Game 15: GMU (7-7/ 0-1) vs Dayton (12-6 / 4-1) on Saturday, January 22 , at 7PM.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
XJ played like shit. Refused to come to the ball so many of times. My entire section was yelling for his head and they kept him in with Polite with most rotations. Amazing we won turning the ball over so much but we got that W.

Hartwell on the bench did not look pleased and barely cheered for his teammates on the court. We may have seen the last of Hartwell since Polite is back full time now.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Good win. We back-doored this one. And good to see Oduro (even with a brace on his knee).

Not sure what to think of Blake. Asked a Mason-alum buddy of mine what he thinks about Jones and he feels like it's too early to judge. While he's right, we usually see some indication that a freshman will develop into a starter early on. We saw it with Jai Lewis, Butler, Cam Long, Marquise Moore, Kier, Hancock, Sherrod Wright, Jalen Jenkins, etc.

Maybe Blake can make a big jump next year (I'm hopeful) but I don't get him getting minutes over Frazier the rest of the way. Sure, he's KE's guy but nobody can convince me Jones bring smore to the table than Otis Frazier at present.
Otis didn’t play at all tonight. He is not part of the rotation and hasn’t been for most of the season. So it’s strange to think he’ll be any factor in whether Blake gets minutes or not. Blake is playing out of necessity at this point because the rest of the bench is so tragically awful.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
The reporter in question has been asking awful questions all year long. Every press conference he asks something that has me scratching my head. I always wonder if the legit media just cringes as soon as he opens his mouth.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The reporter in question has been asking awful questions all year long. Every press conference he asks something that has me scratching my head. I always wonder if the legit media just cringes as soon as he opens his mouth.
Anybody got a link?

JPgmuswim

Starter
Where was Hartwell? I cringe watching Polite shoot the ball
We were up by 4 with a 1:30 left and I was yelling at my TV, pass the ball, anybody but Polite should be shooting the next shot. Of course he shoots and misses, Dayton goes down the court and makes it a 2 point game. That shot along with XJ’s Free throws almost cost us.

Polite was 0/4 from the field tonight.
XJ was 0/3 from the line including the missed 1 with under 6 seconds. He also had 6 turnovers.

A win is a win.
Dayton was 4-1 in conference losing to vcu by 1 and has beaten the Bonnies, St. Louis. They also have wins against Virginia Tech, Miami, and Kansas. They aren’t a bad team.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
What about Schwartz playing PG in spots. He can handle the ball and is a smart player. I envision him in a similar role as Hancock.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Good ugly win. Found this nugget in the write-up interesting.
“The 50-49 victory marked Mason's lowest scoring output in a win since a 48-45 victory over Boston University on November 24, 2012.”

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Where was Hartwell? I cringe watching Polite shoot the ball
On the bench where he belongs. I cringe watching both Polite (33.3%) and Hartwell (27.6%) shoot bricks but at least Polite can occasionally get to the rim. Hartwell is also abused by anyone and everyone when he tries to play D. In a nutshell that sums up the team. We're 4.5 players deep with nothing on the bench.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
XJ played like shit. Refused to come to the ball so many of times. My entire section was yelling for his head and they kept him in with Polite with most rotations. Amazing we won turning the ball over so much but we got that W.

Hartwell on the bench did not look pleased and barely cheered for his teammates on the court. We may have seen the last of Hartwell since Polite is back full time now.

If you are talking about the end of the game, there were a couple of instances when XJ was just being held and the refs didn’t call it (which might have been good for us considering how
He was shooting FTs last night).

I thought he played OK. Better in the second half. Had a couple of really nice dishes where the shots didn’t fall (could have had 6 or 7 assists instead of 4). Big rebounding night, including a couple of important ones. That missed FT hurt, but so did Cooper’s right before him (and Oduro and Polite missing layups).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If you are talking about the end of the game, there were a couple of instances when XJ was just being held and the refs didn’t call it (which might have been good for us considering how
He was shooting FTs last night).

I thought he played OK. Better in the second half. Had a couple of really nice dishes where the shots didn’t fall (could have had 6 or 7 assists instead of 4). Big rebounding night, including a couple of important ones. That missed FT hurt, but so did Cooper’s right before him (and Oduro and Polite missing layups).
"OK" sums up XJ so well. There are going to be times where he gets downhill or does something amazing, and then the next time he passes it out of bounds or dribbles it off his leg.

For now, hes about the best we got at that PG position and hes a nice piece. Its obviously an area that needs to be upgraded but it is what it is for now. But he also defends decently and rebounds well. 7 boards last night.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
What about Schwartz playing PG in spots. He can handle the ball and is a smart player. I envision him in a similar role as Hancock.
Brilliant! Force him into a position he’s not suited for while simultaneously moving him out of the position he plays better than anyone else on the roster.

How have you not been offered a D1 head coaching job yet w/those insights? Maybe we can get Oduro running the point when he’s on the bench.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I rate Coach English's performance as an "A+". He just needs to start injecting some humor when he gets inane questions.
Eh I’d prefer him making the unpleased faces to these stupid questions. Have to wonder if it’s that Daniel kid on Twitter has he may have less basketball knowledge than GSII.
Even if Dinkins is bad next year he will still be an upgrade over Polite who is one of the worst minute earners in the A10. So bad

Don’t get the XJ hate especially when there is absolutely nobody behind him worth a scholarship