Game 19: GMU (11-7 / 4-1) vs St. Louis (14-6 / 5-2) on Wednesday, February 2, at 7PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Get your a$$ to EBA. There is something special happening in Fairfax this winter!!!!!

St. Louis is currently 14-6 and 5-2 on the season. They are 10-3 at home, 2-3 on the road, and 2-0 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 4-8 as a member of the A10 against the Billikens.

Wins: Central Arkansas, Harris-Stowe, Eastern Illinois, Mercer, Illinois St., Stephen F. Austin, Boise St., Boston College, Richmond, Iona, Fordham, UMass, GW,
Losses: Memphis, UAB, Belmont, Auburn, Dayton, UMass,
Canceled/Postponed: Drake

Schedule: https://slubillikens.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://slubillikens.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://slubillikens.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021/pdf

St. Louis is led by 6’5” Gibson Jimerson (18.4 ppg), 6’0” Yuri Collins (10.2 ppg & 4.0 reb), 6’6” Jordan Nesbitt (9.6 ppg &4.7 reb), 6’9” Francis Okoro (9.6 ppg & 7.6 reb), and 6’8” Marten Lissen (9.0 ppg & 4.2 reb). 6’3” Fred Thatch (6.9 ppg) and 6’4” Terrence Hargrove Jr. (8.2 ppg) have also started for St. Louis. 5’11” DeAndre Jones averages double figure minutes off the bench.

St. Louis averages 79.5 points per game while giving up 67.5. The Billikens shoot 46.1% from the floor and 36.4% from 3. Opponents are shooting 41.1% from the field and 31.1% from 3. They shoot 76.9% from the free throw line. The Billikens out rebound opponents by 7.3 boards per game. They average 13.0 turnovers per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: They are 2-3 on the road. We have learned how to win at home to the tune of 8-1. Captain Obvious says slow down/stop Jimerson (46-104 from 3) and we win. D'Shawn Schwartz dominates..... GMU 75 - Billikens 68. We move to 5-1 in A10 play. The Billikens return home to the state of "Misery" defeated.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
What kind of f’n psychopath names their child Gibson Jimerson, anyway? With a name like that, you know he’s destined to grow up to be the dude who asks for tables for one at Chuckie Cheese.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is a massive game if we want to be a contender for a top 4 seed.

The way I see it: you’ve got 1, probably 2 locks in Davidson and vcu. And then you’ve got probably 5 potential teams vying for the other two spots: Dayton, Bona, SLU, Mason, Richmond (even if they are currently two games back).

Mason has beaten Dayton, and Bona and don’t have to return those games, so we would hold the tiebreaker against them. SLU is the same, this is the only time these two teams play in the regular season. Beat them at home and we will hold the tiebreaker over 3 of the other 4 teams fighting for the last two spots in the top 4.

Still a long way to go with 6 road games left. And we all know anything can happen on the road. But it also feels good to know you are legit in the conversation right now.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Kenpom has us finishing 10-6, at least with the present games scheduled. That would place us 5th behind Davidson, vcu, SLU, Dayton, with a lower winning % than the latter 2.

They have us with Home losses to SLU and vcu, so the game on Wednesday could change that calculus. The other 3 projected road losses are Richmond, vcu, and Davidson.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He’s from Richmond area. Maybe his parents are vcu arts grads
Jimerson played at St. Chris before transferring to Monteverde, so far more likely his family has ties to UR than vcu. He counts as a big miss for both of them though — nobody expected him to be this good.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oduro has a chance against an under the radar top 3 A10
Big Okoro. Former Oregon player who is absolutely huge physically and finishes really well around the rim. If we get him off the court they have an absolute meathead Linssen who comes in that Oduro should take to school

Keeping Collins from penetrating will be a major game plan from CKE and XJ needs to be fully good to go. The Jimerson- Schwartz matchup could be fireworks. Super excited for this game as I love St Louis’ roster and this will be a major test to see how for real we are in the conference. Beating Bona and Dayton and now St Louis would put us right there with vcu and Davidson in my opinion.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Two tickets for Wednesday in 115 (you can likely move down) free. Just PM me your name and e-mail address and they are yours.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Oduro has a chance against an under the radar top 3 A10
Big Okoro. Former Oregon player who is absolutely huge physically and finishes really well around the rim. If we get him off the court they have an absolute meathead Linssen who comes in that Oduro should take to school

I see this as a chance for Malik to shine as well. If he can duplicate his stat line at UMASS (14 Min., 3-4 FGA, 6 pts, 3 REB, 1 BLK, 1 PF) it provides some quality bench minutes and rest for the starters.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I see this as a chance for Malik to shine as well. If he can duplicate his stat line at UMASS (14 Min., 3-4 FGA, 6 pts, 3 REB, 1 BLK, 1 PF) it provides some quality bench minutes and rest for the starters.

Agreed. I also loved his post move that he showed yesterday that he obviously has been working on. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I would love to see him turn into a very capable backup behind Oduro.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oduro getting in foul trouble last game turns out to be a blessing in disguise:

*We find a way to win when he’s having an off night. Yes I know it was UMASS but encouraging nonetheless.

*Oduro gets some much needed rest to help his tendinitis.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Little known fact about SLU:

The founder of the University was named Bill Grassley. Contrary to the University’s website, the origin of the Billiken is a bizarre one to say the least.

The Grassley family was notorious for inbreeding. With cousins marrying cousins (and in many cases even worse), each subsequent generation produced increasingly odd deformities and other serious medical conditions. In 1934, the Grassley family gave birth to an extremely deformed child named Jimerson. He had pointy ears, extremely pale skin and disproportionately large feet.

The Billiken

Thinking that the baby would just outgrow the strange features, the family hid the existence of Jimerson until these features were less pronounced to save him from a childhood filled with ridicule.

However as time went on the strange features did not subside. In fact they became even more pronounced. Occasionally, Jimerson would escape the house and he would be seen by his neighbors. The child became folklore and legends grew of his existence. They referred to him as “Bill’s kin” referring to Bill Grassley. It eventually evolved to what we know today as the “Billiken”.

While the Grassley family has been notoriously tight-lipped on this issue, you be the judge.Was their mascot based on Jimerson Grassley?: #JusticeForJimerson

Billiken backlash: SLU will redesign mascot again | Billiken Beat |  stltoday.com

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What kind of f’n psychopath names their child Gibson Jimerson, anyway? With a name like that, you know he’s destined to grow up to be the dude who asks for tables for one at Chuckie Cheese.
No no no you have it all wrong. He plays the washboard in Chuck’s band.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
St. Louis has been all over the place, very inconsistent team.

Goodguys 73
Michelin Man crossbreeds with Stay Puft Marshmallow Man 68