it's the correct one. Clearly it was charge #3. It is my contention, however, that bad calls are overcome by championship teams. Mason is not quite there... but getting closer.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love the chippiness in KE after the game. He’s pissed. I want my coaches like that and not the sad puppy dog demeanor.

Nothing I can really add that hasn’t been said. If we had the XJ from St Joes or UMass, we win that game. You could literally see him lose confidence with each turnover/mistake. It was hard to watch. Everyone has bad games, you would just love to have a bench where you could pull a guy who is having a rough night.

The free throws were another head scratcher. It just seems like it’s a mental thing that once they start not falling, it gets in their heads. It’s very difficult to replicate that pressure in a practice where you get yourself out of that mental negativity - hopefully we have a sports psychologist that can help get our minds right when things start going wrong.

The positives are it’s just one game. The guys battled and fought. The program is definitely on an upswing and things are only going to get better. We deservingly bashed Paulsen when he said it was a two year season (or something to that effect) a few years ago, but if there was ever such a thing, this team might be it. For as good a recruiter KE is, one of his biggest tasks might be recruiting Cooper to come back for another year. I can’t wait to see these guys back with a legit bench to go with it.

We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday with another 4-6 coming this morning, so I’ll have plenty of time to watch this one again… not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing.
Lots of coaches will claim "our guys never quit...they really battled and gave it all they had." It's what you HAVE to say as a coach, but clearly it is not always true. However, this team does appear to be giving max effort almost all of the time. With two (2) exceptions (the Nevada and ODU games) all the games we have lost have been close (I'm calling our loss @Kansas as close). And those two bad losses were when we were playing guys (well, one player in particular) out of position.

Our two losses in the A10 have been by a total of 3 pts. Lots to feel good about going into Saturday's game.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

LOL. Only if we can sacrifice a live chicken pregame. Jobu needs his strength.

Refs did a solid job majority of the game, we witnessed that last charge in which it felt like slow motion to me, had a split second notion he was going to call a block on us because we we just received 2 charge calls back to back prior.... no way he was going to call a 3rd charge in my mind... but he should have as it what it was. Can't let the flow of the game dictate your calls... need to call it as is.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I did witness KE chew Malik's booty out in the first half when a timeout was called and he was walking back to the team huddle. Can't remember what he did, may of been the missed layup under the basket or may of missed a defensive assignment for easy bucket but that is the first time I've seen KE get visibly angry and yell. It wasn't a pretty sight. Seems more of a frustration yell at him but he was pissed.

I think the coaching staff is really trying hard to develop Malik and the fact he's having struggles with game play at times is probably the emotional factor stemming.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I did witness KE chew Malik's booty out in the first half when a timeout was called and he was walking back to the team huddle. Can't remember what he did, may of been the missed layup under the basket or may of missed a defensive assignment for easy bucket but that is the first time I've seen KE get visibly angry and yell. It wasn't a pretty sight. Seems more of a frustration yell at him but he was pissed.

I think the coaching staff is really trying hard to develop Malik and the fact he's having struggles with game play at times is probably the emotional factor stemming.
Inconsistency drives coaches crazy, especially with guys who have the raw tools to work with. Both Malik and Otis fall into this category, they’re obviously athletic enough to contribute in the A-10 but you never know what you’re gonna get from them one game to the next. Can’t imagine how frustrating that must be for the coaches.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

The missed layup would have made sense. He was way too far under the basket to try that and he had an angle to pass it back out.