Game 14: GMU (11-2 / 0-0) at La Salle (9-4 / 0-0) on Wednesday, January 3, at 6:30 PM.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
The Patriots including Hall at times look tentative...settling for quick 3 point shots..nervous at the foul line.. not getting to rim..giving up the ball.

However, they flipped the script in the second..getting to paint for easy buckets..playing with energy on the defensive end..limiting Lasalle to one shot...imposing their will on the explorers..

Great road win..
Huge change in 2nd half with guys on court. Not going to say what changed because people on here will spin it, but those who know, know. Its same issue that has killed mason in past. Tony has gone out and made sure to make the recruiting adjustments. They had a great 2nd half!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I said that mason needed to lockdown defensively to have a chance.

Well they definitely did. Gotta play a full 40 minutes a night in this league. But to win big on the road is something I definitely will take.

Just an awesome effort all around. 12-2 and let’s keep it going.

masonhoops1984

Role Player

Well they definitely did. Gotta play a full 40 minutes a night in this league. But to win big on the road is something I definitely will take.

Is this by design to stay out of Foul Trouble? It's interesting... They definitely bring it more In the 2nd half.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah, the slow starts seem to have been a trademark for quite a few years. Need to fix that.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Love that coach Skinn stuck with the hot lineup and made minimal substitutions in the second half. Too many coaches get cute but he understood if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
He did make one huge change and it dramatically changed the flow of the game. Hall wasn’t bringing the ball up the floor anymore and he wasn’t forced to make as many dangerous passes. Credit to the young kid playing pg for stepping up and handling the point!

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The team defense on this squad is just bananas. When they lockdown on an opponent, Mason just seems to be able to will teams into submission.

Hall is just fantastic and will continue to cut down on the turnovers as the season goes on.

And Maddox …. Wow, scored 8 points in a span of less than a minute to just rip the heart out of La Salle.

Everyone here just needs to come to terms with the fact that we have a really good, possibly great team in Fairfax. Let’s not let baggage from the previous decade stop us from dreaming big. We have Tony Skinn now!

Yes I said it, we’re good!

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The team defense on this squad is just bananas. When they lockdown on an opponent, Mason just seems to be able to will teams into submission.

Hall is just fantastic and will continue to cut down on the turnovers as the season goes on.

And Maddox …. Wow, scored 8 points in a span of less than a minute to just rip the heart out of La Salle.

Everyone here just needs to come to terms with the fact that we have a really good, possibly great team in Fairfax. Let’s not let baggage from the previous decade stop us from dreaming big. We have Tony Skinn now!

Yes I said it, we’re good!
You are right about that D. They simply blanket guys, contest at the rim...
Plus, I loved how easily we kept breaking the press tonight.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
You are right about that D. They simply blanket guys, contest at the rim...
Plus, I loved how easily we kept breaking the press tonight.
This team never takes defensive plays off. The other key factor is Skinn knows when to pull the correct strings. It’s actually amazing watching especially with a whole new group of players. Huge credit to staff and players for buying in!

hoops10

Sixth Man
I think one big change came when coach replaced Polite with Baraka. No disrespect to RP, but he was not getting to the basket., nor playing tight defense. This kid Baraka comes in and wow. HE is as good a freshmen as I can remember. His energy, toughness, court awareness is amazing. Kid has no fear. Last game RP was the man, but tonight this kid just took over.

Congrats to coach TS. I think coach Laranaga must have a big smile about now.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Im trilled for the win tonight, but why did La Salle have to loose to Howard? Makes me not as impressed tonight.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
I think one big change came when coach replaced Polite with Baraka. No disrespect to RP, but he was not getting to the basket., nor playing tight defense. This kid Baraka comes in and wow. HE is as good a freshmen as I can remember. His energy, toughness, court awareness is amazing. Kid has no fear. Last game RP was the man, but tonight this kid just took over.

Congrats to coach TS. I think coach Laranaga must have a big smile about now.
Exactly! Figured I would let someone else point it out but it was exactly what I was referencing I just left it more discrete on purpose. Some on here would misread it though if I said it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Im trilled for the win tonight, but why did La Salle have to loose to Howard? Makes me not as impressed tonight.
I don’t think it’s “wooo we beat lasalle” it’s more the manner.

The fact that mason was nearly ran out of the gym in half one and then locked in and blew them out was something special.

Yeah lasalle isn’t great. But a road game in conference is never easy. We won in convincing fashion and not a buzzer beater fluke or anything. :)

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Lol, that used to be me. Might still be. Tick.Tick.Tick. :ROFLMAO:
It’s amazing what happens when you have all 5 players going together doing what they are best at. I know it’s probably still a hard concept for some, especially after watching the last 10 years of Mason hoops.
I don’t think it’s “wooo we beat lasalle” it’s more the manner.

The fact that mason was nearly ran out of the gym in half one and then locked in and blew them out was something special.

Yeah lasalle isn’t great. But a road game in conference is never easy. We won in convincing fashion and not a buzzer beater fluke or anything. :)
amazing what having a coach does! Also amazing what having the players to play said way after half time adjustments does…..