Game 14: GMU (11-2 / 0-0) at La Salle (9-4 / 0-0) on Wednesday, January 3, at 6:30 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The game is on ESPN+.

La Salle was picked to finish last in preseason A10 polls. Khalil Brantley was a second team preseason all-conference selection.

KenPom: Gives GMU a 58% chance of winning.
GMU - 103
La Salle - 193
NET:
Mason - 76
La Salle - 170

We are 8-3 (.727) against La Salle all-time.

La Salle is currently 9-4 on the season and 0-0 in A10 play. They are 7-1 at home, 1-3 on the road, and 1-0 at neutral sites.

Wins: Drexel (67-61), Northeastern (79-74), Bucknell (69-57), Southern Indiana (79-78), Coppin St. (81-62), Penn (93-92 OT), Loyola Md. (62-61), Lafayette (67-51), Rosemont College (107-41),
Losses: #9 Duke (95-66), Temple (93-92 in 3 OT), #24 Miami (84-77), Howard (71-66)

Schedule: https://goexplorers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://goexplorers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://goexplorers.com/documents/2023/12/22/Season_Stats.pdf

Stats are not 100% up to the minute as the Howard loss is not reflected. I’ll update soon. La Salle is led by 6’1” Khalil Brantley (16.0 ppg & 5.2 reb), 5’11” Jhamir Brickus (14.3 ppg), 6’4” Anwar Gill (11.3 ppg), and 6’5” Daeshon Shepherd (10.8 ppg & 5.8 reb). 6’10” Rokas Jocius (7.7 ppg) rounds out the starting 5 for the Explorers. 6’5” Andres Marrero (8.5 ppg) and 6’8” Tunde Vahlberg Fasas (5.6 ppg) average double figure minutes off the bench for La Salle.

La Salle averages 78.8 points per game while giving up 74.6. The Explorers shoot 44.2% from the floor and 35.9% from 3. Opponents are shooting 44.4% from the field and 33.8% from 3. They shoot 72.4% from the free throw line. The Explorers are being out rebounded by their opponents by 3.2 boards per game. They average 10.3 turnovers per game.

My prediction: We’ve shown we can win on the road under Coach Skinn and our success continues. GMU 70 - La Salle 67.

Discuss.

Attachments

• patriotvsexplorer2.jpeg
    patriotvsexplorer2.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 78,368
Last edited by a moderator:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Getting into the landmine games. I don’t think we have an at large chance right now, but if we want to develop into the conversation we can’t lose against the La Salles of the world.

Mason by 15.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m not signing up for any expectations unless mason starts the a10 season 3-0 which includes a home win over vcu. I think the season has been awesome so far but the fork in the road for me is that vcu game. Not because it’s vcu, but because that will be an opportunity to show that mason is a legit contender to the league.

Show me that we don’t fall to lesser conference teams, hold serve at home. Even a 9-9 conference record would be a 20 win season this year which for year 1, would be good for year 1. Depending on who we beat, we can stick in the top 100, which would be great.

Like everyone else, I want more than that but I hesitate because I haven’t seen us against the league yet.

As far as this game, Lasalle isn’t good, but conference games are never easy. We generally do okay against them. I hate that we have to listen to their middle school low major broadcast if we want to watch the game on Wednesday. Brickhus and Brantley seem like they’ve been around forever. They are talented but generally all Lasalle ever has.

We take this one. Excited for Wednesday and for league play to get started. Until then happy new year everyone.

Mason 75
Lasalle 67.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This game scares me because La Salle has three really good guards who can light it up from 3 and if there is an Achilles Heel so far in this team it is 3-point defense.

On the flip side, I think they’re going to have a hell of a time guarding both our 4s (Hall but especially Newton). Hopefully Polite continues his solid play and we ride our advantage at the 4 for the win.

This is really going to come down to the Kelly v Jocius matchup at the 5- If Amari can get Jocius in foul trouble quickly, La Salle doesn't have much in terms of a genuine backup at the 5. This should be a game where we use our dominating paint presence and keep them as quiet at the three line as possible and this should be a 8-12 point W- but I always hate going to Olney and Dunphy will have this guys coached- cannot underestimate.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
From reading their boards, it sounds like GMU oughta have an edge down low.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is really going to come down to the Kelly v Jocius matchup at the 5- If Amari can get Jocius in foul trouble quickly, La Salle doesn't have much in terms of a genuine backup at the 5. This should be a game where we use our dominating paint presence and keep them as quiet at the three line as possible and this should be a 8-12 point W- but I always hate going to Olney and Dunphy will have this guys coached- cannot underestimate.
Largely agree, I think we matchup well down low. Think the key to this one defensively is limiting either Brickus or Brantley. You can survive one having a good night, but if they are both on it gets a lot tougher to beat them. Will be interested to see who we lineup Billups on.

Staying on the bandwagon - I think this game will be about Kelly's matchup advantage and him hitting his free throws. Also looking forward to seeing how our size at the guard positions does against A10 guards.

Tony's Pit Bulls - 68
Exploration Unhinged - 60

Pablo

Hall of Famer
La Salle has 7 international players on its roster:

La Salle Headshot Andres Marrero MBB
Guard 6'5" 200 lbs

ANDRÉS MARRERO

Redshirt Sophomore Caracas, Venezuela Upper Room Christian School (N.Y.)

La Salle Headshot Jorge Sanchez-Ramos MBB
Guard 6'2" 160 lbs

JORGE SANCHEZ-RAMOS

Sophomore Torrelodones, Spain GBA Academy

La Salle Headshot Efe Tahmaz MBB v2
Forward 6'8" 210 lbs

EFE TAHMAZ

Freshman Istanbul, Turkey Smartanac

La Salle Headshot Lucas Mercandino MBB
Guard/Forward 6'6" 170 lbs

LUCAS MERCANDINO

Sophomore Córdoba, Argentina IPEM 21 Alfonsina Storni

La Salle Headshot Milos Kovacevic MBB
Forward 6'9" 235 lbs

MILOS KOVACEVIC

Junior Belgrade, Serbia Sagemont (Fla.) Highland Community College (Ill.)

La Salle Headshot Tunde Vahlberg Fasasi MBB
Guard/Forward 6'8" 210 lbs

TUNDE VAHLBERG FASASI

Freshman Stockholm, Sweden Hoosac School (N.Y.)

La Salle headshot Rokas Jocius MBB
Forward 6'10" 260 lbs

ROKAS JOCIUS

Sophomore Kaunas, Lithuania Vilniaus Perlas Energija

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Guard 6'5" 200 lbs

ANDRÉS MARRERO

Guard 6'2" 160 lbs

JORGE SANCHEZ-RAMOS

Forward 6'8" 210 lbs

EFE TAHMAZ

LUCAS MERCANDINO

Forward 6'9" 235 lbs

MILOS KOVACEVIC

TUNDE VAHLBERG FASASI

Forward 6'10" 260 lbs

ROKAS JOCIUS

That's a bunch. Kinda scares me too. Those guys tend to be very disciplined and fundamentally sound.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bunch. Kinda scares me too. Those guys tend to be very disciplined and fundamentally sound.
Only three of them average more than 10 mins per game and each only 5 to 8 PPG. Not too worried about them, unless they get hot from the outside.

Andres Marrero G
Rokas Jocius F
Tunde Vahlberg Fasasi G

Jocius will likely match up with Amari Kelly and Malik Henry. Hopefully we can get him in foul trouble.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Guard 6'5" 200 lbs

ANDRÉS MARRERO

Guard 6'2" 160 lbs

JORGE SANCHEZ-RAMOS

Forward 6'8" 210 lbs

EFE TAHMAZ

LUCAS MERCANDINO

Forward 6'9" 235 lbs

MILOS KOVACEVIC

TUNDE VAHLBERG FASASI

Forward 6'10" 260 lbs

ROKAS JOCIUS

I bet they save a ton of NIL money recruiting like that.