Game 15: GMU (7-7/ 0-1) vs Dayton (12-6 / 4-1) on Saturday, January 22 , at 7PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Dayton is currently 12-6 and 4-1 on the season. They are 7-4 at home, 2-2 on the road, and 3-0 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 2 - 7 as a member of the A10 against the Flyers.

Wins: UIC, Miami, Kansas, Belmont, Alabama St., Northern Illinois, Va Tech, Southern, GW, St. Louis, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure
Losses: Mass Lowell, Lipscomb, Austin Peay, SMU, Ole Miss, vcu,
Canceled/Posponed: Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure,

Schedule: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats

Dayton is led by 6’10” DaRon Holmes II (11.6 ppg & 5.5 reb), 6’8” Toumani Camara (10.3 ppg & 6.7 reb), and 6’0” Malachi Smith (10.0 ppg & 4.1 reb). 6’6” RJ Blakeny (6.6 ppg) has started all 17 games for the Flyers. 6’6” Elijah Weaver (7.8 ppg), 6’2” Kobe Elvis (7.5 ppg), and 6’6” Koby Brea (6.9 ppg) have all started at times this season. Mustapha Amzil (6.2 ppg) averages about 19 minutes per game off the bench.

Dayton averages 69.9 points per game while giving up 61.8. The Flyers shoot 48.7% from the floor and 34.8% from 3. Opponents are shooting 41.5% from the field and 32.4% from 3. They shoot 68.9% from the free throw line. The Flyers are currently out rebounding their opponents by 6.7 boards per game. They average 14.1 turnovers per game.

The game is on MASN.

My prediction: ZERO confidence after the GW debacle and questions about Oduro’s health. We have had little success against the Flyers, will this game signal a change in the times? Simply put, NO. Dayton has had some head scratching losses early but also have some quality wins. I expect a low scoring affair. Flyers 69 - GMU 56.

Discuss.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Great timing as always. Game starts right in the middle of the two NFL playoff games. :mad:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton is young talented and sorta well coached. Hopefully mason at least looks like they belong with them. Going to be a tough one though.

Dayton 75
Mason 66

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not much to be excited about here after that epic collapse against shitty GW. Guys need to step the F up all around. XJ needs to play like a junior instead of a freshman and take care of the ball and stop jacking up dumb shots. He should be the last resort for shooting the ball.

Red Wagons 71
Goodguys 64

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not much to be excited about here after that epic collapse against shitty GW. Guys need to step the F up all around. XJ needs to play like a junior instead of a freshman and take care of the ball and stop jacking up dumb shots. He should be the last resort for shooting the ball.

Red Wagons 71
Goodguys 64
XJ one v one was a matchup nightmare for GW. We can shit on him for the 2 bad shots but he also torched the dude for 6 pts and 2 assists with iso ball. Brayon Freeman (DP's prized recruit that chose GW) was getting absolutely smoked... but CKE kept it up when they benched him for a longer guard down the stretch. Gameplan was very clearly to let XJ go 1 v 1 so that isn't on the kid. Yes, when he shoots 3's I puke but he is showing aggressiveness we haven't seen in over a year

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
We've got'em right where we want them. I say we surprise them - may not win, but it will be closer than they think it will be! (ok, maybe I'm just hyping myself up)

George Mason Patriots GIF by MasonHoopsBlog

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton is working Bona right now. Our only shot is they have a huge letdown because they are really playing well.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We've got'em right where we want them. I say we surprise them - may not win, but it will be closer than they think it will be! (ok, maybe I'm just hyping myself up)

George Mason Patriots GIF by MasonHoopsBlog
I hope you are correct - and though the Maryland game was a blast, we have since learned the Terrapins aren't very good. It was tough not to think that Mason could compete with the top of the A-10 after 4 games. Now just hoping KE can continue to bring in sold recruits and GMU will be at or near top of league in the seasons to come. Still, yesterday's loss was ridiculous. Just hope they play smart for 40 against Dayton.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think we see Oduro and a different mind set from players AND COACH.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope you are correct - and though the Maryland game was a blast, we have since learned the Terrapins aren't very good. It was tough not to think that Mason could compete with the top of the A-10 after 4 games. Now just hoping KE can continue to bring in sold recruits and GMU will be at or near top of league in the seasons to come. Still, yesterday's loss was ridiculous. Just hope they play smart for 40 against Dayton.
It's sort of a Catch-22 (Yossarian). We need top recruits to win. But if you don't win first, they may not come. My fear is that if KE doesn't start winning soon, the sheen will wear off and he'll be just another young coach out there trying to make his mark. Lost among the other 350+ coaches.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton takes down Bona tonight by 18...it's not looking good for us.
Why the doom and gloom? Schmidt doesn't sub...at all. Did you see how tired they looked in 2nd half?? Dayton had it easy and thus it looked easy.